What's the chances of us making this flight? (Epic, Barcelona)

scottishgirl87

Hi all,

We're going on the Epic in October and unfortunately still do not have flights booked :( It's got to the stage now that flights from Glasgow (Scotland) are extortionate and at a price we're not willing to pay. We have found bargain flights from an English airport and so are considering making the 4 hour drive down there to go from there.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the return flight from Girona on the Sunday we depart the cruise is at around 10.30am. Now the Epic docks in Barcelona at 5am and I believe will allow departures from 7am.

What do you think our chances are of making it for that time? We are willing to taxi it to the airport, which I believe will be around 140 Euros (this will be split between 4 of us), if it means getting us there on time. Also, I believe there are some companies you can book a scheduled taxi with if anyone has any recommendations? I believe there is a bus option but we're not sure if a limited service would be running due to being a Sunday.

As it's a budget airline we will be able to check-in online before we actually leave the UK and will simply need to drop our bags and get through security at the airport. I know this sounds a little crazy, but all of this still adds up to much less than the flights from our hometown of Glasgow. Just would like opinions, as we would normally never risk a flight that early but we're really running out of options.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Where are you planning to fly from and on what dates?

Have you had a look on this site as they can often mix & match and it may give you a bit more leeway?

http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/

What about staying in Barcelona overnight before or after? would that be an option if flights are cheaper on another date?

Sorry just seen your CC signature for sailing on 16.10.11!

Where are you planning to fly from and on what dates?

Have you had a look on this site as they can often mix & match and it may give you a bit more leeway?

http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/

What about staying in Barcelona overnight, would that be an option if flights are cheaper on another date?

Sorry just seen your CC signature for sailing on 16.10.11!

I've tried every viable option I can think of and searched every single website I know of! We are planning on flying out 2 days before the cruise, but unfortunately my boyfriend has to be back at work on the Monday, the day after, the cruise. So we really need to come home on the Sunday :( And even on the Monday from Glasgow is still extortionate!

The thing that annoys me the most is from Glasgow to Barcelona, Ryanair is the only available option. Which is a joke! We're looking at £200+ each from Glasgow or around £70 each from an English airport. Alot more choice from English airports too, and the majority under £100 each.

What about this from Edinburgh going day before? I was looking whilst you were replying so apologies that its not 2 days before cruise

Departing:EdinburghDestination:Barcelona

Departure Date:

Saturday, 15 Oct 2011 Return Date:Sunday, 23 Oct 2011

Passengers:

2 Adults Airline:No Frills Carrier

Flight Itinerary

• Outbound Flight Sat 15-October-2011
    Edinburgh - Barcelona
    nofrills.png17:25 / 21:05 FR6266
    (2 hours 40 minutes)

Return Flight Sun 23-October-2011
    Barcelona - Edinburgh
    nofrills.png21:00 / 22:55 FR6267
    (2 hours 55 minutes)

Flight Costing

The price shown includes all UK airport taxes and aviation security levy.

DescriptionPriceQuantityTotal

Adult Return Ticket £84.982 £169.96

Taxes Fees and Charges £23.122 £46.24

Web Check In £12.00 £24.00

Airline Failure Protection Insurance£0.002 £0.00Total

Luggage Extra (15kg =£30 pp)

Just back ourselves from the EPIC cruise flying back from Barcelona to Belfast with Aerlingus.

I am not sure of the greater distance and time required to get to Girona airport?

We were off the ship for 7:50am and had a prearraenged taxi sitting waiting for us so we made it to the airport in good time fo our 11.50am morning flight back. (check in was required for 9:50am)

I noticed passenegers were leaving the ship much earlier than us so you may be able to get off the ship very sharply (perhaps well before 7:30am)

KEEP YOUR LUGGAGE IN YOUR CABIN THE NIGHT BEFORE DISEMARKATION AN DO THE WALK OFF IF YOU CAN WITHOURT USING LIFTS. THis will save time also.

But beware of a couple of thing. To save time, ensure you know exactly were your pick up taxi would be at the docks. We were sent to a right exit at the bottom of the escalators but should have went left for prearranged pick ups outside the terminal building. Clearing airport security can take time as we almost missed our flight out because of security queues!

There were loads of taxis waiting to collect passengers at the docks ( right side of terminal if not prearranged)

Or how about Leeds- Bradford to Barcelona

14.10.11 10.15/13.45

23.1.11 12.55/14.35

£68.00 per person plus luggage @ £30 for 15kg

£50 for 20kg

Thanks Kazza, Leeds is one of the places we are already looking at going from. Although, I've just noticed that the flight time on the return from there is much better than the other!

Just back ourselves from the EPIC cruise flying back from Barcelona to Belfast with Aerlingus.

I am not sure of the greater distance and time required to get to Girona airport?

We were off the ship for 7:50am and had a prearraenged taxi sitting waiting for us so we made it to the airport in good time fo our 11.50am morning flight back. (check in was required for 9:50am)

I noticed passenegers were leaving the ship much earlier than us so you may be able to get off the ship very sharply (perhaps well before 7:30am)

KEEP YOUR LUGGAGE IN YOUR CABIN THE NIGHT BEFORE DISEMARKATION AN DO THE WALK OFF IF YOU CAN WITHOURT USING LIFTS. THis will save time also.

But beware of a couple of thing. To save time, ensure you know exactly were your pick up taxi would be at the docks. We were sent to a right exit at the bottom of the escalators but should have went left for prearranged pick ups outside the terminal building. Clearing airport security can take time as we almost missed our flight out because of security queues!

There were loads of taxis waiting to collect passengers at the docks ( right side of terminal if not prearranged)

Thanks for the advice! Was it a Sunday you disembarked?? Also, who did you use to pre-arrange your taxi from?

I believe Girona is just over an hour away from Barcelona itself.

Hi all,

We're going on the Epic in October and unfortunately still do not have flights booked :( It's got to the stage now that flights from Glasgow (Scotland) are extortionate and at a price we're not willing to pay. We have found bargain flights from an English airport and so are considering making the 4 hour drive down there to go from there.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the return flight from Girona on the Sunday we depart the cruise is at around 10.30am. Now the Epic docks in Barcelona at 5am and I believe will allow departures from 7am.

What do you think our chances are of making it for that time? We are willing to taxi it to the airport, which I believe will be around 140 Euros (this will be split between 4 of us), if it means getting us there on time. Also, I believe there are some companies you can book a scheduled taxi with if anyone has any recommendations? I believe there is a bus option but we're not sure if a limited service would be running due to being a Sunday.

As it's a budget airline we will be able to check-in online before we actually leave the UK and will simply need to drop our bags and get through security at the airport. I know this sounds a little crazy, but all of this still adds up to much less than the flights from our hometown of Glasgow. Just would like opinions, as we would normally never risk a flight that early but we're really running out of options.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Not sure if you are aware that the Leeds-Bradford flights (presumably you are looking Ryanair) are to Barcelona El-Prat i.e. the city airport, so no need to worry about time as it is less than 10 miles away and the return flight is well after noon! Therefore a leisurely morning, and you can get off by say 9.00am and easily make flight. Exceptionally easy to self transfer to airport by bus for about 5 euros each, although if 4 people taxi would probably be best at 40-50 euro absolute max.

We have done this many times, although normally easyjet from Newcastle.

For future reference Ryanair also now fly Edinburgh to El-Prat, but you need in early doors for cheaper flights. Main reason why L-B is much lower cost is because it is currently costed taxes free! Would not waste another minute booking this if I were you!

Not sure if you are aware that the Leeds-Bradford flights (presumably you are looking Ryanair) are to Barcelona El-Prat i.e. the city airport, so no need to worry about time as it is less than 10 miles away and the return flight is well after noon! Therefore a leisurely morning, and you can get off by say 9.00am and easily make flight. Exceptionally easy to self transfer to airport by bus for about 5 euros each, although if 4 people taxi would probably be best at 40-50 euro absolute max.

We have done this many times, although normally easyjet from Newcastle.

For future reference Ryanair also now fly Edinburgh to El-Prat, but you need in early doors for cheaper flights. Main reason why L-B is much lower cost is because it is currently costed taxes free! Would not waste another minute booking this if I were you!

Thanks for that! It was actually Liverpool we were looking at as Leeds is slightly more expensive. I never thought about the fact the flight from Leeds is to the main airport and therefore would save us a fortune in taxis to/from hotel/port. Think that may be a better plan, just need to consult the rest of the group then hopefully we will be sorted!

Always glad to welcome some more people to glorious Leeds, by the way if you want to stay over the night before flying out, Travelodge (Bradford) have rooms @ £19.00. its about 20mins to airport.There is a TLodge in walking distance to airport but obviously rooms are more expensive

Karen :)

Archived