Tulum too much for our little one? Alternatives, too many beach days

tripchick

Do y'all think Tulum would be TOO MUCH for a 3 1/2 y/o? The only reason I'm considering it is because it does offer some beach time and because on the NCL Spirit we'll have several beach days in a row and I'm trying to spice things up for me and hubby. Our little one does NOT want to do anything with monkeys or iguanas. I'll make a separate post on this, but so far we're doing: Majahual beach day in Costa Maya; Roatan.....UNSURE and may be just me and hubby with an extra boat day for her (worried about Sand Fleas); Belize....Bannister Island beach day. So should we do what we usually do in Cozumel and make it another beach day at Nocchi Coccum? Make it a family day to Tulum? or ???? My hubby and I would love to see some ruins on ONE of the stops. Initially, our idea was to do this in Costa Maya. But, the more I read about sand fleas in Roatan the less I thought that a good beach day for our little one to be digging and making sand castles. Suggestions????? We'd like to bring our little one with us to 3 out of the 4 stops. Even in Belize, we'll bring her back to the boat after the beach and then go shop/explore a bit on our own if we're up to it. Maybe we should just consider Tulum on our own??? However, it's our last excursion day and CHILLIN' may be better than getting hot on a long bus ride. Hmmmm .....advice??? Thanks!!!!

We done the Tulum with our kids 3 years ago and it was not the best thing

for them. It was very very hot that day. They were not over excited about

the trip.

My kids really enjoy going to the beaches and swimming.

In the new "carnival compound", which we LOVE, we did not have a issue at

all with the sand fleas. I never saw a one. But I would either way spray your

self beforehand and you will be fine.

Have fun.

My family did Tulum last year and it was too much for ME! It was a LOOONG day, with not much time at the ruins after the guide stopped talking. There are smaller ruins on Cozumel-San Gervaiso(sp?). I know Royal has an excursion that includes them. Even Discover Mexico with the small replicas might be nice for your 3 1/2 yo. Enjoy whatever you do...:)

There are ruins actually on the island of Cozumel (San Gervasio) where you could rent a car and drive from port. It is a short drive - Cozumel is really not that big. All of the other ruins are on the mainland and will require you to take a water taxi as well as whatever transport the tour provides. After you see the ruins you could do your own little island tour and drive around the outside of the island - and even pull off and spend a few minutes on one of the many beaches if you want - many of those are on the opposite side of the island from the port. There is one road that "circles" the whole island so it is easy and again Cozumel really is very small so it wouldn't take much time at all.

We did a self guided tour of San Gervasio while on our honeymoon. It was easy to walk around and there are markers at many of the ruins with basic information. If nothing else - exploring these ruins will give your child an hour or more to burn off some energy while you get a little bit of enrichment. I would say it is def worth checking out and very economical if you do it self guided. You will need bug spray, sunscreen, and your camera !! You will also see a lot of lizards here.

Good Luck in choosing what to do in Cozumel.

When we were in Costa Maya we took the early morning excursion to the ruins. I think it was 4 hours and then went to the beach in the afternoon. We had at least 4 hours on the beach maybe a little more? The beach takes 5 minutes to get to so I would leave dd on the ship while you do the ruins and then pick her up as soon as you get back and head to the beach. Four hours should be plenty of time for a 3 year old on the beach.

My dh did not love the ruins so I can't imagine a little one would enjoy it at all? I however loved it and the guide gave great infomation going both ways and at the site. To me it was worth it but maybe not a full day excursion.

I would take her to Tabbyana beach in Roatan. They spray everyday and rake the beach so the chance of fleas is low. Put a little deet on her and you should be fine.

I would not do Tulum with a young child. I probably wouldn't do it with any child unless they are very interested in the ruins. It's a long day with a ferry and a bus. It can be VERY hot.

Personally, I'd enjoy a beach day or do one of the many other things on the island of Cozumel. If you want to do the major Mayan ruins, book a land tour and stay in Playa del Carmen or Cancun areas. The resorts are very reasonably priced :)

Archived