Half Moon Cay vs Cozumel in early January?

I'm trying to decide on a quick getaway right after the New Year but need help. Dh's very favorite thing is snorkeling. I'm concerned that it might not be warm enough for me to join him as I really dislike cool water. What is the average water temp for HMC and Cozumel in January? Is one particularly warmer than the other? Both cruises are 5 days - one is Cozumel and Grand Cayman, the other is HMC and Nassau.

Any suggestions or experiences are welcome.

I can only tell you that we went to HMC in February.

The water was so cold at every port that I didn't get in the water at all.

DH got in at HMC but couldn't stay in long.

HMC is beautiful, but if you want to get in the water I'd go to Cozumel. It's got to be warmer than what we experienced.

I'm trying to decide on a quick getaway right after the New Year but need help. Dh's very favorite thing is snorkeling. I'm concerned that it might not be warm enough for me to join him as I really dislike cool water. What is the average water temp for HMC and Cozumel in January? Is one particularly warmer than the other? Both cruises are 5 days - one is Cozumel and Grand Cayman, the other is HMC and Nassau.

I snorkeled in Cozumel this past February and the water was cool, but not cold... probably 75 to 78. During the winter, Cozumel will be warmer than the Nassau and HMC because both are a similar distance to equator as Miami. Cozumel last February was in the 80s when it was in the 50s in northern Florida and 70s in Miami. Also, there is no better snorkeling than Cozumel.

Half Moon Cay water temps will be in the low 70s around 72.

Cozumel will be around 80.

I have snorkeled at Half Moon Cay. They have a small reef that is nice but doesn't even come close to what you can see when snorkeling on Cozumel. You have to go on a snorkel excursion to see the reef. You can snorkel at the beach but won't see any coral and would be lucky to see any fish.

I love Half Moon Cay but I really don't think of it as a snorkeling destination.

Mark

I would def. go to Cozumel!! I went to the bahamas in March and the water was freezing!! I couldn't get in it!! The water in Cozumel is warm all year.... Cozumel is a lot farther south than HMC @ Nassau!! I enjoy Cozumel more than I do the bahamas!! Snorkling is better in Cozumel also IMO. Hope you enjoy whatever cruise you pick!!

We have done both cruises and both in January; we have been in the water at all of the ports but you will be warmer the further South you go.

Cozumel and Grand Cayman are also much better ports than HMC and Nassau - thats just my opinion ;)

We did castaway cay Jan. And it was nippy, especially if it is windy. We had shorty wetsuits bought on eBay cheap and it made swimming fine. Not cold in a suit. We saw one other older kid with one, but everyone else was just jealous. Our kids loved them.

We went to HMC in January and it was freaking freezing. And there was no snorkeling, though the beach is one of the prettiest we've been on and it was an enjoyable day. Cozumel has much better snorkeling and would be warmer in GENERAL, although there have been winters past when friends of mine have cruised there and had to purchase hoodies and sweatpants from the souvenir shops to wear around because of the temps. Still, Coz is s safer bet.

It seems the general consensus is that Cozumel would be the better choice. Thanks for all the replies. Incidentally, we probably would have planned a snorkel trip in Nassau rather than at HMC but I really want to see the island and have never been which was the draw for me. I will have to plan a cruise with HMC for April or later at some point. The pictures look like paradise!

Cozumel and Grand Cayman have a much better chance of warmer weather than HMC and Nassau....

Although freak weather can affect the weather anywhere, anytime.

Our Inspiration cruise to Cozumel a couple of January's ago was freezing.

When we left South Carolina it was around freezing. (usually in the 50's)

When we left Tampa there was a chance of snow. (usually 50's-60's)

Needless to say, when we arrived in Cozumel, the cold had drifted down there too.

The air temp was in the low 60's, the pool at Nachi Cocum was freezing and the hot tub was barely able to stay luke warm.

Usually Cozumel and Grand Cayman should be in the low 80's.

The Bahamas will be in the 70's.

Bill

Archived