Chair Hog pictures... post 'em here!

cruzn buckeye

The thing that makes me sad is that those chair hogging people don't even bother to read these blogs. My guess is that they do not bother to educate themselves on the process and etiquette of cruising. I have learned a TON of information on this site to make my cruise experience (and the experience of others) the best it can be.

In that 7:30 photo....that would be me in the chair already.:)

Another chair hog video:

On the Dream last year chair hogging was totally out of control, we are going to go on the Ecstasy in 11 days and I hope its a bit better. I just finished reading this from first post to last and I think I got some great tips on how to handle it.

I'm going to use "the guy who just left said he was finished with it" approach if confronted.

Carnival will actually move the towels and personal belongings for you. Then vouch for it when said chair hog comes back and is IRATE. Yeah..I like sitting by the pool b/c I have an 8 year old that I would like to make sure stays alive and doesn't drown!

The above incident was last year on the Freedom. I watched the stuff for 40 minutes, nobody touched it. I got Carnival employee to move it, and 45 minutes after that the guy came back irate. Claiming he had JUST put his stuff down 10-15 minutes before to go grab breakfast. Yeah...his watch must have been off. lol

• 2 weeks later...
Watch out chair hoggers. I am not afraid of you at all and I will move your stuff in a heartbeat.. I get excited thinking about it... the worst:) GREAT post!

Thixson,

I'm with you and I will not hesitate to move some ones towel in 2 weeks when we get on the Legend !!! I don't save and I don't expect other to do it either. I have done it before with no problem...

Instead of making videos, starting arguements or just plain complaining.....just get the spot you want earlier. If its not available...my wife and I look for a different one....being considerate is a 2 way street;)

"Moral of the story....early bird gets the worm"

Yes,but the bird eats the worm. He is not allowed to leave it there for two hours and expect it to be there when he returns.

I want to be a member of the Kerr family.

Would I have to take some pretentious classes first?

That whole situation with the Post-It notes is brilliant. I think I'd have moved all the towels and whatever, lay down on one of the chairs and left one of the Post-Its on my arse.

That would have been a great conversation when they returned. :D

That whole situation with the Post-It notes is brilliant. I think I'd have moved all the towels and whatever, lay down on one of the chairs and left one of the Post-Its on my arse.:eek:

That would have been a great conversation when they returned. :D

That is funny!!!!!:D

I teach at a high school and during the morning announcements, the students from time to time make the cutest videos as public service announcements. They add catchy music, humor or creative acting to get the point across. On every cruise I've been on, there are several "cruise channels" that give information regarding the cruise events and such. I would think that the cruise line could avoid many of these issues with a commercial/public service announcement. Cruise ships with the big screen on the Lido deck - - perfect opportunity to get the word out to chair hogs and a bit of ammunition to those trying to abide by the rules. It wouldn't cost much and would not require hiring extra staff. Put it in heavy rotation (like those commercials for weight loss pills) and have it play every 15-30 minutes.

Of course you will not cure the problem, but it makes it pretty hard for people to play dumb to what they are doing when they feel that putting an orange on a chair marks their territory for an entire cruise.

We have been on four cruises (okay, one was an Alaskan cruise so that doesn't count when it comes to chair hogging) and have never seen a chair hog problem so perhaps it's more of a Carnival thing?

I did however, have someone approach me on our recent NCL Pearl cruise while I was lounging face down (and actually sleeping) asking me to move my stuff on the chair next to me (my hat, a book, etc.) when there were like 50 EMPTY CHAIRS all around me (we were one deck up from the pool and, yes, it was a sunny sea day and Thanksgiving week...sold out ship)! After I groggily mumbled something about something (remember, I was dozing), the man's wife told him there were so many other chairs available. He moved on but even a lady two chairs away from me commented how rude that was of him. I just think people in general have become more inconsiderate, and that goes for parents! I can't tell you how many out-of-control children we saw running amok on that ship! Two boys about 10 were actually wrestling at the top of a staircase I was trying to get down and a little girl about 4 or 5 was running down the hallway with NO other adult in sight (except my husband and I)! In defense, though, we did meet a few very polite young people. But that's another board!

"it must be a carnival thing" !? Now that is funny....and a bit ridiculous and infuriating at the same time....

Interesting thread with strong opinions I see. I've been to many AI resorts but never a cruise. ( 6 days until the Magic! )

So tell me, I watch a couple of these videos and yes, I see chogging going on, but I also see plenty of emty chairs. I have friends that have been on many cruises and they looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned not being able to get a chair like it had never been a problem for them.

So is this really a bad problem? Can you really not find a chair when you'd like to have one?

I think the issue is getting a chair near the pool or hot tubs mainly. There are plenty of chairs elsewhere on other decks, but the trip to cool off in the pool or if you want to lounge while keeping a watchful eye on your kids, or if you just LIKE a chair by the pool - - that's where the issue lies.

Instead of making videos, starting arguements or just plain complaining.....just get the spot you want earlier. If its not available...my wife and I look for a different one....being considerate is a 2 way street;)

why should one have to get up before dawn to get a chair?to be the "2-way street" your talking about. There are signs that state no saving of chairs. and the ones argueing is the ones that come back hours after they "saved" their chair wanting it.

My son, such a clever young man, came up with a couple of solutions to the chair hog problem.

Solution:

Watch for chairs vacant for 45 minutes or longer, consider all belongings on the seats abandoned and collect them, then...

#1: Turn the items into lost and found. Then leave a note on each chair from which belongings were collected: "Congratulations! While you were away, you were chosen to participate in our shipwide scavenger hunt. Watch your FunTimes for clues. The items found on these deck chairs are the prizes. We wish you the best of luck. Signed, Your Fellow Passengers"

#2 Hold a garage sale in your cabin (Carnival towels and robes for $10; all other towels, sunglasses, books, shoes, beach bags for $2; and sun lotion, T-Shirts and flip flops for $1). You could offer complimentary fruit and copies of the funtimes to people who come to shop. You will want to make your signs at home to be posted around the ship. This could easily pay off your sail and sign balance.

EXCELLENT ideas!!!!! Your son is brilliant! :D

Archived