What do you do on sea days (especially with toddlers)?

ehough

On our last cruise, we didn't have any sea days, but that was intentional. This time around we will have 2 sea days and I'm just curious how you spend these days. Of course any day at sea is better than a day at home, so maybe we will just sit around and relax!

DS will be just over 2, so that complicates things. He can't go to camp and we're working on potty training so he may or may not go in the pool (DD really dislikes the saltwater pools so either way we wouldn't be there all day!).

Just wondering how you spend sea days with kids! Do you relax? Just wander the ship? Do some activities?

We're hoping to hit the baby play groups offered in the AM, then waste the rest of the day by the pool with a little splash tub for DS or on the balcony. We also like lunch in the MDR, which can easily take an hour!

On two previous cruises with toddlers, we walked around the ship and up and down the ramps in the empty show rooms and bars. The kids liked exploring the ship.

I think we will be doing the same in four weeks on the Freedom with our one year old.

I think it depends on which ship you are on. We were just on Oasis, and there was lots to do (carousel, shows to see, baby splash/swimming pool, etc.) When we were on Mariner, we did the Royal Babies/Tots classes, walked around the Promenade, and went to the pool with a blow up pool for the baby.

Also, there's usually live music somewhere on the ship! We took our one-year-old to watch, listen, and dance a little each day. Even took him to the family disco night in the nightclub for 45 minutes or so. he LOVED that!!

What else would you do on a sea day???

2120640140101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

Perhaps play a little chess?

2474751960101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

Check out the scenery...

2961964750101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

Try to get daddy in trouble...

2712904430101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

Study some anatomy:

2975640670101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

And hang out with the captain:

2297751300101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

In all seriousness, there is plenty of stuff to keep a 2YO occupied. Not the traditional toys and such, but all kinds of things to explore, people to visit with, etc. I suspect your only problem will be to find some downtime for yourselves.

We went on a transatlantic cruise when DS was 1 week shy of 2 years old. We were on Cunard, so not a very kid oriented cruise line, but there was plenty to keep busy. DS mainly loved exploring the ship. He loved looking at the artwork and exploring the staircases. We took him out on deck and he played with the shuffle board sticks, we played basketball, and he played with the water guns by the pool (it was April in the North Atlantic, so no one was swimming.) We took him to bingo and let him use the bingo markers. He had a great time!

Just got off a Carnival cruise in June with a 21 month old. We had 3 sea days.. And managed to keep ourselves pretty busy! We would visit Camp Carnival on off hours to play with their toys during the Under 2 time slots. We also sat on the Lido Deck at a table under the over hang, and watch the SeaSide Theater. We did a lot of walking around outside on the Lanai. We would check out the shops also. By then it would be time for his nap and then time to get ready for dinner. After dinner, we usually went to a show in the theater lounge. DS was very good at sitting thru the show - he loved the music and energy from dancing. And sometimes he would dance to music at Ocean Plaza when live bands were performing nightly. It's all about exploring your options on board. There is more or less to do, depending on the ship.. But I truly feel that you'll find something after spending some time exploring the ship & it's activities offered! :)

What else would you do on a sea day???

In all seriousness, there is plenty of stuff to keep a 2YO occupied. Not the traditional toys and such, but all kinds of things to explore, people to visit with, etc. I suspect your only problem will be to find some downtime for yourselves.

Mike, I LOVE your pictures. Those are hilarious :) Looks like the Miracle!

Mike, I LOVE your pictures. Those are hilarious :) Looks like the Miracle!

It was. Good eye!

We were supposed to be on Splendor, but got cancelled when she had her event. Switched from 2 hour direct from 2-hour direct flights to LAX, to a connecting 5-hour flight to FLL. Somewhat difficult with 2 toddlers who have just learned to walk! But, we got an extra day of cruising out of it and really enjoyed Miracle.

On two previous cruises with toddlers, we walked around the ship and up and down the ramps in the empty show rooms and bars. The kids liked exploring the ship.

That's a great idea. I think this will work even for an 8yo. I'll challenge him to get us to different common areas using the map of the ship. Thanks for the idea!

• 2 weeks later...
It was. Good eye!

We were supposed to be on Splendor, but got cancelled when she had her event. Switched from 2 hour direct from 2-hour direct flights to LAX, to a connecting 5-hour flight to FLL. Somewhat difficult with 2 toddlers who have just learned to walk! But, we got an extra day of cruising out of it and really enjoyed Miracle.

I love their matching dinner attire!! I also have twins, both boys, and I couldn't imagine trying to find matching outfits for boy/girl twins :p. Their dress attire was just adorable!!

Archived