Going with Royal Caribbean for Nov./Dec. 2012 Caribbean cruise

Nope, haven't booked, but I want to go November/December next year. I'm pretty flexible about times, would like to be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.Those are my only requirements.

You may want to look for a cruise leaving the week after Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks following. That seems the time when the cruises are a little more affordable.

Well you've picked the most cost effective time of year to cruise - typically the week after thanksgiving is the cheapest... Do you have any idea where you want to go and what you'd want to do? Which port do you want to sail out of?

Preferably Ft. Lauderdale, but since someone mentioned it..I love New Orleans.Would not have a problem with going there(maybe a few days before) and exploring.Was there 3 years ago and didn't feel like I got to see a lot.Also, it was in July. Yeah.

As far as where I'd want to go..I have been looking at the 5 day cruises(would love some opinions about those..though I am also going to look at 7 days cruises as well). There is one of the 5-day cruises that goes to St. Maarten. I also am open to going to Cozumel(again, opinions about ports are welcome.)

If it's a minimal price difference i'd say go for a 7 night cruise over a 5 nighter - I found 5 was good on one hand because we made a week out of it and got to spend a couple days in FLL but the cruise was over way too fast... that being said - Royal's 7 nighter's out of FLL are limited to pretty much Oasis & Allure. Depending on what price point you're aiming for will significantly narrow down your list. The best prices i've seen so far are for Dec 2012 on Oasis/Allure and since you've got over a year to pay for it - isn't that much per month! $799 for eastern caribbean is a GREAT price (interior) The ports are pretty much a moot point when talking about Oasis or Allure - the ship is the destination...

I will say though having done Eastern on Oasis (St. Thomas, St. Maartin, Nassau) and Western on Allure (Haiti, Costa Maya, Cozumel) my next trip on the big girls will be Allure Eastern - the best of both worlds IMO.

I personally couldn't care less if I go back to Cozumel - I don't get along well with people yelling at me to come see their junk they're trying to sell (one bad experience with a guy grabbing my extremely sun burnt shoulders trying to drag me into buy some silver will do it to ya!)

I've actually done 7 day cruises before and had a blast. But I can see where a 5-day would be over way too quickly-not that it doesn't seem to go quickly on a 7-day cruise-it does!

I have a while(saving up for it), and it's not 'till late next year, so lots of time to plan yet.I'm sure there will be lots of going over options before a choice is made.

One thing that attracts me to Royal Caribbean is the size of the ships and the amount of things to do.Not that I've been bored on other cruise lines, but if you're going to have a couple of days at sea, it'd be nice to have a lot of things to do that aren't food related!.

We are booked on the Navigator Dec 1, 2012 leaving from the NOLA port. Great prices.

I am also on this cruise. We have a good toll call forum going. A good group of people. Many, including us, are planning extra days, pre-cruise, in NOLA.

And yes prices are great. It will be nice to have a promenade & promenade cafe.

but if you're going to have a couple of days at sea, it'd be nice to have a lot of things to do that aren't food related!.

I'd definitely put Oasis/Allure in your short list then... but be warned - you might come home more tired than when you left ;)

We are booked November 5, 2012 for an 8-day cruise on the Brilliance (aft corner wrap - super excited!!) From Cape Liberty (Bayonne), New Jersey to Eastern/Southern island such as St. Kitts, Tortola, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan. It leaves us in San Juan but then does a 7 night cruise to Guadalupe and other southern ports. I wish we can to the B2B like others on our roll call, but flying home from San Juan after a day or two there is just perfect for us.

Enjoy planning your cruise!

I'm also looking at Royal Caribbean for a November or December cruise next year, but I just can't decide. Having seen the two new behemoths in port in Florida, I'm mildly interested in cruising on one of them, but the ports are so uninspiring (and I'm not at the point yet where I want to cruise for the ship, not the ports). What class of ship is good for a first timer? Which ships have the Royal Promenade? I don't care about bells & whistles; on sea days I'll be on my balcony with a cold Coke and my Nook. Decisions, decisions...

As a general rule, I prefer the 7 day over the 5 like a lot of other people. At day 4 or so, on my fist cruise I was just feeling like I had the routine figured out. With a 5 day... then it's time to go home. :(

Depending on your travel situation you might want to consider flying in 1 day ahead. Not only does this help avoid delays but you can feel fully rested on day 1 to enjoy your cruise.

Not to hijack your post but we are also looking at November of next year. I see people saying 5 days is too short so I have a question for you all..We have a family of 5 (ages 8, 4 and 4 at time of cruise). DH won't sail without a balcony and kids are too young for connecting balcony rooms...so here is my question...

If you had a choice (keep in mind size of family) between a 5 night on the freedom in a grand suite OR 7 nights on the freedom in a family balcony, which would you choose??

We are thinking of doing the 5 night in the grand suite november 2012, then using what we can get as being past guest for a grand suite on a 7 night in 2013..any thoughts or advice? We really don't care about ports any more (changing from other cruise line to change up the ships) just cruise to be cruising :D

Ya we are booked on a 12 day on Enchantment this year leaving from Baltimore on the 5th of December. We booked it last year on the ship, there was a coupon, and got on board credit of 300 dollars and the total price of an ocean view cabin was $1575 and our flights from Buffalo to Baltimore were $49 each way, can't believe what a good deal it is.

So I would say book early and watch for crown & anchor coupons because they usually have them either in Dec or Jan or Feb

Happy sailing

Brian J

This can be the unofficial "I know I want to go on a cruise but am weighing my options about intineraries and times" thread! :cool:

Doing some reading at Barnes And Noble, I am even more convinced that I have made the right choice with Royal Caribbean!

We will be sailing on the Liberty of the Seas on Nov 12th. (5 nights)

The price has dropped twice since we booked it a few months ago.

We normally do 7 nights but since our son and his wife we be joining us for the 1st time we decided 5 nights would be a good way to get their feet wet . (so to speak)

Archived