Best Kids Programs Onboard?

Yellowlily

I don't think any cruise line offers bad children programs - they all seem to be great, some more than others of course. My son hasn't been able to participate himself due to being under 2 so I don't have personal experience. But from researching, I would assume Disney would be the best since it's mostly geared towards children and families. Royal Carribean, Carnival and NCL would follow. The higher end cruise lines (Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity & such) would offer great children programs as well, but may not have a high attendance of children since not as many families sail them.

I didn't think Disney was the best. ;) I think they were very good. I saw some things that could have been improved upon. They need to mix up their schedules. Offer more. And for Pete's sake, don't allow every adult in the universe into the kids club. All it takes is someone saying "I want to see the kids club and you're in" :rolleyes:

I think for safety/security - Carnival, RCI and NCL are very good. No one gets past the front doors. I LIKE that. :)

I think for program:

RCI is good for some things - my kids LOVE the pirate parade. The counselors are very good with my kids - although my youngest is VERY hard at times to deal with (she is ALWAYS full of energy) The counselors at RCI have dealt with her and haven't paged me like crazy.

Carnival - they paged me for every little issue. However, my oldest loved the "Swimming Under the Stars" -- which no other cruise line does. And my oldest loved the Scavenger Hunts. We are talking the older than Age 9 groups.

We have only used Disney and Carnival. Kids are now 6 and 3.

Disney (Magic) - Very good. Great decor - felt like a kids paradise. Lots of activities for the kids - Needed another suitcase to bring home all the crafts. The Counselors pick up the kids from the dinning rooms so the adults can have some free time to enjoy a nice dinner. Camps stay open late (12 or 1). Characters come greet the kids in the camp. SHow at the end of the week with Mickey.

Carnival (Dream) - Good. Kids did not like it so much. Some crafts but allot of extras they try to sell (Build a Bear). Staff did not seem too happy to be there. Camps close at 10 so if you are planning a late night show you need to pay for babysitting after 10. Freddie visits the camp. Show at the end of the week as well.

Between Carnival, Disney, and Princess, hands down Disney as the the whole ship is a kids program :D

IMHO when I get around to planning the boat / line is actually the last thing. I pick destination, time, than figure out who sails, sadly most of the time RCCL and Disney have not made the cut or had the best price. Generally feel that the kids enjoyed it either way :)

What would be your favorite kids programs onboard? Only had experience with RCCI, which was excellent. Making a tough call and trying to research all avenues. Thanks in advance!

Archived