Holland America....

Yellowlily

We did this same Southern itinerary on the Westerdam with our kids (1 and 4) earlier this year. We went over a school break week and there were roughly 100 kids onboard. Have been on ships that seemed overrun with kids so 100 was a really good number for us ;) Thought it was a great family cruise overall and really enjoyed the itinerary. HMC is always a highlight for us and Curacao is another one of our favorites.

Not sure what input you are looking for specifically, but feel free to ask away.

I'm really glad to hear that HAL is good for kids; we've been considering it, but were concerned about it. (We're looking at a Panama Canal partial transit on the Zuiderdam.)

Anything in particular you recommend in HMC or Curacao with young children? We'll have a 1 year old and a 6 year old.

We have done the Panama Canal cruise (San Fran to Ft.L) on the Zuiderdam. It is an excellent itinerary.

We love HAL and when we took our son with us last year we loved how he was treated by the staff. He was too young for the kids program (6m) but they really went out of their way to make sure he had a good time.

We love just hanging out on the beach at HMC. There is a kids area with equipment and what not right on the beach.

We are on HAL in December with a 2 year old and almost 4 year old so I guess we'll find out! We were on HAL years ago, before kids, so I kind of know what to expect. As for HMC, if you can swing it, rent a cabana. It has shade, AC, couches, snacks, etc. I think it will be perfect for keeping the kids more comfy on the beach and we may even get them to nap there.

Oh, this is getting exciting! :D I'm glad to hear all the positives! Can't wait for our next voyage! Does anyone know where to locate Daily Programs/activity planners for any HAL ships? In particular ms Westerdam on a Southern Car. itinerary. Also the kids program planners? What about sample menus? Do you enjoy the anytime dining option? Also, is pizza available and how it is? How's the spa? Anyone have a spa menu with prices? Fun doing all the research. Looking forward to our 12th cruise and hopefully this one will be the most amazing yet! Thanks in advance for any input!

I've really enjoyed this site for menus...it's a year old, but it still makes me drool!

http://sailing.smugmug.com/Westerdam-March-2010/MenusFood0/11723511_fqKPm#828681369_q2deV

I haven't had a lot of luck finding the kids club activities. I'm on the Westerdam in December and I'd be happy to report back on all of this, with some more up to date info!

ETA: and check out crusinmama06's signature, she has links to some HAL stuff I believe

I've really enjoyed this site for menus...it's a year old, but it still makes me drool!

http://sailing.smugmug.com/Westerdam-March-2010/MenusFood0/11723511_fqKPm#828681369_q2deV

I haven't had a lot of luck finding the kids club activities. I'm on the Westerdam in December and I'd be happy to report back on all of this, with some more up to date info!

ETA: and check out crusinmama06's signature, she has links to some HAL stuff I believe

You are awesome! Thank you so much!!!! Wow, I think we're in for a real treat with HAL!;)

Here are some of the Club HAL daily activity sheets from our Feb. Westerdam cruise.

http://gallery.me.com/seacruise#100152

I have the dailies as well, but haven't scanned them. Let me know if you can't find others elsewhere and I can scan and post them for you.

HAL's pizza is great, best I have had on a cruise ship. Sorry, don't have the spa menu or prices.

We have gotten a cabana the past couple trips to HMC. It is a bit pricey, but worth it for us with the two small kids. So nice to have a "home base" for the day on the island. It has AC, running water, a fridge, soda, snacks, table, chairs, etc. everything you need for the day with kids. For kids there is a small water park and a playground area with swings and slides. In Feb. we spent the majority of our time just swimming and playing in the sand. Bring along some small beach toys if you have room to pack them.

Curacao is nice because you dock right in town and don't absolutely have to do a tour to see things. My 4yr old loved walking across the pontoon bridge and watching the ships passing through the channel. There is a lot of interesting stuff to see just wandering around. We found a small park right by the ship where our 4yr old enjoyed playing.

Here are some of the Club HAL daily activity sheets from our Feb. Westerdam cruise.

http://gallery.me.com/seacruise#100152

I have the dailies as well, but haven't scanned them. Let me know if you can't find others elsewhere and I can scan and post them for you.

HAL's pizza is great, best I have had on a cruise ship. Sorry, don't have the spa menu or prices.

We have gotten a cabana the past couple trips to HMC. It is a bit pricey, but worth it for us with the two small kids. So nice to have a "home base" for the day on the island. It has AC, running water, a fridge, soda, snacks, table, chairs, etc. everything you need for the day with kids. For kids there is a small water park and a playground area with swings and slides. In Feb. we spent the majority of our time just swimming and playing in the sand. Bring along some small beach toys if you have room to pack them.

Curacao is nice because you dock right in town and don't absolutely have to do a tour to see things. My 4yr old loved walking across the pontoon bridge and watching the ships passing through the channel. There is a lot of interesting stuff to see just wandering around. We found a small park right by the ship where our 4yr old enjoyed playing.

Wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing! Absolutely stunning pics! Can I say how excited I am now for Half Moon Cay - WOW!

We took our 10 month old on a 10 day cruise on the Ryndam....he was the only person under 18 on the ship! EVERYONE on board knew him (and asked the same 5 questions about him)....even the captain:) Club HAL was closed, but they let us in anytime we wanted to take him in to play! HAL usually serves a much more "mature" crowd, but in our experience it was like having a ship full of grandmother to dote on him:)

We were on the Rotterdam last year for an Alaska cruise. My then 4 and 7 year olds got a lot of attention and loved Club HAL so much they didn't want to get off the ship in Victoria, Canada. We've found Club HAL to be comparable to Princess and better than what we experienced on Carnival. The other good thing with HAL is that it's usually more popular with the 50+ crowd that there aren't too many kids even during breaks. Here is my quick review of Club HAL: http://www.theworldisabook.com/?p=485

I still have all the Club HAL activity sheets (3-7 age group) and most of the kid's menus. If you still need them, I can scan those as well. Have a great cruise!

We were on the Rotterdam last year for an Alaska cruise. My then 4 and 7 year olds got a lot of attention and loved Club HAL so much they didn't want to get off the ship in Victoria, Canada. We've found Club HAL to be comparable to Princess and better than what we experienced on Carnival. The other good thing with HAL is that it's usually more popular with the 50+ crowd that there aren't too many kids even during breaks. Here is my quick review of Club HAL: http://www.theworldisabook.com/?p=485

I still have all the Club HAL activity sheets (3-7 age group) and most of the kid's menus. If you still need them, I can scan those as well. Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much for your input. Your blog was wonderful! I'm so at ease knowing our 5 yo will have a great time and my DH and I will enjoy ourselves as well. Thank you again for sharing!

Thank you so much for your input. Your blog was wonderful! I'm so at ease knowing our 5 yo will have a great time and my DH and I will enjoy ourselves as well. Thank you again for sharing!

You're welcome and thanks for reading the blog. Have a great cruise!

My (then) 5 yr old son came with my mom and I to Alaska last year on the Rotterdam. He still talks about the wonderful time he had. I had some serious doubts before hand. I thought HAL was for a much more, ummm, "mature" crowd. I was ever so wrong. My kiddo adored the kids club. He ordered off the grown up menu every night. We swam in the pool. We played bingo. We had a blast. The crew were so stinking sweet to him too. I also liked how the ship was not overwhelmingly huge too. I know that's a minus for some people, but I actually really liked that for us. I would sail HAL with a kid again in a heartbeat. I'd also like to try some of the other lines, but I have to say we had an excellent time.

PS, I agree - love ya cruisinmamam06! You have helped me before many of times finding kids stuff with cruises, I'll check that out for Club HAL stuff.

Thanks!

Awww thanks! :D:D

I still have all the Club HAL activity sheets (3-7 age group) and most of the kid's menus. If you still need them, I can scan those as well.

Can I ask for them? :D I just keep them at the link in my signature for the parents here at the family board. It's not just for HAL, it's for ALL cruise lines. We are all equal opportunity cruisers. So I would LOVE to update the HAL pages if you get a chance to scan them - my email for those to send them to is crusinmama06@comcast.net

Thanks!

My (then) 5 yr old son came with my mom and I to Alaska last year on the Rotterdam. He still talks about the wonderful time he had. I had some serious doubts before hand. I thought HAL was for a much more, ummm, "mature" crowd. I was ever so wrong. My kiddo adored the kids club. He ordered off the grown up menu every night. We swam in the pool. We played bingo. We had a blast. The crew were so stinking sweet to him too. I also liked how the ship was not overwhelmingly huge too. I know that's a minus for some people, but I actually really liked that for us. I would sail HAL with a kid again in a heartbeat. I'd also like to try some of the other lines, but I have to say we had an excellent time.

Wow, you just put me at ease!!! That sounds like you had a wonderful experience! That is absolutely terrific. We are like you as well, prefer a ship that is not overwhelmingly huge. Looking back over our cruises, the most memorable and enjoyable of all have been the smaller ships that have a more intimate feel and pay closer attention to service. Thank you for your post! So looking forward to HAL!

Can I ask for them? :D I just keep them at the link in my signature for the parents here at the family board. It's not just for HAL, it's for ALL cruise lines. We are all equal opportunity cruisers. So I would LOVE to update the HAL pages if you get a chance to scan them - my email for those to send them to is crusinmama06@comcast.net

Thanks!

You are very welcome! You rock! :)

Thanks!

Yes, I will definitely scan them and send them to you by this week. They're from last year's cruise and some activities were tailored for Alaska but most of the other activities should be similar for the other itineraries.

Archived