Boxed Wine Allowed?

janetz

That's what I do. So far has worked everytime!

This is exactly what we do too.....one year we got 5L boxes for a 7-day.....last time we only could find 3L boxes at Publix....

Some very good wines come in boxes just as some very good wines in bottles come with a screw top instead of a cork.

This is exactly what we do too.....one year we got 5L boxes for a 7-day.....last time we only could find 3L boxes at Publix....

Some very good wines come in boxes just as some very good wines in bottles come with a screw top instead of a cork.

If my blackberry wine came in a box. I would definitely do that. one cruise I did not bring anything to get the cork out and I am too cheap to pay them $10 to uncork a wine bottle. we checked everywhere, shop, front desk, everyone we saw no one had anything. So I agree on the box thing it is allot more convenient. but unfortunately I have not found one with blackberry wine yet.

I also would like to know, if you did break down the box and lay it in your suitcase. Can they tell what it is when it goes through the scanner? so can you get away with more than one? If so I may rethink my Blackberry wine.

If my blackberry wine came in a box. I would definitely do that. one cruise I did not bring anything to get the cork out and I am too cheap to pay them $10 to uncork a wine bottle. we checked everywhere, shop, front desk, everyone we saw no one had anything. So I agree on the box thing it is allot more convenient. but unfortunately I have not found one with blackberry wine yet.

I also would like to know, if you did break down the box and lay it in your suitcase. Can they tell what it is when it goes through the scanner? so can you get away with more than one? If so I may rethink my Blackberry wine.

No, its just a piece of cardboard. ;)

No, its just a piece of cardboard. ;)

I meant the bladder with the wine in it. When they scan it at the ship. If you have more than one, would they be able to tell.

Also for regular wine bottles. How does everyone wrap them in case they break in your suitcase. I bought the sleeves, but are they leak proof. I am worried about my clothes getting stained if they should break.

Room steward can lend you corkscrew.

I have had some pretty crappy wines from a bottle with a cork! LOL!!! We drink a variety of wines, some really good ones for special occasions and some we consider "drinkable" but not fantastic that we drink just for everyday drinking. Everyones taste buds are different. I have a blind wine tasting kit that has little bags with numbers to put on your wine bottles, we use it sometimes at parties to see if people can pick out the "cheap" wines in a mix with some good ones. You would be surprised how often people like the inexpensive wines best!

Although I agree with the gentleman/lady that dislikes boxed wine, I would not have replied that way to the OP.

OP was not asking about our opinion on Boxed wine but if it was allowed onboard or not.

To answer the question I don't know because I have never brought boxed wine onboard.

Hope you can bring it onboard and enjoy.

I just asked my steward to get me a corkscrew and he did........:rolleyes:

Having said that, however...........I keep one packed in my suitcase now.

I would also like to hear that answer. Boxed wine = fine wine? Ummm, not thinking so much. They can't even age the wine as it is porous.

Wine does not age in bottles either, it's aged in the casks, what you pour it into for distribution hardly matters.

Wine does not age in bottles either, it's aged in the casks, what you pour it into for distribution hardly matters.

That is not true of red wine:

Once bottled, wine has very little exposure to oxygen (just the airspace at the top). Shortly thereafter, the tannins will have absorbed the remaining oxygen in the bottle and the process becomes anaerobic (taking place without oxygen). At this point, the wine's components interact and continue to evolve and link together. Over a period of time, the wine develops increasingly complex aromas and flavors. In addition, it shifts in color from purplish to brick red.

Once bottled, wine has very little exposure to oxygen (just the airspace at the top). Shortly thereafter, the tannins will have absorbed the remaining oxygen in the bottle and the process becomes anaerobic (taking place without oxygen). At this point, the wine's components interact and continue to evolve and link together. Over a period of time, the wine develops increasingly complex aromas and flavors. In addition, it shifts in color from purplish to brick red.

Then boxed wine can do the same in the air tight bladder it's in, no?

Then boxed wine can do the same in the air tight bladder it's in, no?

Technically that is so but the rule of thumb is the more expensive a red wine the better potential it has for additional aging regardless of bottle or bag in the box packaging. Some bag in the box red wines are quite good but the more expensive varietal wines are almost exclusively bottled. It's important to remember that this ONLY applies to red wine as white, rose and zinfandel wines do not age after being packaged regardless of bottle or bag. I hope this helps.

Actually what's happening is, it's becoming wine vinegar. If it's not been drank long before that, I don't even cook with it.

Actually what's happening is, it's becoming wine vinegar. If it's not been drank long before that, I don't even cook with it.

May I suggest you doing a Google search of red wine? I think you'll be amazed how many red wines improve with age under the proper conditions, e.g. temperature. You are correct that some red wines are meant to be consumed shortly after packing such as Beaujolais Nouveau. Most good red wines do very well after many years of proper aging and are delicious and not vinegar. Just sayin'...

I meant the bladder with the wine in it. When they scan it at the ship. If you have more than one, would they be able to tell.

Also for regular wine bottles. How does everyone wrap them in case they break in your suitcase. I bought the sleeves, but are they leak proof. I am worried about my clothes getting stained if they should break.

I actually put the whole box in my dry bag I use for kayaking.

I actually put the whole box in my dry bag I use for kayaking.

I discovered a product called The Jet Bag, there is also one called a Wine Diaper. the lining is made out of the same material they now put in diapers. It cushions the bottle and If the bottle breaks it absorbs all the liquid (up to 750 ml) and it does not get all over the clothes. they are 3 bags for $15 but I found them on Ebay cheaper with free shipping. I'm gonna give it a try. I also saw a video on u tube where they hit it with a hammer and even put a hole in the bag and it never leaked. I wanted to share this in case anyone else was interested.

Archived