Tipping Question

espmass

On my recent Star cruise, I wanted to tip extra for the wait staff, cabin steward etc. so I left the $10.00 per day charge on my account and gave them extra cash telling them it was an additional tip. I have never had the $10.00 per day automatic tip charge before and have always paid cash. I'm not so sure they understood and perhaps they felt it was a small tip. Should I have declined the $10.00 per day charge and simply paid it all in cash or did I do this right? I'll be on the Golden soon and want to be sure to do it right. Thanks.

I have done the same thing you have but when I have given the envelope to the wait staff/room stewards - I always say "this is in addition to the auto tipping".

You did the right thing - I wouldn't worry about it. They will eventually know who left auto-tipping on and who didn't.

Should I have declined the $10.00 per day charge and simply paid it all in cash or did I do this right? QUOTE]

You did it right. If you take off the auto tip then the crew member is expected to put any cash tips in the pool. If you leave the auto tip in place like you did, and then cash tip extra, the individual is allowed to keep the cash tip and doesn't have to share it or put it in the pool.

Thanks. That's good to know that they can keep anything above and beyond the auto tip if paid separately. I always though all tips went into the pool. I did tell them the cash was in addition to the auto-tip but wasn't sure they understood me. Glad to hear they probably did.

If you had taken the auto-tip off the account, any cash tip they receive will go into the tip pool.

The staff will check to see whether auto-tip is still in place and report the extra cash tips to their supervisors and they will get to keep the cash tip plus getting extra points for getting the extra cash tips.

Archived