Are in-room safes big enough for a laptop?

odiesam

We are considering bringing my laptop computer so my son can use the DVD feature on the plane ride. I am concerned about the safety of the laptop once we get on the ship. Are the in-room safes large enough to hold a laptop? How do others secure the safety of their laptops on-board?

Thanks! We are leaving this Saturday so I have to decide whether to bring it or not soon!

but they will fit a small camcorder and digital cameras, wallets, jewelry, cash, etc.....

I would just keep laptops in a locked suitcase and put the suitcase in the closet if you are afraid of loosing it, but it is rare that you would loose things in your cabin. The only time I think you would loose things in your cabin is if the room steward is cleaning two rooms and left one room open and someone walking by saw something lying on the table and just takes it. But I would think that is very rare, so I think putting the lap top in the dresser drawer would be sufficient. I know the room stewards don't really go through the drawers and I've never heard of cruisers getting their stuff stolen from their rooms. But of course, always be cautious. Never said never.

Thanks for the information - that is a good suggestion about putting the laptop in a locked suitcase.

We don't have a portable DVD player - just thought I would try using what we already have in the laptop.

Any others have suggestions - it seems I have read about others bringing laptops on the ship - how do you secure it?

As everyone has mentioned, you will not be able to use the cabin safe for your laptop. I've taken my laptop on my last 2 cruises and just left it on the desk or on the shelf on the table next to the bed and I've never had a problem (or worried that I might have a problem). But, if you'd like a little more security I'd suggest either storing it in a locked suitcase and putting the suitcase under the bed (that way it is both locked away and out of sight) or investing in a security cable and lock system.

In any event, I'd worry more about my fellow passengers than about the cabin stewards......if you have a balcony cabin, make sure that your balcony door locks properly. On my last cruise (Star Princess) I discovered that the balcony door would not lock and that the balcony partitions, on both sides, were open. So passengers from the cabins on both sides of my cabin could walk onto my balcony and into my room if they had wanted to do so. The problems were easily fixed....I notified the cabin steward who was able to close and lock the balcony partitions and she called maintenance to repair the balcony door the next morning.

Any others have suggestions - it seems I have read about others bringing laptops on the ship - how do you secure it?

Four cruises (3 Celebrity, 1 Princess) and we've simply left the laptop on the vanity. As far as we can tell the room steward never touched the laptop, they're much too busy.

If you're worried, put the laptop under the bed in your suitcase. Personally, I would just leave it on the vanity.

The safe is way to small to fit a laptop, even the newer laptops that are really small.

We just left ours on the vanity, along with the digital cam, ipod, game boy, camcorder and other nifty electronics. Nothing was stolen or anything.

You should however, lock up your passport, money, excursion tickets and jewlery. My SO's watch was stolen and nothing was done about it.

Archived