Cancelled Cruise! Help! I am Scrambling!

SassyGirl

Hi

I am one of the unlucky souls who was supposed to take the Hawaiian cruise on the Infinity this coming weekend and it got cancelled due to mechanical problems on the ship. We just found out last night. So instead of sobbing and crawling into a hole, we decided to do some scrambling to find another cruise to get on next week.

So anyway, I need your help! We booked the 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Volendam (Aruba, Curacao, Dominica, Tortola, Bahamas) and I have 5 days to figure out what excursions to do. Obviously, I have done no research on these islands, since we were supposed to go to Hawaii. I don't like to leave things hanging until the last minute.

Can anyone give me some tips? What are the MUST-SEE sites or MUST-DO excursions at these ports?

Any info you can offer would be so appreciated.

Thanks!

SassyGirl

are you sure you can get on a ship within two weeks of its sailing? i thought i read since 9-11 they wont let you board with in that time frame for security reasons. i would call your ta and ask for sure. i hope you get it worked out and can go on a wonderful cruise.

The timeframe for the last booking for a cruise is 4 days before the ship sails I think.

As far as the islands you are going to, we have been to Aruba, Curacao, Dominica and the Bahamas before on different cruises. Curacao is a great port for just getting off the ship and wandering around the town. It is good place to take pictures, especially of your ship docked in the canal. There are lots of small stores and a variety of historical building to see. Aruba is a great island for snokeling and watersports. There is also a very scenic spot on the one side of the island with a great rock arch right over the sea. You would need to take a tour or rent a car to get there but both are available on the island. Dominica is a great island to explore the rainforests of the caribbean and to help the native indians by taking a tour of their part of the island and purchasing souvenirs while you are in that area. It has some good waterfalls to take pictures of and some historic buildings mainly churches. Depending on where you are going in the Bahamas you may end up in Freeport, again beaches are the main attraction other than the old cruise ships in the port waiting to be towed away and wrecked or Nassau which has Atlantis and more beaches. The new straw market is also interesting.

Check out the ports boards for the various islands you are going to be hitting for more detailed ideas.

Have a great next cruise.

We ahve done all the ports you have mentioned. They are mostly beach...Aruba snorkeling. In Domineca do not miss the waterfalls. They are beautiful. We had a guide that we met when we got off the ship. We apid him a few dollars per person and he took us on a hike through the jungle to the waterfalls. This not like Hawaii. You will be right where you need to be when you dock.

Of the ports you have listed we have only been to Tortola. I would suggest an excurions to The Baths on Virgin Gorda. This trip involves a boat ride for about 30 min to virgin Gorda and then a 10 min ride to the "top" of the baths. You then hike down to the beach area. There is a second beach area that is accessed by another hike through and around boulders. It is moderatly strenuous so, if you have mobility issues, you might want to pass. But, both beaches are beautiful and you will likely recognize the bouldered beaches from photo shoots in fashion ads and magazines.

If you drink alcoholic beverages don't miss going to Pusser's either in Roadtown (a short walk from the pier) or at Pusser's Landing (taxi ride) for a Painkiller cocktail!

Hi! Sorry about Hawaii. Hope you have a great time!!

We're preparing for a cruise which includes Dominica and Aruba.

In Dominica, it seems most people hire a guide to take them to the Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls and Mr. Nice's fruit stand. There is also a gorge many hike to. Depends on your fitness level, etc. There is also a snorkeling excursion to a place with underwater springs which creates a champagne-like effect in the water. There's a lot of info. on the ports of call board.

In Aruba, it seems as if people book a boat excursion (Jolly Pirates seem to be popular), or they rent a Jeep and explore the island, checking out the natural bridge, etc.

Have no info on the other ports.

HTH! Happy cruising!!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

So far I have booked a Jeep Safari tour in Aruba with ABC tours. They take you all around the island to see the beautiful natural sites and you get to spend a little time at each.

In Curacao, I think we are going to just "wing it"....from your comments, and other posts I have read, it seems like it's pretty easy to get a cab or hire a tour guide to take you where you want to go.

I will look into the waterfall/Emerald Pool tours. That sounds really nice for Dominica.

And I like the idea of seeing the Baths in Virgin Gorda. I will do more research into that.

Please feel free to post any other ideas!

Thanks again!

SassyGirl

Archived