Tell Us About Belize

LAD080110

My wife and I are looking into a Belize cruise. We pretty much know nothing about Belize other than what we have read while cruise shopping. Is Belize a mountainous country and what is it like where the ships dock? We have done the island cruises, want something a little different and Belize keeps calling our name. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Belize is a beautiful country. If my old elementary education serves me right it is the former British Honduras of our '50s geography lessons.

Ships anchor a few miles off shore at Belize City, the capital of the country, and pax tender into the port on tenders that are more like a speed boat than a slow boat to China. The tender ride is half the fun of stopping in Belize.:D

The tender pier is a gated village type area with various shops selling souvenirs, wood items and various other crafted items. The shopping village contains a handful of restaurants and bars as well.

The most popular excursions at this port are usually cave tubing and canopy tours.

Dianne

We have one many cruises to Belize because we cruise out of New Orleans (we live in NOLA) and most ships go there.

There are pros and cons but honestly, Belize is our least favorite port out of the Western Carribean ports we have been to but others feel differently.

Pros -

Cave Tubing is fun and unique but it takes at least one hour to get there

Caye Caulker is a neat little island but again, it takes about one hour to get there by boat, after you have tendered into port

Nice, beautiful areas you can get to by small plane for the day

Cons

Everything is so far out

You have to tender into Belize

No beaches on mainland

Where you are dropped off, at Tourism Village, is not the nicest of areas. I don't know how else to put it. It is just not a nice area and you are jammed in with a few shops that I am sure the cruise ships control and get most of the profits. Outside of the tourism village - I personally do not feel comfortable or safe bringing my kids outside of the gates without a tour planned. Some say they have had great experience. All of our experiences were people yelling agressive at us to buy things.

Just my thoughts. We have been about 6 times.

Archived