The Observatory restaurant on Grouse Mtn.

tarheelmjfan

Has anyone tried this restaurant? Is it fine dining, or do you pay for the view? We would like to go to the lumberjack show, since we won't have time for it in Ketchikan. I'm terrified of heights & need more than the show to get me on the lift. :p We were thinking of seeing the show & Theatre in the Sky, then having dinner. This would also give us a day & night view of the city. The 3 together may give me the incentive I need to get up there. :o Would this be an enjoyable evening?

OnlyMe,

www.grousemountain.com gives a little info. on each attraction & a sample menu for the restaurants. Admission to the attractions, as well as the lift ticket are all included in the one price. The site states that the admission to the Mtn. is free with advance, dinner reservations at the Observatory. While the prices are high, they're no higher than we would pay for dinner elsewhere & we could automatically deduct the $26.95 that we would have paid for the shows. Sounds like a good deal to me. :) Of course, that depends on the quality of the food.

several years ago. The view was gorgeous, and the food was very good. I would recommend making a reservation. We went early, and the atmosphere was very relaxed at that time. We had a rental car, so I cannot comment about the transportation any other way.

TexasBob,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead and make the reservation. :)

OnlyMe,

I checked out the website, & that's definitely a transportation option. The fastest commute they had listed was over an hour though. Mapquest shows it as a 20 min. drive. We may have the hotel concierge arrange a cab for us. BTW, we'll be there before you, so I'll have to provide you with a preview. :p

On a good day 20 minutes would be the normal, however Vancouver's traffic in the summer can be a nightmare plus if you want to get close to the Skyride it's pay parking - there is a free gravel lot that requires a short 3-5 minute walk but this lot can full up quickly in the summer by the hikers going up the Grouse Grind trail.

I too used to be nervous about the Sky ride but have learned to accept it - tip - don't look down - look up or straight ahead - it's only about 6-8 minutes up and with the commentary you are up before you know it.

Be sure to take in the Grizzly bears - Coola and Grinder have develop into a couple of pretty good showman and there are now four wolves as well

Cheers from Vancouver

Dennis

Urban trekker,

Thanks for the advice. We'll be sure to see the bears & wolves. :) 6 to 8 minutes on the lift seems like a long time to me. :eek: I'm glad to know that there will be commentary. That should help keep my mind off the ride. If we take a cab, will we still have to pay to enter the parking lot? I've never had that happen before. Thanks again :)

Archived