Island in Alaska

Princess123

I have had a quick look on the Alaska specific website but can anyone who has cruised on a Vancouver R/T cruise advise whether a port or starboard cabin is the better option? I read that on a southbound cruise the port side is better but not sure whether this would be the case on a roundtrip. I am looking at a May cruise which includes Glacier Bay (but my geography is so bad I can't figure out whether the ship would be going north or south bound on Glacier Bay day!). Also, any recommendations on specific balcony or mini suite cabins? Thanks for any help you can give.

It really doesn't matter. When you're close enough to see land, most people are out and about the ship. A lot of the time you won't be able to see any land. Also, in May the weather can be chilly and rainy so you might want to save money and forgo the balcony altogether. When we were in the glaciers, the only way to hear the narration was to be on deck or sit in the cabin and watch on TV.

When you are in the Inside Passage, the mainland will be on oneside and the islands on the other (so something to see on either side). When you are not in the Inside Passage, sometimes you can still see the land, especially north of Glacier Bay (lots of tall mountains and glaciers that reach towards the sea). If you stay inside the ship except for in ports or for Glacier Bay, you will miss a lot of great scenery (and that to me is the point of going to Alaska). That's why you want a balcony! It is definately worth paying the extra money. Get up early in the morning, dress warmly and go out on your balcony for spectacular sunrise scenery, and continue to check it out throughout the day. I have so many gorgeous pictures taken from my balcony from all 3 of our Alaska trips.

As for side of the ship, since you are going round trip, it won't matter. You'll see one side on the way up and the other side on the way back, so you will be able to see it all. It truely is spectacular. If you can afford a balcony, don't cheap out on this cruise. You will miss way too much.

I have done 17 cruises to Alaska both as a crew member and a passenger and have crewed on smaller vessels up and down the British Columbia coast any number of times. I have a preference for a starboard side cabin, on that side you are seldom out of sight of land northbound and on your return you have a better chance of going by Robson Bight (lots of Orcas) and through Seymour Narrows in the daylight and in my opinion that is better side to be on. Some will argue that it is port side for your glacier day(s) but I am of the opinion if you stay on your balcony that day you will only have one view, you really need to be out on deck that day to take it all in.

Archived