some fear of eels, sting rays & sharks

merinski

We are going to St.Thomas , Barbados, st.Kitts, dominica & st.Martin.

We have snorkeled several times, I have not encountered any of these sea creatures , but I am fearful. We are thinking of snorkeling in the in the first 2 or 3 places. can anyone reasure me with snorkeling there?:eek:

We are going to St.Thomas , Barbados, st.Kitts, dominica & st.Martin.

We have snorkeled several times, I have not encountered any of these sea creatures , but I am fearful. We are thinking of snorkeling in the in the first 2 or 3 places. can anyone reasure me with snorkeling there?:eek:

Those beautiful creatures, and whole lot more, live in nearly all of the seven seas.

They won't bother if you don't bother them.

Go snorkeling. Observe and enjoy!

The only time "sea creature" ever attacked me was a tiny baby turtle. He was reating on a coral head about ten feet below the surface. I stopped to look at him for a while. I guess he got tired of my staring and he launched himself directly at my mask. Brave little bugger. He startled the h*ll out of me.:p

Have snorkeled with Rays & Nurse sharks. Have never faced any issues. Just respect these creatures and they will leave you alone. The only issue that I had was with a barricuda which started to pay some attention to me. I found out that he was focusing on my divers watch which was shining. He soon gave up when I covered the watch face with my hand. Did see a female snorkeler who decided to try touching the tail of a barricuda. This was a stupid thing to do as you never know if this fish will attack. Best to leave them alone and just watch them.

Also don't poke your hands into holes as you never know if there will be a moray eel. Keep your hand to yourself.

Best to make sure that you don't have anything shiny like watches, jewelry.

Those beautiful creatures, and whole lot more, live in nearly all of the seven seas.

They won't bother if you don't bother them.

Go snorkeling. Observe and enjoy!

I'll add this to the above. These pictures were taken at Grand Turk, but they apply most anywhere.

3 1/2' Barracuda. He just swam around, being photogenic.

5976082560_94925f7954_b.jpg

P7120086 by WillieD13, on Flickr

5975568117_2cd33ff41b_b.jpg

P7120134 by WillieD13, on Flickr

Not only was I holding the stingray, but note the other one swimming along behind me. As long as you don't step on them or something like that, they are quite docile.

5980548461_ac8af0bd5c_b.jpg

P7120205 by WillieD13, on Flickr

I really apprietiate the reasurance!!!:) So long as they don't come too close . I won't be sticking my hands anwhere near them either!:eek: I love to snorkel and see all the colorful fish, and I think I would love to see turtles!:D I think we will try to go in St. John to Trunk Bay or Saphire? on a tour, also go in Barbados. Thanks again!:)

I really apprietiate the reasurance!!!:) So long as they don't come too close . I won't be sticking my hands anwhere near them either!:eek: I love to snorkel and see all the colorful fish, and I think I would love to see turtles!:D I think we will try to go in St. John to Trunk Bay or Saphire? on a tour, also go in Barbados. Thanks again!:)

I assume you were probably thinking of what happened to Steve Irwin when you asked. While I have no idea of the circumstances, remember that he was "in your face" with animals. It was his way. Maybe that had something to do with his being stung (?) As mentioned, just be respectful, and you'll be okay. And as someone else was alluding to, leave your jewelry/watch on the ship. You don't need a watch while snorkeling.

Barbados is turtle city...soooo many of them! Depending on time of year they may b hatching too, so be aware of the babies. I have also seen moray eels in Barbados but they usually stay in their hole with just the head poking out. They'll open their mouth but as long as you don't stick your hand near them or pester them, they usually won't leave their holes in the daytime.

Have fun!

Barbados is turtle city...soooo many of them! Depending on time of year they may b hatching too, so be aware of the babies. I have also seen moray eels in Barbados but they usually stay in their hole with just the head poking out. They'll open their mouth but as long as you don't stick your hand near them or pester them, they usually won't leave their holes in the daytime.

Have fun!

Where do you go in Barbados to see the turtles?:D

Have fun!

Where do you see turtles in Barbados?:D

When i was in Barbados, we took the city bus from Bridgetown to Paynes Bay where we saw a ton of sea turtles. It was $1.50 round trip from the bus terminal to Paynes Bay, the bus terminal is a short walk from the pier. It was a great experience!

3 people have been shark bit on the NC coast alone this year, 2 in the surf, one while swimming off a fishing boat.

Honeymooning snorkeler died from shark bite yesterday, 20' off shore.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44175345/ns/world_news-africa/?ocid=ansmsnbc11

Be advised, more are bitten each year than most people will like to acknowledge, but deaths are rare.

I have only been diving 2 years and have met up with all 3 of these types of animals. None have ever bothered us. There is nothing to be afraid of. If you see one and are uncomfortable, just swim away. I like to follow them around and take pics from a distance :)

Spotted Eagle Ray:

225494_919600980154_5300483_44284521_4770697_n.jpg

10-foot wide Manta Ray (Sorry for the terrible photo quality- this was at night and I don't have a very good underwater camera)

247848_921179900984_5300483_44305116_6421023_n.jpg

Moray Eel:

229088_919600750614_5300483_44284508_2252163_n.jpg

Nurse Shark:

76993_785451930924_5300483_43105892_5187677_n.jpg

3 people have been shark bit on the NC coast alone this year, 2 in the surf, one while swimming off a fishing boat.

Honeymooning snorkeler died from shark bite yesterday, 20' off shore.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44175345/ns/world_news-africa/?ocid=ansmsnbc11

Be advised, more are bitten each year than most people will like to acknowledge, but deaths are rare.

The human population of this planet is 6 billion plus!:rolleyes:

How many people are killed or injured by wildlife while walking in or near forests?

And don't go out for a stroll in your home town after dark. It's downright dangerous out there!

Snorkeling and diving are far safer activities than darn near any other activity we engage in.

The human population of this planet is 6 billion plus!:rolleyes:

How many people are killed or injured by wildlife while walking in or near forests?

And don't go out for a stroll in your home town after dark. It's downright dangerous out there!

Snorkeling and diving are far safer activities than darn near any other activity we engage in.

All 6 billion are not snorkeling or swimming with sharks:rolleyes:

Lot's of people are attacked and killed by bears too.

Tell Steve Irwins widow and children just how safe it is next time you see them, I'm sure they will appreciate it:rolleyes:

More people are killed every year by falling coconuts than sharks. Don't let movies, media or other peoples fears stop you from enjoying these beautiful creatures.:D

Wrong

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2405/are-150-people-killed-each-year-by-falling-coconuts

I can post you many, many examples of shark attacks and deaths, can you provide any proof of your claim?

WOW, now I'm afraid to snorkel. Thanks guys. I use to really enjoy it but now you have ruined it for me. I'll never be able to see a parrot fish without fear of dying. :p

Come on snorkeling in the caribbean is a wondeful safe sport. More people die from "stupid web posts" than snorkeling in the caribbean any day. :D

WOW, now I'm afraid to snorkel. Thanks guys. I use to really enjoy it but now you have ruined it for me. I'll never be able to see a parrot fish without fear of dying. :p

Come on snorkeling in the caribbean is a wondeful safe sport. More people die from "stupid web posts" than snorkeling in the caribbean any day. :D

I love to snorkel too, we have our own gear and do it every cruise and I also spend a lot of time fishing off the Atlantic coast. The point I'm trying to make is that's it not as safe as people seem to insist it is, Cruisers have been bitten and also killed on snorkeling excursions.

A lot of people are "nipped" by sharks in the surf, you just don't hear about the smaller attacks like you do the deaths.

Another one bitten at the NC coast yesterday:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110819/ARTICLES/110819596/-1/search10?Title=Shark-bites-tourist-at-Kure-Beach

Hope your post doesn't kill you, it certainly meets the qualifications for deadly.

I'm sure the honeymooners wife will agree that it's very safe:rolleyes:

Archived