Forced to sail a different line

sdmike

Mature

By the way, one cannot be "wrong" with opinions. They're just that. Opinions. My statement simply suggested that since you and I clearly have different opinions based on Epic, and if the same holds true for small Carnival ships I'm likely to be disappointed on my paradise trip.

Take it easy, cowboy. No one stole the meat out of your sandwich.

Mature

By the way, one cannot be "wrong" with opinions. They're just that. Opinions. My statement simply suggested that since you and I clearly have different opinions based on Epic, and if the same holds true for small Carnival ships I'm likely to be disappointed on my paradise trip.

Take it easy, fella. No one stole the meat from your sandwich.

I don't know anything about the Paradise, but we've done both the CCL Splendor and the CCL Spirit in the last year. As much as we like NCL, we needed a break and wanted to try a line we'd never been on.

We both liked CCL. Not necessarily better or worse than NCL, but different in a good way. One big difference is there's a lot more areas to sit and relax, as the public space isn't all eaten up with specialty restaurants. Go with an open mind, and you might be surprised.

Take it easy, fella. No one stole the meat from your sandwich.

I am taking it easy. Why would you suggest otherwise?

guess your comment was so clever you needed to post it twice. Prefer fella over cowboy though.

I also sailed on the Paradise when it was smoke free. Really enjoyed it. I loved the fantasy class ships until I became addicted to balconies. I loved the aft area of the ship, although it has probably changed since then.

I always loved the layout of the promenade area on the fantasy ships. Easy to club hop.

Are you talking about the adult's only area on the back of the ship? That's still there. It looks nice in pictures so I'm hoping to spend some quality time there.

It wasn't Serenity at the time. Just a small pool and two jacuzzis. But much quieter than the main pool area. But I think Serenity would be a great place to hang now.

I am taking it easy. Why would you suggest otherwise?

guess your comment was so clever you needed to post it twice. Prefer fella over cowboy though.

I guess you couldn't figure out that its was the system that thought it was so clever and posted it twice. My first reply didn't show at first so I re-did it. Didn't commit the words to memory hence the variation.

Enjoy your cruise and when you get to Ensenada make sure to have a glass of tap water or two on me.

With the absence of 3-4 day cruises in SoCal from any vendor but Carnival, I'm being forced (well, if you can call it that) to try a different line. My wife and I decided to take a 3 day jaunt out of LA down to Ensenada on the Carnival Paradise in a couple of weeks. It's an older, smaller ship with no balcony rooms except for a handful of suites, and nary a Blue Man Group or steakhouse to be found.

I know this will be fun simply because my wife and I have not done a vacation without the kids, even a short one, for 15 years. However, I'm going to have to work hard at not comparing this to my beloved Epic, or even the wonderful Vision of the Seas that I sailed on a few years back. So, wish me luck. May I avoid the dreaded "bacon police" :)

Oh yeah, I know that Ensenada is the armpit of Mexico. Been there before. What a great day to spend the day by the ship pool without any crowds.

Leaving in 13 days. Bon Voyage!

ACtually Encenada, if they still have a wine tour is not that bad, a good tour, decent (I said decent, not great wine) and a very pretty setting. It has been about 6 years since we did the tour so I do not know if it is still available.

Nita

• 3 weeks later...
Ha! Awesome :)

Clooney+Men+who+stare+at+goats.jpg

an Autographed copy of my book when it comes out next year(titled "i'm No Hero-( I was Just doing my Job) Who can tell me what's wrong with Clooney's Uniform(don't guess if your not sure)?? :)

Bill(DrFootball)

("I wanted a Mission, any Mission. And for my sins, they gave me one"

Martin Sheen as Capt. Ben Willard in Apocalypse Now)

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.94 final beta for Mac

510694605_ClooneyMenwhostareatgoats.jpg.0852f4a23b35d5266a0af74f862a8733.jpg

I did the Epic last November to the W. Caribbean and I think I would prefer the Paradise. The only parts of Epic I will miss are O'Sheehans and Moderno. The rest of the ship didn't impress me at all. Tiny swimming pools for a ship that size. Mediocre food in the main dining room. And the entertainment was a major disappointment. I guess if you stayed in the suite section with the private sun deck and restaurant then I could see having a better experience.

As for Carnival's suites, they seem like a waste of money since they just amount to a bigger stateroom and not in the true sense of a suite which would be a series of rooms. I haven't checked if their latest launchings have a different set-up. Enjoy your cruise and especially enjoy having the ship to yourself in Ensenada.

I loved everything about the Epic. Yes, the pools were very small but Epic has a water park which takes up a good part of the pool deck. I'm not a youngin' and I absolutely loved the water slides. I never went in the pools and noticed the pools were never full. The slides were in full swing which kept the pools adequate for the amount of people using them. My sailing was near capacity so it was a very good indication for the capacity of the pools.

Re: Epic's entertainment...Yikes...what entertainment did you have on your sailing??? Epic had the best entertainment I have ever seen on any ship in my 33 cruises. The only ship that comes close or may even be on par with Epic is RCCL's Oasis of the Seas. I haven't been on Allure yet but I understand that ship is on par with Oasis.

I imagine Epic is not for everyone.

I guess you couldn't figure out that its was the system that thought it was so clever and posted it twice. My first reply didn't show at first so I re-did it. Didn't commit the words to memory hence the variation.

Enjoy your cruise and when you get to Ensenada make sure to have a glass of tap water or two on me.

That is low. Not nice!!!

an Autographed copy of my book when it comes out next year(titled "i'm No Hero-( I was Just doing my Job) Who can tell me what's wrong with Clooney's Uniform(don't guess if your not sure)?? :)

Bill(DrFootball)

Unlike the US Marine Corps, the Army is not allowed to have the sleeves rolled up on the BDU's.

Dave

If you play Bingo, on Carnival they are only $20 for a 3-card. The payout is much higher than NCL. Most are one-game sessions except on the last seaday where there is a multi-game session. (I have won the $1000 pot twice) CCL does not use the electronic handsets that NCL pushes for $$$.

Carnival bedding is much better than NCL. NCL's to us is rock hard.

You will be disappointed with the sailaway party. NCL's is much better.

NCL is much better about having the ship's officer out and about the passenger areas. On CCL, it is rare to see them except at official events and then they immediately go back into the crew only areas. Hotel Director you probably will never see.

Fun Farewell is on all ships but only mentioned with a one line entry in the Funtimes. This event replaced the free drinks when CCL did away with the Captain's party. The bean counters are still loving this move as you are lucky to get 100 or so folks to attend instead of the 2000 that went to the Captain's Party.

CCL has updated three of the Fantasy class ships with 98 regular balconies but seems to have abandoned this evolution which is a shame. There are still a couple in this class that still have not received the Waterworks or Resort Style pool upgrades.

Dave

Bill(DrFootball)

Army does not roll up the sleeves this way. The underside should be showing.

Bill(DrFootball)

Army does not roll up the sleeves this way. The underside should be showing. Unit patch is on wrong arm.

I think you will still have a great time. Haven't done the Epic but have gone from bigs ships back to little ships and been fine. Been on many Carnival cruises and never encountered the "bacon police", I have always taken as much of everything I wanted with no problems. I don't care for the singing/dancing in the dining room so I started volunteering to dance with the waiters and it makes it more fun to be a participant :) I hope you have a nice vacation with your wife.

Thanks guys. I just have to go in with the right frame of mind. My last cruise was the inaugural western caribbean on the Epic. Brand new and amazing. Before that I was in a huge suite on the Vision of the Seas. I've not been in a non-balcony room since my Disney Magic cruise, and that ship was beautiful in every way.

This is going to be a different animal for sure. I do love the suggestions and the hints, and they "you'll love it" posts make me feel much better about having done this. I really doubt we could have a bad cruise. That's just not our make-up. :)

Archived