What would you like to see on a ship for kids?

crusinmama06

Great ideas so far!!

LOVE the idea about a table manners class. We teach manners at home, but I think the kids would love to do something like this with other kids (and trying new foods.)

My idea for the kids clubs would be more free play. We just got off the Epic, and the kids club there is great. Except that my kids thought there were too many scheduled activities. Sometimes they just wanted to play in the play structure, but were herded into some activity. Our whole trip up until the cruise had been so structured, I know my daughter at least was hoping for just some quiet coloring time.

Additionally, it would be great if there was a bit more flexibility in the age groups. My kids are 4 and 6 (and very close.) Their other complaint was that they couldn't play together. I completely understand the reasoning behind the age group separations, but maybe some flexibility? (For Epic, the age groups were 2-5 and 6-8, and so on. My 4 year old is more likely to play with 4-6 year olds than 2-3 year olds.)

Water slides for 2 people. My son was so excited for the Epic Plunge, but at the last second chickened out. I know he would have loved it, but being able to take him with me first would have been nice.

Lazy River - YES!! If that were ever possible, that would be awesome.

OMG! I finally found what I was looking for regarding the Disney ship. It's been a long time since I've read it- and it is on a blog I've only seen a few times. It took forever to find, but I didn't give up because I wanted YOU to see it too. Here ya go - this is what I'd like on a ship:

Disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/11/ss-Disney-incredible-wdi-project.html

OMG! I finally found what I was looking for regarding the Disney ship. It's been a long time since I've read it- and it is on a blog I've only seen a few times. It took forever to find, but I didn't give up because I wanted YOU to see it too. Here ya go - this is what I'd like on a ship:

Disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/11/ss-Disney-incredible-wdi-project.html

For some reason, it came up as "not available" when I tried it. But I was able to find the article here:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/11/ss-disney-incredible-wdi-project.html

Incidentally, the author gets "port" and "starboard" backwards.

Can you imagine this was created before the Disney cruise ships? :eek: Can we give those back and get this one? :D:p

Yes, I know, this wasn't suppose to be a an actual cruise ship - it was just a floating park that could be docked. No one was suppose to stay on it for "safety reasons".

It would be awesome if someone could take pieces of this and make it reality. And keep it as a functioning ship. Thanks Michele for finding that!

Better choice of kids foods.. Less pizza, nuggets,burgers..

Smaller "tasting" plates of the non-kids menu food in the MDR so they can try some new things (without feeling like they are wasting if it is icky!)

Family Friendly Ideas for Ships

-Lazy River

-Cooking Classes

-Roller Coaster

-Kayak Classes

-GPS

-Science at Sea - Marine, Weather, Night Sky

-Real Pools for Babies/Toddler in Diapers

-Batting Cages

-Snorkle Pool with a sunken ship/fake reef/burried treasure

-Indoor Go Karts

-Table Manners Class - Silverware and Table Settings

-Mime, Magician Balloon guy in the theatre to keep the kids entertained before the show

-waterslide/water feature areas expanded - two person raft

-multi-age playground, either indoors or covered for rain days

-Better choice of healthy kids foods - allow for "tasting plates in MDR"

-Indoor bouncy areas

more family cabins like 2 or 3 bedroom that share a central "family room" it would be nice for families traveling with grandparents and young children to all stay in the same "unit". Also more babysitting services for infants. A special dining room or section of the dining room just for families. The ability to check out game systems like Nintendo DS or Wii. More water slides, movie theaters fun that families can do together..

I'd like to see larger cabins, but not so big that you're paying the same price as two regular cabins. A single room would be sufficient, as long as you can draw a heavy curtain to separate the kids from the adults. Having two bathrooms would be great, or at least a split bathroom.

I'm told that the Disney cabins are like what I'm picturing; can't wait to see for myself.

Michele, thanks for kicking this thread off, and for the helpful summary. These are all great ideas. Let's hope the cruise lines (at least the ones who want to cater to families) are reading!

As far as the Lazy river goes, the Disney Dream has the water coaster and to tell you the truth it is nothing more than a lazy river. I agree with the better food choices for kids, that would be huge. As for me I would like to see....

*For the kids clubs have windows where the kids can not see the parents but the parents can view their kids. Especially at the check in/out window. The first two Disney ships have a weak version of this.

*A staffed secure quiet zone with mats and pillows etc. for toddlers afternoon nap time.

* Additions of escalators or moving walkways to get people to their destinations quicker throughout the ship.

* Designated fishing area on sea days.

Archived