Pros and Cons MSC vs Costa??????

Virginoftheseas

What are the good and bad differences between MSC and Costa.

Just a suggestion but because this subject comes up frequently on both the Costa and the MSC forums. If you would use the search option typing in "msc vs costa" and tick "threads" you will see all the discussion by various CC members for many months on the all pros and cons of these two Italian cruise lines.:)

True, but I would like to add that, on my opinion, MSC ships look better in many ways but the company is a bit mean when it comes to service and food. Costa has those Farcus' monstrosities but tends to be a bit more generous on the service side although, to be honest, there is not that many differences between the two

I didn't find much difference either but definitley preferred food, drinks (selction wasgreater for food and drink on MSC) and entertainment on MSC. That said my one Costa cruise was in the Indian Ocean where getting supplies could have been tricky and it was on a smaller older vessel...so probably not a fair comparison.

I intend to try Costa again at some point in the future ( newer and larger ship) if the price is right. MSC is definitely better when it comes to proces for solos and with a loyalty 20% discount too, it tends to make them preferable to Costa for me.

I agree with AmoMondo that it's true Costa could do better for singles. The lowest solo supplement is 30% while with MSC it's zero. However who like me has the highest category of Costa Club membership (Gold Pearl) gets 22% off a huge number of cruises that are published each year - I usually always choose my cruises from this list. And to tell you the truth, I'd rate Costa a little better than MSC - but I won't get into all the details again. The forum is full of MSC/Costa comparisons.

I agree with AmoMondo that it's true Costa could do better for singles. The lowest solo supplement is 30% while with MSC it's zero. However who like me has the highest category of Costa Club membership (Gold Pearl) gets 22% off a huge number of cruises that are published each year - I usually always choose my cruises from this list. And to tell you the truth, I'd rate Costa a little better than MSC - but I won't get into all the details again. The forum is full of MSC/Costa comparisons.

Hmmm...I cruise solo with Costa and have only paid 30% supplement on ships without single cabins, those with single cabins have not had any supplement at all. Around half the fleet, both old & new, ships have pure single cabins on them and to snag one its definitely best to book early to avoid a supplement for a twin/triple/quad cabin to yourself. The most you'll pay for a solo occupancy is 75% but that is on late bookings only.

For example this year I had a twin cabin aboard Costa Victoria and was charged 30%, last year I had a single cabin aboard Costa Allegra and there was no supplement...likewise next year I am aboard Costa Classica in a single cabin with no supplement and then later in the year aboard Costa Deliziosa in a twin cabin to myself and have been charged 30%.

Hmmm...I cruise solo with Costa and have only paid 30% supplement on ships without single cabins, those with single cabins have not had any supplement at all. Around half the fleet, both old & new, ships have pure single cabins on them and to snag one its definitely best to book early to avoid a supplement for a twin/triple/quad cabin to yourself. The most you'll pay for a solo occupancy is 75% but that is on late bookings only.

For example this year I had a twin cabin aboard Costa Victoria and was charged 30%, last year I had a single cabin aboard Costa Allegra and there was no supplement...likewise next year I am aboard Costa Classica in a single cabin with no supplement and then later in the year aboard Costa Deliziosa in a twin cabin to myself and have been charged 30%.

Could not agree more. At least Costa has single cabins which MSC does not. Besides, when not available, Costa has asked for 30 to 50% supplement for a double while Misery Shipping Company always asks for 80%

If there is one clear difference between MSC and Costa is on the service from their land offices. I just posted on another topic what happened when I tried to do the web check-in with MSC this morning. Last November, with Costa, I also had a small problem and their office was glad to help me, unlike MSC's

Could not agree more. At least Costa has single cabins which MSC does not. Besides, when not available, Costa has asked for 30 to 50% supplement for a double while Misery Shipping Company always asks for 80%

That is not true in my experience. Yes the official pricing is 80% supplement on lower category cabins and 100% supplement on balconies and suites but they do many cruises with no supplement at all.

My 21 day trip from Livorno to Durban in a suite had no supplement at all. My 18 day cruise form Venice to Rio in a clacony - also had the supplement waived. Capricruiser and I are both booked for Buenos Aires crossing to Southampton next April and again no supplemant and we both have balcony cabins.

It would be good if they had pure single cabins but I suspect I would not get a balcony or suite.

Are Costa's single cabins all insides or is it possible to get a balcony? Do the newer ships have them by any chance?

I'm a cruise fanatic and would go every other month if I could. My wife on the other hand refuses to go with me more than one cruise a year so consequently I cruise solo quite a bit. Costa does have several singles cabins on most of their ships in the IS (single inside) and ES (single outside) categories. I've never had one because I prefer paying the supplement for a larger outside cabin, and with balcony on the ships that have them. The few single cabins available are mostly inside and smallish, while the outside singles are usually in the worst locations, e.g. in the bow of the lower decks. There are no singles with balcony on any of the deck plans I've seen. As far as the quality of these cabins I'd rely on Goldryder's experiences.

Are Costa's single cabins all insides or is it possible to get a balcony? Do the newer ships have them by any chance?

There are no balcony singles as yet...but maybe that might feature on Classica/Romantica refits next year and even on the future newbuilds too.

As for the list of ships with pure single cabins...they are as follows...

Allegra

Marina

Classica

Romantica

Fortuna

Magica

Favalosa

Pacifica

You have a mix of inside & outside cabins. All are of the same size as the average twin/triple or quad...just with a single bed instead of two singles, so more space. The fixtures & fittings...ie wardrobes, bathrooms etc...are as they would be in a non single cabin.

Not all single cabins are up front or in the guts of the ships, Classica has inside singles on deck 7, midships...Allegra has them on 3 different decks in a variet of places, mainly midships. The younger ships have a mix of positions for them.

They are coded as IS or ES on the deckplans and they are not charged any supplement...eg...last year 34 days aboard Allegra in a single cabin, with flights & 4 nights pre-stay in Singapore cost £3088 as a whole...unbeatable value IMHO for a solo.

My cruise this year aboard Victoria in a tein cabin with flights came in at £1700 and that was for 22 nights, flights & pre-stay in Buenos Aires.

Next year I have a single cabin for 19 nights aboard Classica with flights for £1750 and later in the year a twin cabin on Deliziosa over Xmas & New Year with flights, 17 days for £1700...again excellent value for a solo IMHO.

Its great to have pure solo cabins, you aren't looking at that spare bed every morning and you get alot of floorspace too, and the equivalent storage of a twin all to yourself...what more can you ask for :)

There are no balcony singles as yet...but maybe that might feature on Classica/Romantica refits next year and even on the future newbuilds too.

Allegra

Marina

Classica

Romantica

Fortuna

Magica

Favalosa

Pacifica

You have a mix of inside & outside cabins. All are of the same size as the average twin/triple or quad...just with a single bed instead of two singles, so more space. The fixtures & fittings...ie wardrobes, bathrooms etc...are as they would be in a non single cabin.

Not all single cabins are up front or in the guts of the ships, Classica has inside singles on deck 7, midships...Allegra has them on 3 different decks in a variet of places, mainly midships. The younger ships have a mix of positions for them.

They are coded as IS or ES on the deckplans and they are not charged any supplement...eg...last year 34 days aboard Allegra in a single cabin, with flights & 4 nights pre-stay in Singapore cost £3088 as a whole...unbeatable value IMHO for a solo.

My cruise this year aboard Victoria in a tein cabin with flights came in at £1700 and that was for 22 nights, flights & pre-stay in Buenos Aires.

Next year I have a single cabin for 19 nights aboard Classica with flights for £1750 and later in the year a twin cabin on Deliziosa over Xmas & New Year with flights, 17 days for £1700...again excellent value for a solo IMHO.

Its great to have pure solo cabins, you aren't looking at that spare bed every morning and you get alot of floorspace too, and the equivalent storage of a twin all to yourself...what more can you ask for :)

Thanks Goldryder for all that information. Those are certainly good prices and similar pricing to what I'm paying for sole occupancy of a balcony. For example, I'm paying £1799 (inc £50 Edinburgh flight supplement) for 19 nights from Buenos Aires. Admittedly that does include a MSC 20% discount on the cruise element. It would have been £1253 (cruise only 613) for the lowest grade inside or outside started at £1519 (cruise only 879). I'm used to sleeping in a double bed, so always have them configure the beds that way so I don't have a spare cluttering the place up.

Do you know if they reduce the supplements for sole occupancy of balcony cabins on their long repositioning trip (I really like to have a balcony especially on long trips - don't mind an inside on a short poty intensive cruise).

In your experience, do you have to book far in advance to get a single? I've only ever tried booking Costa Cruises via their website and very often when I change the number of passengers to 1 instaed of 2, there are no cabins available 9even non singles). OFor my Romantica one early this year, I could not find a date at all so phoned them and they explained that although they were charging full single supplement and there were still cabins available, they restrict the number they allow to go at sole occupancy. I eventually managed to get a low graded outside for a date in Jan (I'd really wanted to go in Feb & Mar). maybe if I'd booked earlier or gone through a TA, I would have faired better. I managed to rack up enough points with my one and on;y 14 night cruise and onboard spend to get Coral Club status, so may do better next time I try. Do you use a TA to book your or do you just go direct?

Thanks Goldryder for all that information. Those are certainly good prices and similar pricing to what I'm paying for sole occupancy of a balcony. For example, I'm paying £1799 (inc £50 Edinburgh flight supplement) for 19 nights from Buenos Aires. Admittedly that does include a MSC 20% discount on the cruise element. It would have been £1253 (cruise only 613) for the lowest grade inside or outside started at £1519 (cruise only 879). I'm used to sleeping in a double bed, so always have them configure the beds that way so I don't have a spare cluttering the place up.

Do you know if they reduce the supplements for sole occupancy of balcony cabins on their long repositioning trip (I really like to have a balcony especially on long trips - don't mind an inside on a short poty intensive cruise).

In your experience, do you have to book far in advance to get a single? I've only ever tried booking Costa Cruises via their website and very often when I change the number of passengers to 1 instaed of 2, there are no cabins available 9even non singles). OFor my Romantica one early this year, I could not find a date at all so phoned them and they explained that although they were charging full single supplement and there were still cabins available, they restrict the number they allow to go at sole occupancy. I eventually managed to get a low graded outside for a date in Jan (I'd really wanted to go in Feb & Mar). maybe if I'd booked earlier or gone through a TA, I would have faired better. I managed to rack up enough points with my one and on;y 14 night cruise and onboard spend to get Coral Club status, so may do better next time I try. Do you use a TA to book your or do you just go direct?

The supplements are 30% at 12+ months out to 75% within 12 weeks out from sailing on all twin + cabins....I would assume the same would apply to higher grade like balconies & suites. I have never used those grades, so cannot say for sure.

Since I rarely book any cruise under 12 months out I have only ever been charged 30% for solo use of a twin+ cabin. Twins are usually kept as doubles, its only the pure singles that have the one single bed, often positioned differently to that of twins in the cabin to give more space. Always very comfy though and I have never had any trouble sleeping despite using a double bed at home.

I use a TA...they deal with all the headaches for me, I prefer it that way personally speaking.

On Classica & Romantica, for example, there are currently 4 single insides & 4 single outsides, you have to be quick to snag them as generally they give one or two to each main market region and they are snapped up quickly...hence why I book a year out. The same is likely to apply to the larger, newer ships although they do have more single cabins per ship.

My May 2012 cruise was booked last year and my Xmas cruise in 2012 was booked this year. You will find that the more unusual itineraries go quicker in regard to single cabins, whereas the milk runs (ie the loop cruises or the longer repo cruises) tend to hold onto their single cabins longer.

Pacifica is going down to South America this winter along with Fortuna, so there will be a reasonable choice of single cabins....a couple years ago I was going to do a TA on Fortuna and the single cabin offered was up on deck 9 right by the pool deck...so even on the newer ships, they are not necessarily in the bowels of the vessel.

Allegra

Marina

Classica

Romantica

Fortuna

Magica

Favalosa

Pacifica

Serena and Concordia also have them. I had a lovely inside on the Fortuna. It was a handicapped person's cabin which was offered by Costa (I wish I could get one of those more often :-)) It was the largest bathroom I ever had on a ship, almost the size of a cabin and so much space in the cabin as well :-)

Thanks again Goldryder for all your information. Think part of my issue could be using the website rather than a TA and also notbeing able to book very far in advance. I've taken a punt booking the Opera for April, as I'll not be able to find out until November if I can get the time off work, so may well be losing the deposit on that one but If I'd waited until Novemeber to book, I doubt I'd have been able to get a balcony.

Think I'll just need to take a similar approach to the next cruise I book with Costa, and take the risk of booking far in advance and then hoping I can get the time off for it.

Thanks again Goldryder for all your information. Think part of my issue could be using the website rather than a TA and also notbeing able to book very far in advance. I've taken a punt booking the Opera for April, as I'll not be able to find out until November if I can get the time off work, so may well be losing the deposit on that one but If I'd waited until Novemeber to book, I doubt I'd have been able to get a balcony.

Think I'll just need to take a similar approach to the next cruise I book with Costa, and take the risk of booking far in advance and then hoping I can get the time off for it.

I use the website to price it up, then go shopping for the best TA deal using the website price as my upper limit. I have been known to book via the website and then transfer it to my TA in the past aswell.

As for cabin choice, I check out the availability via the online TA's and study the deckplans, choose 3 and then have the TA organise the cabin of my choice out of those 3...so far, its worked well and I have always got the #1 choice of the 3 booked.

For example, the twin inside cabin this year aboard Costa Victoria was a standalone on deck 8, midships/aft...no other cabins around it at all. Asked for it, got it and thoroughly enjoyed using it. My twin inside cabin for Deliziosa for Xmas/New Year 2012/3 is also a completely standalone cabin, midships with shops/offices underneath and cabins above, again I got the cabin for both B2B segments despite booking both almost a month apart.

It does have to be said, however, that I have an absolutely superb contact at Costa UK's office in London who has dealt with all my cruises (past & future bookings) and she knows that I like the quieter cabins, and unlike many cruise lines, she is more than happy to step in to assist with queries or problem solving direct with me regardless of the fact the cruises are through a TA. She is an absolute star IMHO.

Archived