Josephina's cooking class

sharke

Found info about what appears to be a fun, tasty cooking class with Josephina's Cocina Con Alma in Cozumel but having trouble finding a website (maybe doesn't have one) and/or an email address. Apparently she takes small groups to the market to shop and then back to her place to prepare and cook the goodies all while enjoying great margaritas. Really interested in setting something up for an Oct cruise. Has anyone done this? If so or you have an details for me please post. Thanks

I did the cooking class in Feb 2011. Loved it. Josephina is a great cook, the food was excellent, and it was a fun start to go to the market first. Margaritas were very good! There were 6 in our group. Cooking class is in a house in town, I believe she rents out this space for her classes. I would recommend if you are into cooking and good food.

thanks, This is exactly what I wanted to hear. So I take it no one got sick from any of the food? You know how you hear to be so careful with what you eat in Mexico. I'm assuming Josephina takes extra precautions? We think this sounds like a real treat since we love to cook and especially eat and Mexican is our favorite. The trip to the market sounds like great fun, too. Any hints, tips before we book?

The 4 of us did not get sick after eating, and we tried everything. Can't think of anything you need to know before hand, just have fun! We did get to help with some of the cooking like making tortillas, guacamole, cactus salad. We picked chicken mole and the fish in banana leaf as our main dishes. We LOVED her guacamole!!

I think you will enjoy the day.

The 4 of us did not get sick after eating, and we tried everything. Can't think of anything you need to know before hand, just have fun! We did get to help with some of the cooking like making tortillas, guacamole, cactus salad. We picked chicken mole and the fish in banana leaf as our main dishes. We LOVED her guacamole!!

I think you will enjoy the day.

Sounds fun and interesting. We will be on the Valor in Dec. Wondering how far to her place, how does one get there and cost. Thanks....really considering this.

Sounds fun and interesting. We will be on the Valor in Dec. Wondering how far to her place, how does one get there and cost. Thanks....really considering this.

We took a cab to her place, short cab ride seems like 10 min or so, but depends on what pier your ship is at. I don't remember the cost of cab, but it wasn't much. If you book she gives you an address and good information for the cab driver to find the place.

Place for the class is 5 blocks from the passenger ferry.

Class cost is 79/person for 2-3 or 69/person for groups of 4 - 6.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We did a class with Josephina at the beginning of the month and I did think the booking process was cumbersome, at best. She does not do anything on the internet herself and instead has an "agent", if you will. He arranged for us to give a deposit through Paypal and it was indeed, all on the up and up.

This cooking class was by far one of the best excursions I've done in any port. My daughter and I were her only "students" on the day we were there and she was just delightful. We took a cab to her house which cost $7. We were docked at the pier closest to her house. She explained to us at the end of class how to walk back to the ship and it was only a few blocks. Easy walk if you are in good shape.

Now, keep this in mind.......Mexico's standards of cleanliness and refrigeration in the market are much different than we are used to in the states. I'm of the mind "When in Rome......" so I just went with it. If you are a total germaphobe, this might not be the right excursion for you. Josephina home was very clean and she has a water filtering system and washed all produce with that water and made our drinks with it. Didn't have any problem afterwards at all.

If you have an adventuresome spirit and want to do something WAY different than the normal "cattle call" ship's excursion, then this is for you! Enjoy your time with Josephina.

Archived