Cave tubing in Belize

We thought this was one of our best excusions. You will be given a headlamp and a large tube and you are expected to carry these on short hike to the water. It is not a strenuous hike at all. The tube was put into the water by our guides and then you just turned around and dropped into it. The water there was about waist high on them so if you fell off you tube getting in, it was not big deal. We then floated through the caves for about 1/2 hour or so coming out on the other side to a nice meal and then back to the ship. I would suggest bug spray (for the hike) and old sneakers.

2 years ago we did cave tubing, it was amazing! BUT we didnt do it with the ship, I always try to do things on our own if possible. I think the guy's name is Reggie and if you ask around on the Belize board someone will know for sure. He was awesome and not only did we save money but we were ahead of the huge cruise ship groups (we were in a group too but only about 16 people). Excellent excursion!

We did cave tubing last March and went with Coral Breeze. It was a great trip and well worth it. The water was great, it was a great short hike to the start of the float and they served a great meal afterward.

I've read a lot of reviews of this excursion and my opinion is outside the norm. I think you need to be fairly young and in shape to enjoy this. Also, it should be done when the water level is fairly high. We did it last April and I didn't enjoy most of it. The caves were wonderful. The hike and the river were not. I think it must have been low tide. We bumped along the bottom quite a bit. Also, the hike was very hot and difficult carrying the tube. There was a very steep hill to climb. Also, entering the water was not for the faint of heart! We had to lower ourselves down a big boulder while holding a rope and then drop off backward into the water into the tube! Our guide told us to stay away from the sides of the caves because there were sharp rocks and said if we lost our tubes he wouldn't give us his! I was scared to death after he said this! I was expecting sharp protruding rocks and was scared to death that my tube would pop. In a very large cave my husband yelled to me to stay away from the center of the cave. He said this too late and I ended up on top of a large flat rock in the center of the cave. I was stuck there! It was pretty dark. If there aren't a lot of people in the cave with their head lamps you can't see very well. I was literally frozen with fear that I would get stuck alone in this cave or separated from my tube in the dark. I couldn't move and didn't know what to do. My husband pushed me off the rock and back into the water.

After we entered the water we never saw the guide again until the end. I think the comments he made at the beginning ensured that some of us were going to be scared. For the beauty of the caves, I'm glad I did it. But I would never do it again

Archived