Tahitian Princess Review 3-13-05 - LONG

sprinkles

Hi All,

Just got home today and wanted to post this while it is all still fresh in my mind (before I get bogged down with real life again). DH is 45 and I am 36, we are total water babies - so you won't find anything in here about 4x4 tours or anything. Also, you won't find anything in here about Princess tours, as we did everything on our own. First of all, this was the most awesome cruise we have ever taken. We were totally blessed with good weather - virtually no rain the entire trip.

Ok, flight arrangements - booked Air Tahiti Nui on own and flew out Saturday 3-12-05 1:00pm flight. Flight was only 70 % full, so DH was able to move over and we had plenty of room, flight was comfortable and food was edible. Pre-planned to share a taxi with another CC couple for $25 plus $1 per bag (yes - they accepted US money) Stayed the night at LeMandarin Hotel. Humm, what to say about that? It was fine to stay just for one night to have a place to sleep. Sheets/blankets were clean, bathroom - so-so, air conditioning was fine, once we figured out how to work it (room key gets stuck in a holder on the wall - we knew that, but couldn't find it as it was not right under the air conditioner - hey, we were tired, our friends had to have the desk clerk show them).

Woke up very early next morning and went to the marche (market on Sunday was mostly for locals - fresh fish and stuff, but there were flowers available, but we went back on Monday to get the flowers). Checked out of hotel at 11:00 am and hung out in the lobby for 30 minutes. Walked over to the ship (with our luggage, very close). Checked in and got on the ship. Had lunch, then our room was ready (6024 very nice location - never heard anything from the showroom below - very convenient for the tender location, etc.)

Day 2 on Papeete. Took the Moorea Express (right next to the ship) for $20pp and a 30 minute ride over to Moorea. LeTruck was right there and we took it over to the Sheraton. Nice way to start our trip. Enjoyed the beach, snorkeling was OK there (off to the left of the dock area). Had an awesome massage at the Spa at the Sheraton (the Balinese) without any hard sell afterward. Walked back up to the road to catch LeTruck and had to wait an hour and 10 minutes. We were starting to freak out, as we had to catch the 2:50 ferry back to Papeete as the next ferry would not be until 4:30pm and the ship sailed at 5:00pm. There were plenty of taxis that we let pass by, but then when we wanted one, they weren't around. It all worked out, we caught LeTruck and made it back to the ship (it showed up at 2:00pm).

HUAHINE

Pre-booked Marc's Motu tour. He was right there waiting for us. We were in heaven on our little boat, cruising around. The first snorkeling stop was pretty good. Then we just relaxed and cruised around the island in some beautiful waters. Second snorkeling stop, no big deal, but we did not spend alot of time there. The picnic was fun, in the tables with the BBQ and very relaxing. Musicians, free flowing Hinano, water, sodas. Very hospitable and a nice day, would highly recommend Marc's tour.

Sea day to Roratonga, again, we were blessed with great weather, no problems.

RAROTONGA -

LOVED the island. We walked down to the town (about a 15 minute walk) to Cook's Corner (look to your right when you see the street sign for Cook's Corner). There is a little covered snack place that has a sign out front for the bus. The sign will tell you, when the next bus is coming. We went clockwise to Muri Beach. Beach was kinda destroyed from all the Cyclones, snorkeling not so good. So we spent an hour there then jumped back on the city bus. (bus is very good, it takes an hour to get all the way around the island - so when you get off - look at your watch and you will know that the next bus will come in exactly one hour - half an hour or so if you want to go back the other direction). We continued clockwise around the island and started seeing really pretty beaches, so we decided to get off at the Rarotongan Resort. The bus pulled up right to the front lobby as a regular stop. It was GORGEOUS - nice beach, great snorkeling, no one bothered us. BIG HUGE WARNING though. We had made a snorkeling run with the current and had walked back to our stuff on the beach. I had taken off my fins (which yes we did need in many places) and while I was walking at the edge of the water I apparently stepped on the little tiny fish who stings you. While I was sitting in the sand rubbing my big toe that was in immense pain - one of the workers at the place came by and told me what it was, said not to worry about it that the pain would go away in half and hour. Well it took about an hour before I was really able to stop whimpering and it hurt for a full day and a half. Anyway, we never walked on another beach without water shoes again. Took the bus continuing clockwise and went back to town for a little shopping.

Second sea day - great weather, didn't do much on-board as we needed the rest.

This is long so I had better split it up.

Tammy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived