Anyone do the felluca ride on the Nile?

We're customizing a tour for 4 adults and 2 small children and debating whether to do the felluca boat ride on the Nile or just stick with the Pyramids/Sphinx and Cairo Museum. Is the felluca ride anything special other than being on the Nile?

If we still have some time after the pyramids and museum, any other stops worthwhile on a 1 day tour? Papayrus, bazaar, etc? We will be going to Istanbul and plan to visit the Grand Bazaar there.

ETA: I understand the museum could take days to absorb but considering we're travelling with 2 small kids my expectation is we won't spend a lot of time there, but will just focus on the highlights.

We did Felucca on the Nile and it was lovely but we had a lot more time to spend in Cairo than you do. A tip on the museum: go to their web site and review the entire map of the museum and all the exhibits. Then plan what you want to see. We were with a group and had a guide who was marvelous but lectured in great detail at every stop. there were things at the museum that I wanted to see and would have been horrid if I had missed them so I let my husband go on the guided tour and I took the map I downloaded and printed out with my list of everything I wanted to see and where it was located. I have not regretted it for one second!! PS: I had 5 kids and used to take them to the museum of natural history frequently.....kids are interested in what you make interesting to them. Have a wonderful trip. If you have extra time, go to Saqqara....it was amazing. If I were traveling with youngsters I would avoid the bazaar.....it's teeming with people and I'd be afraid of becoming separated. IMHO, the bazaar in Istanbul is much better and much more family friendly. And if you have time the kiddies might enjoy the Topkapi Museum, it's small with a lot of things that would appeal to them.

I don't know if our felluca was a normal felluca but that's what they called it. It was a good sized metal boat that just went down the Nile. It was decorated and played loud rap music. I would not recommend it. Like the last poster said, Saqqara was worth a visit instead. They have the decorated tombs there and it was a highlight.

Thank you for the responses so far. The felluca ride doesn't sound all that great, but it would be cool to say we sailed on the Nile :).

A number of folks have said to skip Saqqara since we're visiting the pyramids, even an Egyptian friend of mine said that but you've peaked my interest and I will go back and research it. Do you recall how long the drive was from the pyramids to Saqqara?

We've taken the kids to the museum of natural history, aquariums, toured historic sites, etc, so I agree we can make things interesting to them. I'm thinking to do a scavenger hunt of sorts. I will definitely download the museum map in advance and study it, great tip!

Thank you for the responses so far. The felluca ride doesn't sound all that great, but it would be cool to say we sailed on the Nile :).

A number of folks have said to skip Saqqara since we're visiting the pyramids, even an Egyptian friend of mine said that but you've peaked my interest and I will go back and research it. Do you recall how long the drive was from the pyramids to Saqqara?

We've taken the kids to the museum of natural history, aquariums, toured historic sites, etc, so I agree we can make things interesting to them. I'm thinking to do a scavenger hunt of sorts. I will definitely download the museum map in advance and study it, great tip!

We were on a tour bus and as I recall it took about 40 minutes from the Sphinx. Driving in Egypt is unlike anywhere else in the world and I've been to Rome, Paris, Istanbul....trust me they cannot hold a candle to Cairo. It can take as long as an hour to go a mile, so the time it takes to go anywhere is totally unreliable! One place you might do instead of Saqqara is the boat at the pyramids. I don't remember the name off hand, but it was a fully intact boat that was excavated at the pyramids and is now housed in a museum which costs extra. It's three stories high and you can walk completely around it on all three levels. It was amazing and aside from it's historical value, the museum is air-conditioned and has the cleanest bathrooms around! Sorry about the background, I'm having a senior moment, but I'm sure other posters will know exactly what I'm talking about!

Thanks for the info and link on the boat. I had read about it previously but never looked into it further.

I've been to Vietnam and India where the driving is unbelieveable so I'll have to compare it to Cairo. :)

Betcha Cairo wins!!! Although India is a viable first! Solar Boat....that's the one!! Thank you to my Aussie friend! :D I think your children would really enjoy it and it is an amazing thing to see and you're going to be there anyway. You will also have an opportunity to ride the camels at the pyramids. DON'T LET THEM TAKE YOUR CAMERA! They won't steal it but they won't give it back til you pay them for the pictures they'll take of you and your family in front of the pyramids! Vendors will be all over you trying to sell you stuff and give you camel rides...it was the only part of Egypt I didn't like, but they won't harm you, they're just persistent.

We prebooked a camel ride at the pryamids through our private tour. I assume I won't have the camera issues you mentioned if my guide takes the photos for us?

Probably not because you're private guide will tell them to leave you alone, which is the only fault I found with our tour guide....it was quite frightening to be surrounded as we moved away from our bus and our guide should have prepared us. But again I stress that at no time were we or our cameras in jeopardy, the vendors are merely trying to earn as much money as they can while speaking very little english.....and some of the english they come up with to get your attention is priceless!!! I'm glad you booked your camel ride ahead....it's quite an experience especially getting on! Have your cameras ready when the children get on and the camel stands up.....:D

Is there any chance one or two of the adults could take the children on the felluca ride and the other adults go to the Cairo Museum? Although the museum is loaded with antiquities they are not displayed in a hands on kid friendly way.

We had 3 days in Cairo. One of my favorite memories is when our driver picked up falafel and foul(sp?) sandwiches that we ate on the low wall by the Giza Pyramids. It overlooks KFC! The Red Pyramid was practically deserted when we went (11/09).

Archived