Cooking demo question

pisces68

It's free and a good way to get samples of the steakhouse.

I think it's a lot of fun if you like that type of thing (kind of like watching a food demo on the food network).

If you want a good seat, just get there a little early. The last one I went to it was standing room only.

Hi, I've heard that some ships having cooking demos. Does anyone know if there is a fee for this and what are your opinions on it.. thank you.

Since your question has already been answered I will say this. I didn't even know that they did this type of thing until I was reading a review yesterday. I love this type of thing and I am hoping that I get a chance to check it out.

Thanks for the info. I am in the food service biz so yeah, I love this kind of stuff :-) I am glad to hear its free and I'll definitely get there early. I'll try to write a review when I get home. Thanks again for the info!

Pisces...here is an excerpt from our 2010 Splendor cruise...

There was a cooking demo in the Pinnacle at 12:30 p.m. that I made sure to attend. The demo was on the side of the restaurant where the chefs cook and was filled to capacity. ACD Stephanie was the host/narrator as the chefs prepared the various dishes. Once again Stephanie disappointed me as it was evident she knew absolutely zero about cooking. I held my tongue when she informed us that clarified butter was what was skimmed off the TOP of melted butter. I was surprised that one of the chefs didn’t correct her but they were busy with their own preparations. First up was a Mushroom Cappuccino (mushroom soup). Toward the middle of the demo several wait staff appeared with trays of tiny cups filled with the soup. Killer!!! We were going to be able to try all the demos. In effect I was having lunch in the Pinnacle (a fact you know I just had to rub into RC). Next up was a baby spinach salad with homemade dressing followed by a pan roasted chicken breast (all very yummy!!) The side dish was potato and mac and cheese. Of course I had already tried the ship’s mac and cheese on the advice of others and found it to be terrific. As we walked into the Pinnacle for the demo we were handed a pamphlet with various recipes EXCEPT for the mac and cheese so I was very excited to learn the recipe. Poor Stephanie…just couldn’t seem to get the ingredients right as the preparation was being explained so a mental note was made to dash up to the Chef once the presentation was over to get it all written down. We finished up with tiramisu. All in all it was somewhat informative and quite delicious.

Some of the ports do this as well. My DD and SIL did this in Cozumel and had great time. They do shots while cooking!

Wow, I had no idea. I wonder if they do that in any of the Eastern Caribbean ports. That would be cool.

Hi, I've heard that some ships having cooking demos. Does anyone know if there is a fee for this and what are your opinions on it.. thank you.

Does everyone know if this is offered on all the ships? I'm going on the Inspiration and would love to go to it. Thanks in advance for the replies.

There was a cooking demo in the Pinnacle at 12:30 p.m. that I made sure to attend. The demo was on the side of the restaurant where the chefs cook and was filled to capacity. ACD Stephanie was the host/narrator as the chefs prepared the various dishes. Once again Stephanie disappointed me as it was evident she knew absolutely zero about cooking. I held my tongue when she informed us that clarified butter was what was skimmed off the TOP of melted butter. I was surprised that one of the chefs didn’t correct her but they were busy with their own preparations. First up was a Mushroom Cappuccino (mushroom soup). Toward the middle of the demo several wait staff appeared with trays of tiny cups filled with the soup. Killer!!! We were going to be able to try all the demos. In effect I was having lunch in the Pinnacle (a fact you know I just had to rub into RC). Next up was a baby spinach salad with homemade dressing followed by a pan roasted chicken breast (all very yummy!!) The side dish was potato and mac and cheese. Of course I had already tried the ship’s mac and cheese on the advice of others and found it to be terrific. As we walked into the Pinnacle for the demo we were handed a pamphlet with various recipes EXCEPT for the mac and cheese so I was very excited to learn the recipe. Poor Stephanie…just couldn’t seem to get the ingredients right as the preparation was being explained so a mental note was made to dash up to the Chef once the presentation was over to get it all written down. We finished up with tiramisu. All in all it was somewhat informative and quite delicious.

Thank you so much for this! Very informative. I really enjoyed it. All in all it sounds like your saying it would definitely be worth it. Do you remember how long the presentation was?

Does everyone know if this is offered on all the ships? I'm going on the Inspiration and would love to go to it. Thanks in advance for the replies.

I don' think it is offerred on all ships. The only ones I have been on are the ships that have a steakhouse. The food demo is actually a demo of some of the food that is offerred exclusively in the steakhouse. I don't think the Inspiration has a steakhouse ( haven't sailed that ship) , so I could be wrong.

We go to these every time, they are alot of fun (usually). Dont eat lunch first though, as you get quite a few samples. Its basically an advertisment for the Steakhouse, but its all good. You get to sample some of the food served there.

We had to miss a port on the Pride and they had just begun putting this on some ships....the Pride not being one of them. I want to go to it again now that they know what's going on, haha. Since it was the first time, it was confusing and very unorganized. It was done as an "emergency" activity to keep people happy about not being able to dock.

The food was pretty good, they made some sort of beef dish and berry cheesecake.

I attended the cooking demo on the Miracle in March, and I enjoyed it a lot. The chefs prepared mushroom cappuccino, spinach salad. a broiled chicken dish and tiramisu, and we sampled everything. They also gave us the recipes for each dish. It lasted about an hour, and I immediately made reservations for the steak house after the demo. If you enjoy cooking or eating, it's well worth the hour or so to go.

They did not have it on the Inspiration when we we sailed on her.

We did the cooking demo on the Dream and loved it! I hope they offer it on the Freedom because I will definitely attend again.

Is this something in the Capers? How do I find out when/where it will be? I am so excited. I'll be on the Valor Sunday :-)

Yes, the time will be advertised in the Fun Times, so just check it daily. In my experience, it always occurred on one of the sea days. A crowd usually starts forming 10-15 outside the steakhouse before it even starts.

Have a great cruise!

I attended the cooking demo on the Miracle in March, and I enjoyed it a lot. The chefs prepared mushroom cappuccino, spinach salad. a broiled chicken dish and tiramisu, and we sampled everything. They also gave us the recipes for each dish. It lasted about an hour, and I immediately made reservations for the steak house after the demo. If you enjoy cooking or eating, it's well worth the hour or so to go.

From a business standpoint..I think you are the kind of person that this demo is designed for. Not people like me who have no interest in booking the steakhouse..but I am still going to go to the demo..LOL.

The whole time reading this thread I was thinking that this is a good way to advertise the steakhouse and the food there.

This is the same demo when we were on the Splendor in '09. Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 dishes were heavy on the mushroom. A friend went to it & could only try the Tiramisu because he is allergic to mushrooms.

IIRC, Stephanie, was also on the ship & I didn't think she was a very good ACD in general.

Archived