I have 1.5 days... please help with last minute supplies!

lakerman

Hello all,

I leave on the Oosterdam this Satuday (3/26) and have basically a day left to pack for the cruise. My girlfriend I'm bringing along has no idea we're going on a cruise so its hard for me to tell her what to pack...

Are there any mandatory things I need that I need to bring besides the essentials; clothing, shoes, toiletires, money, sunglasses, sunblock, back pack, camera?

This is what I have planned: It's on the 7-day cruise to Mexico; Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV. In Cabo, I have nothing planned, but would like to swin. In Mazatlan, I am going on Miguel's horses and in PV, the Canopy tour. Do I need bugspray? I try to search, but am still confused... maybe just nervous because time is my enemy right now.

As for the formal nights, I plan to rent a tux... when do I request the rental, when I first board the ship? Also, what should I tell my girlfriend to wear for formal nights? What type of dress is acceptable? I am so confused... Please help. It's a 7-day cruise... please give me a guide or post a helpful link. I'm sorry for beating a dead horse. Do I need pesos also or is cash fine? I bet I need a lot of one dollar bills...

And we can't wear jeans during dinner? =/

I'm all for surprises, but to not let the girlfriend plan for a cruise?!?

Let her know she will need several bathing suits, a couple dressy outfits (a little black dress is perfect), a couple of nice pantsuits (or dresses) and a couple casual outfits for dinner, shorts and sundresses for daytime. If she has clothes that she has maybe worn to a wedding or formal affair, that would be fine if she doesn't already have a little black dress. You will both need shoes you can walk in and pool or beach shoes.

I have always thought that tuxedos needed to be ordered in advance of the cruise, but I have seen signs for rentals onboard, so get there as soon as you can, sometimes the first formal night is the second night out.

Your packing list sounds pretty good for a light packer, I might add a small first aid kit. You might want to pick up a disposable waterproof camera and leave the nicer camera onboard on beach days.

So, being a female, I would list the following:

3 bathing suits/one coverup

3 pair shorts and tops to go with

1 or 2 sundresses

2 pair longer pants or capri length pants and tops to go with (travel)

1 or 2 formal dresses (formal nights)

1 pair black pants and 2 dressy tops/or 2 pantsuits or dresses (semi formal nights)

2 pair casual pants with tops to go with (casual night)

shoes

bras, underwear, socks

pajamas (?) personal preference

robe

makeup

hair stuff

BTW, I think it's a fun surprise, but she might be a little angry for not being able to plan a perfect wardrobe!

Yes, the cruiselines do request that you not wear jeans at night, the first night perhaps is an exception.

lakerman.....it is too late to order a tuxedo ahead of time.

You can order one when you get on the ship. Hopefully, you are not a hard fit...and they will be able to accomodate you nicely.

The gift stores onboard will sell lots of formal jewelry....if your girlfriend needs some. It's nice...costume jewelry. Then, of course...they sell the real stuff, too!

Don't panic. We're here to help you. :)

What else do you need?

You can send your clothes out to be laundered...if you run out of what you need.

Most folks overpack for a cruise.

You do have a certified copy of your birth certificates, right? Or...a passport.

Call you credit card company and tell them you will be leaving the country. Sometimes, when charges sgtart to show up....from another country, the cc company will put your card on hold while they confirm it is you doing the spending. A hazzle, that can be avoided.

Don't forget an extension cord with additional plugs (2 or 3 for 1). Most ships have only one outlet that is easily accessible and if you have a digital camera you will need the outlets for recharging batteries as well as other things.

Have a great next cruise.

You like to live on the edge, don't you. Does your girlfriend normally wear a hat for sun protection? I take it your girlfriend knows she is going away just not where. If so, let her know to bring something like a shawl or light sweater for the evenings as it is usually a bit cool (dining room air conditioning and out on the deck). If your itinerary has at sea days then she will need something a bit warmer for walking on deck, e.g. lightweight jogging suit, pants and a light sweatshirt, etc. Don't forget any medication she might need.

Also a nice card from you telling her why you wanted to surprise her with a cruise might be a nice touch. Obviously you care alot.

Have a wonderful time.

Thanks everyone.

My next main concern is dress code. Here's the link to my question (also in this forum). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=155337

Also, does anyone recommend any good bug spray... and are travel steamers really that effective and mandatory for the vacation? I know for sure my clothes will be wrinkled.

Lakerman...... Go to your grocery store. In the laundry products area, you can find a spray that will release wrinkles from your clothes.

You spray it on, flatten the wrinles with your hands and then let it dry.

We used this recently on a cruise...and it works really well.

Archived