Good news:booked Oasis.....Bad News: Over a year away!

So we have been looking at this cruise for a while now and finally booked today. We have an overall knowledge of Oasis but for those who initimately know the ship, what are the must do's for an active family of 4 (kids will be 19 & 21 at time of sailing...not really kids any more!). We know the flowrider (did that on Freedom) and the zip line and skating but what are the other options? And what about food? Should we be pre-booking meals (we liked Chops on Freedom)? And I believe we need to pre-book shows....what are the options and when do we book? (I am sure it is too early now).

We are all excited and the kids of course have it all over Facebook so wanted to tell them more about our upcoming adventure. So tell us all about your experiences and secret tips.....

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry,

Don't worry, I booked my Oasis Cruise two years ago, we are leaving on Sept 17th. I am going to write a review when I get back, but there is lots to read on here about Oasis...

I am so excited that it is finally here!

Kathy

Here is a link for a thread on Oasis tips. Go back a page or 2 from the last page and Texas Sweat Pea posts links for tips that she shared. They are very useful! I sympathize with the booked and now a year away. We booked the Oasis last October and it's finally a little over 13 weeks away!

Link for Oasis tips

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1425147&page=5

This will give you lots of time to plan and research all you want to do on and off the ship! Before you know it, it will be time for you to go on your cruise. Be sure to go to the roll call section and join in the planning with others that will be on your cruise. You will not be able to book the entertainment for your cruise until around 90 days out. There is lots of information on the ship, and ports of call. Have great fun doing all the planning! It is almost as fun as the cruise itself!

It goes quickly! We booked onboard- a whole year ahead, now it's only 4 months! It flew by with research; such a big ship, lots to explore. The good news is you wont be able to book specialty restaurants and excursions till about 5 mos out, and entertainment about 2 months out, so you have lots of time to get your ducks in order.

Read all the reviews, you can get a feel for who has similar interests and incorporate their hints and tips. I check out photos , but I try to skip over details about shows, parades and entertainment- it's nice to have a few surprises!

Search these forums for a recent " cruise compass" and " showtimes at a glance" . These will not change drastically so you can do some pre planning. We like to get a basic idea of what we will want to do each day and then book the stuff we want on the days we want. But after reading all the reviews- you certainly don't HAVE to pre plan. Just if you like that!

Join your roll call for sure; they get pretty active about 6 months out and you can arrange sharing( cabs, flow rider hours etc) . Everyone once in a while someone just posts a " pinch me, we are going on Oasis" post !

Have a great year anticipating !

Hi all and thanks for your words, tips and links. Yes I have joined the roll call which at this point is fairly quiet (last post was about a month ago). And yes I promise to use the search capabilities of CC to answer some of my questions. And I have found recent photo reviews, such as the live one Radio recently did so we have definitely started gathering Oasis info. I am an avid planner who typically has file folders and spreadsheets detailing our trips so here we go again......as my wife would say I am not happy unless I am planning the next trip. :D

Thanks all!!

We too are in the same boat dont sail till May 2013 so I am avidly reading all the replies to your post and reading up and watching anything and everything on Oasis.We booked our last cruise 15 months out and it was suprising how quick the time went hope the same thing happens this time.

Have fun researching and planning!!! I love reading reviews. Unfortunately for us, we're 0 for 4 with Royal. We've booked for Freedom x2, Oasis, and Liberty and something has always happened and we had to cancel :(. Last April we were booked for Oasis with my sister/hubby and parents but DS vacation got changed to the following week which was the week before Easter -- we ended up on a 4 day on the Disney Dream and although we had a good time, I so wished I took DS out of school and went on Oasis. We're looking at Allure for November 2012 with lots of family members and I hope it works out!!!

We had booked 15 months out. The Oasis was the destination for us and we saw every show and did just about everything. For our cruise the shows opened up exactly 90 days out from sail date. You will see the option on your cruise personalizer on the RC website. Start checking about 95 days out. Once those shows open up, they go fast. We chose my time dining. We were a party of 6 and never waited for a table. I booked all the shows for the times we wanted and then we dined around those times. A few of the shows were 8:30pm, or 9. So we would go to dinner around 7. The longest time it took to dine was 1.5 hours. Never more. You want to get to the shows a little early for good seats. ;)

See the Quest show, 18 and over. Not reserved online and is later at night.

Be on the Rising Tide Bar during the 70's show, great view and that is where the cruise director ends his show..Up you go!

See Adrian at Bolero's for the best Mojito's! A dollar or two cash tip and you will be well taken care of.

Johnny Rockets has breakfast to order free. Great to sit outside and people watch.

So much to see and do. :D

Archived