Has anyone heard from Anne Gordon lately?

smoothsailingagain

Anne answered my first 2 emails within a day or two. The next email I sent I waited a week without a response and then resent it. It's been another week and a half since I sent the last email and I still haven't gotten a response. I really want to take her tour, but now I am having second thoughts. Has anyone been in contact with her lately or know of any problems with her receiving emails?

Anne answered my first 2 emails within a day or two. The next email I sent I waited a week without a response and then resent it. It's been another week and a half since I sent the last email and I still haven't gotten a response. I really want to take her tour, but now I am having second thoughts. Has anyone been in contact with her lately or know of any problems with her receiving emails?

Aside from the fact that "this is Panama" all of these independent guides do trips that take them outside of Panama City . . . and there's no cell phone or Internet in the jungle here. Anne takes trips to her husband's village, the most authentic village, which is 1-1.5 hours drive from Colon or Panama City, then 45 minutes up river into the jungle via dug out canoe - no Internet cafes along the way, no Internet or cell reception in the middle of the Chagres jungle. She also does whale watching trips out to Coiba Island which are several day trips - again, no cell reception or Internet. So please be patient! Folks will get back to you. If you can't wait, or don't want to, or feel it is inconvenient, book the ship tour which can be instantly booked and confirmed on line.

Regards, Richard

Can I have contact details for Ann Gordon please?;)

www.EmberaVillageTours.com She gets good comments on CC and also on good reviews on TripAdvisor Whether with Anne or the ship, a trip to Embera Puru will be a highlight. It is an opportunity to see a different culture, often described as "right out of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC." The Embera are warm, wonderful, hospitable people. These are long, all day tours, but worth it. When I was Travel Guide on ZUIDERDAM folks would always come back, sometimes muddy and wet, and say, "Richard, that was the best tour of my life." Really.

For more and pics see http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/cruising/embera/

Regards, Richard

Curious to hear if the OP ever heard from her. I sent an email several days ago and haven't heard anything yet. I have my heart so set on her tour, but if I don't hear soon, I may have to move on to something else. :(

Curious to hear if the OP ever heard from her. I sent an email several days ago and haven't heard anything yet. I have my heart so set on her tour, but if I don't hear soon, I may have to move on to something else. :(

No, I haven't and it has been almost three weeks now. I too am really set on her tour and just had a few more questions before booking. She got back to me so quickly the first couple of times which is why I'm wondering, if there's a problem with her receiving email or some other kind of extenuating circumstances. From reading what others have posted it seems very out of character for her.

Contact Anne now for your tour:

anne@emberavillagetours.com

Panama cell phone from the US

011 507 6 758-7600

within Panama

6 758-7600

This is the whale watching season for Anne, since the cruise ship season starts in September when Alaska ends. Her whale trips are sometimes 5 days out in the Pacific around Coiba Island - no cell phone or Internet - so I suspect that's why she's not instantly responding. Independent tour operators are . . . well, independent. The cruise line has scores of people standing by to book you if you want instant response. Small, independent operators don't have that ability. Plus, the Embera Village where Anne's inlaws live and where the tours go is in the middle of the jungle - no cell phones, no Internet. You kinda have a choice here . . . when you forgo the cruise lines well-oiled machine for a more personal and perhaps authentic experience you give up some aspects of the well-oiled machine.

Patience is something you learn in Panama. It will happen - it always does, just maybe not on your schedule.

Regards, Richard

Well, I don't want the cruise ship tour, and that is why I'm on here trying to see if anyone knows what is going on. I'm glad to know why there may be no response yet. I must admit that when I find the tour I want, I'm very eager to get it booked, and this is one I really want.

I too emailed her and haven't heard back yet. I had questions as to whether we could do her tour as we are on a partial Panama Canal cruise aboard the Island Princess on Jan 18th, and there are conflicting posts as whether you can do a private tour in Panama if aboard a Princess ship. From everything we've read, we think this would be a great excursion and based on the reviews would rather go with Anne then through the ship.

Does anyone know where the Island Princess docks in Panama? I got the following email from Anne Gordon in regards to doing the private tour:

Thank you for contacting us regarding a tour to the Embera Village on January 23. Your question regarding your ability to access a private tour operator is a valid one.

Depending on whether your ship docks in Fuerte Amador or Gatun Locks will determine if you can use a private operator. If it is Fuerte Amador, you will be able to use us as your tour operator.

If it is Gatun Locks you would need to use one of the two official shore excursion tour providers here in Panama. One of them does go to an authentic Embera village and the tour is about 6 hours long and is combined with a visit to the locks, because of the distance involved in reaching the village. This village will have true Embera people in it, but they do not actually live there. They come in each morning there is a tour and leave in the afternoon. But it is better than nothing and the Embera are the same warm and friendly people and the culture and dances are the same.

I would love to do the tour with her, but need to know if that will be possible.....thanks!

Looking at your itin, the ship docks in Colon after locking up and then back down at Gatun Locks but..... the tours will begin after the ship locks up at Gatun Locks. When the ship clears the locks it will go to the Gatun Lake anchorage where touring passengers will be tendered ashore. At this point only passengers who have booked ship's tours will be permitted off the ship, no private tours available here. While the touring passengers who are on their tours, the ship will lock back down Gatun Locks and proceed to dock in Colon. There usually is enough time to visit the shops at the pier, but that is about all. I don't think Anne will be able to help you in this case.

Richard, Any chance you will be on Veendam April 2012?

Sister company ship, GRAND PRINCESS in Europe April, May & June. But you will enjoy VEENDAM! Nice size ship, great crew, good entertainment concept taking advantage of the intimate atmosphere and not trying to compete with big ships.

Regards, Richard

Sister company ship, GRAND PRINCESS in Europe April, May & June. But you will enjoy VEENDAM! Nice size ship, great crew, good entertainment concept taking advantage of the intimate atmosphere and not trying to compete with big ships.

Regards, Richard

We know. We have been on Veendam before (Alaska), and just got off of sister ship, Maasdam (VOV Boston to Amsterdam), and were on Maasdam last fall. This trip the entertainment was great.

It is too bad they removed her aft pool.

Europe. Do you lecture in other areas besides Panama?

I sent Anne another email yesterday and I received an email back today. Yea!! She was receiving so many requests for tours that she had to hire someone to take care of setting up the tours.

I hate that we will not be able to take her tour, but our itinerary doesn't appear to allow us to take a private tour due to our docking point.

• 2 months later...

Richard

I'm trying to figure out some tours for people I know doing the partial transit. They stop in Colon. Are these cruises, are they able to do a tour with Anne, or do they need to plan something else.

Anne would be my first suggestion for them

If not, what would you suggest as a second.

Also, is it suggested for them to get off the ship and tender from Gatun Lake, or should they tour from Colon? I'm not very familiar with the partial transit possibilities

Guess you can tell I'm not Richard, did my glasses give it away;):D? He has not been around in awhile, I guess he maybe on a ship!! Let me see if I can help... If your friends are on a partial transit cruise, they will not be able to take a private tour in Panama, at the Gatun Lake stop. The way this works is the ship will lock through Gatun Locks and then go to the anchorage where passengers who have tours booked through the cruise line will tender off and meet their tour. While they are on tour the ship will lock back through

Gatun Locks and proceed to the dock in Colon. The stop in Colon is only a "technical" stop mainly to pick up passengers who are on tour. There is not enough time for you to take a tour when the ship reaches Colon, you can get a little shopping done right next to the pier.

In short they must book their shore excursion in Panama though the cruise line as they only permit those passengers off the ship at the Gatun Lake Anchorage stop. While Anne Gordon seems to be the preferred tour operator for the Embera Village, most people have good things to say about the excursions provided by the cruise lines.

While Anne Gordon seems to be the preferred tour operator for the Embera Village, most people have good things to say about the excursions provided by the cruise lines.

We have booked with Garceth Cunampio www.emberatourspanama.com

He has great reviews from CC members and Anne herself called on him to lead a tour that, due to unforeseen circumstances, she couldn't.

I'll come back with my impressions after our tour with him in December.

Guess you can tell I'm not Richard, did my glasses give it away;):D? He has not been around in awhile, I guess he maybe on a ship!! Let me see if I can help... If your friends are on a partial transit cruise, they will not be able to take a private tour in Panama, at the Gatun Lake stop. The way this works is the ship will lock through Gatun Locks and then go to the anchorage where passengers who have tours booked through the cruise line will tender off and meet their tour. While they are on tour the ship will lock back through

Gatun Locks and proceed to the dock in Colon. The stop in Colon is only a "technical" stop mainly to pick up passengers who are on tour. There is not enough time for you to take a tour when the ship reaches Colon, you can get a little shopping done right next to the pier.

In short they must book their shore excursion in Panama though the cruise line as they only permit those passengers off the ship at the Gatun Lake Anchorage stop. While Anne Gordon seems to be the preferred tour operator for the Embera Village, most people have good things to say about the excursions provided by the cruise lines.

You've answered this very well. Thanks so much

Archived