Best buy

jalakim

Hi,

I was wondering what was everyone's best buy in Costa Rica?

Thanks

Kim

Hi Kim,

Coffee so far is a best buy in Costa Rica:

1. Cafe Tres Generaciones (Doka Estate) is the Costa Rica best (per one travel magazine)

2. Cafe Britt is second best

3. 1820 brand (local use this brand and vowed it as good as Cafe Britt but cheaper)

All these brands are 100% arabica beans.

If you are in baking. Costa Rica also has VERY GOOD vanila. I think Costa Rica vanila is better than Mexico. I bought some on our first trip to Costa Rica in 2004 and loved it. So on our second trip (February, 05), we bought a few to give away to friends and relative. You will find it around the pier area (brand - VAINOL Ancla - Escencia de Vainilla 480ml for $5 and the same brand down town supermarket 240ml for around $2.00).

There are wooden stuff around the pier (wooden salad bowl set - 1 large bowl, 6 small bowls and 2 wooden folk/spoon for $20.00).

Happy shopping.

ChattTenn.

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any ideas of the pricing on the coffee?

thanks

Kim

Hi Kim!

There will probably be an on-board offer of 20 sacks of coffee and/or snacks (chocolate covered macadamia nuts and other treats) for $99.00 including DHL shipping back home. We actually bought Cafe Britt coffee and snacks while on a tour and, to our regret, did not take advantage of the on-board offer (I think they also sponsored a tasting on the Coral Princess). From experience, I would now highly recommend the offer since the products are excellent, the price is very attractive, and you do not have to lug it back home. If you want some more info, check out their web site, www.cafebritt.com.

Have a great cruise!

We paid $2 for larger pkg. and $1 for smaller (great for little gifts) at a coffee bar in town. Asked our driver to stop for Coffee purchases prior to getting back to port and told him we wanted to shop where the locals do. Don't remember the brand but it was quite good. Just wished we had bought more - but the lugging factor already noted kept us from doing so. Also bought some in grocer store near port in Panama - similar pricing but not as good.

Enjoy!

ChattTenn.

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any ideas of the pricing on the coffee?

thanks

Kim

Hi Kim,

Coffee so far is a best buy in Costa Rica:

1. Cafe Tres Generaciones (Doka Estate) is the Costa Rica best (per one travel magazine) - I can't find at the local supermarket but bought at the pier (1st booth on the right next to the gate) $6 for 350g.

2. Cafe Britt is second best - bought at the local supermarket 12 oz 340g around $3.50 or $3.75.

3. 1820 brand (local use this brand and vowed it as good as Cafe Britt but cheaper) - also bought at the local supermarket 500g for around $2.50 or $2.75. We gave this brand after heard a recommendation from the cab driver. It turned out very good.

All these brands are 100% arabica beans.

The supermarket is in a walking distance from the pier. Walk across the pier/vendor area building, then across the street, up 2 blocks, turn left 2 blocks and it is at the corner on the right.

• 1 month later...

We bought the Cafe Brit deal on the Brilliance last year, Fantastic - we even got a free grinder for buying early. We were told not to buy coffee on the pier as it wasn't fresh so said the port lecturer. Do I listen NO - so i wndered around and this woman says - Senor - one bag $5 two for $7.50 3 for $10 and if you buy 3 I give you a fourth for free. You could smell the coffee and it was almost like a drug so I bought 4 17oz bags. Plus I bought a pound on the train in Panama. I had to shrinkwrap my luggage to keep it from bursting. When we got home I opened the coffee and it was even better than I expected. 4 days later 20 bags of cafe brit Tarazu and tres Rios arrived. Not quite as good as Jamaica Blue Mountain but not $17 a pound either. Now for the bet part. We were on Adventure of the Seas this year - even though we were told by Cafe Britt that there was still a deal with Royal Caribbean the Port lecturer said she didn;t have any forms - called cafe brit when we returned home. The asked for ship, Cabin number and date of cruise and 5 days later we had our 20 bags of coffee for us and 20 for a friend

Archived