Big Beard's Buck Island Tour

gunnerstahl24

Has anyone done the full day tour? What's the best way to get from the Pier (Frederikstad) to where the Sailing Tours start (Christiansted).

Seems like its on the other side of the island but not sure how long the travel is. Tour says it runs 9:30-3:30 so I assume thats enough time (ship is docked from 8:00 to 5:00 I believe).

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this tour, it looks like a good time (http://bigbeards.com/)

Thanks!

Hey Gunner , It's really easy . When you get off the ship just walk down the peir until you see a table in the middle , these are the taxi ticket people . Tell them where you wanna go and they'll direct you very organized . Haven't been in a couple years but I think it was about $14 US Rt pp . They give you a ticket for your return too don't lose it , tell your driver to come back for you ours was waiting when we return docked , very nice ! When I booked with Big Beard's they told me who to ask for as far as a driver . It seemed about 20 min each way but Big Beard's can set you straight . They are a wonderful operator we had a great time and can highly recommend them . Have Fun ! Ted

Hey Gunner , It's really easy . When you get off the ship just walk down the peir until you see a table in the middle , these are the taxi ticket people . Tell them where you wanna go and they'll direct you very organized . Haven't been in a couple years but I think it was about $14 US Rt pp . They give you a ticket for your return too don't lose it , tell your driver to come back for you ours was waiting when we return docked , very nice ! When I booked with Big Beard's they told me who to ask for as far as a driver . It seemed about 20 min each way but Big Beard's can set you straight . They are a wonderful operator we had a great time and can highly recommend them . Have Fun ! Ted

So if we want to go to the Carambola golf course we go to the taxi table and tell them that ? (do you pay for the fare at the table ? confused as to what the "return ticket" is ...)

Thanks

Jeanne , I haven't been in two years but this was the deal when we were there,

it was so organized and neat I can't see them changing the procedure . When you walk towards the end of the pier you can't miss all the personnel sitting , looking like they're selling raffle tickets , you know the metal box and rolls of tickets . If you tell them where you want to go they have set standard prices . You pay the taxi table people right there for round trip and you got two tix one for there and one for back pp , that is why you must hold onto your return ticket for your driver coming back . I believe the drivers turn in all their tix for pay at the end of the day and if a different driver brings you back he too needs tix for his credit . They are very helpful and tell you where to go stand and then you just get picked up and when you get off just tell the driver when you need a return and he'll set you straight . Basically a foolproof system for tourist like me that over think it . The buses are 15 pax passenger vans like so many other islands , they stuffed ours but it was more than bearable . Hope this helps , enjoy ! Ted

• 2 months later...

We're just back from St Croix aboard Serenade of the Seas.... VERY easy in and out of the boat.... the sailing was to die for. as was the snorkeling.... steps off the back of the boat into the water. Both stops my husband was able to walk down the steps and stand .... so not deep. I'm only 5'2'.... so on one I went off backwards and floated on my back... on the 2nd stop, I was able to touch bottom from the last step.

Small number of passengers, beautiful boat, ultra pleasant crew, fun lunch grilled on the beach and way more than one mongoose to watch!!

have fun... you'll LOVE it!!

We're just back from St Croix aboard Serenade of the Seas.... VERY easy in and out of the boat.... the sailing was to die for. as was the snorkeling.... steps off the back of the boat into the water. Both stops my husband was able to walk down the steps and stand .... so not deep. I'm only 5'2'.... so on one I went off backwards and floated on my back... on the 2nd stop, I was able to touch bottom from the last step.

Small number of passengers, beautiful boat, ultra pleasant crew, fun lunch grilled on the beach and way more than one mongoose to watch!!

have fun... you'll LOVE it!!

Thanks for the information.

I have not done this excursion but have visited St. Croix (by land) annually. The full day with Big Beard includes lunch. But the lunch is served back on St. Croix and not on Buck Island (just to be clear). Personally, I would do the half day tour and then have lunch at Rumrunners on the boardwalk in C'sted and walk around town a bit.

You should plan for it to take 30 minutes from F'sted to C'sted. Could be a bit more, could be a bit less.

Thx for the responses. Big beards keeps recommending a certain driver to ask for to get us there in time for early check in. Has anyone just taken the shuttle? We booked only the half day excursion. Thank you.

We always just take the shuttle. It works fine.

Does anyone know if you can go on this tour and NOT snorkel? I was thinking about booking this for my mom and I and she doesn't snorkel. Would she still be able to do the tour? Would it be worthwhile for her or should she just skip it? Thanks!

You can definitely chose to stay on the boat while others snorkel. If your mom would enjoy seeing some beautiful scenery while on a catamaran, I say go for it. And the beach on Buck Island (where they will do a stop), is to die for. But do know that they don't actually pull any of the boats right up on the beach so you have to jump in (up to your waist) from a staircase they put down and walk on to the beach.

Archived