Itea -what's to see and how best?

kayjaystrip

Hi

Our Ocean Princess itinerary calls in here in early October. I cannot find any port reviews on Itea (which I think is the port for Delphi). Anyone got any helpful advice about whether it can be done independently or are the ship's excrusions the only alternative? Kay

Go to Princess Cruise personalizer and check out the points of interest for each port of call and ships excursions on offer .

Athens, Santorini , Dubrovnik and Mykonos are al ports that lend themselves to self exploration .

We were on the Ocean Princess last Sept and also called at Itea. The ship docks in a small town...first of all we walked around-there were a few shops with the usual souvenirs, coffee shops, etc. A nice setting right on the water, but really not much there. We had booked the ships tour to Delphi and we really enjoyed it. It was about a 30-40 minute bus ride to get there, followed by a walking tour and then some free time. We love ruins, and the setting up in the mountains is gorgeous. There is a short amount of time afterwards for the little town of Delphi, which has lots of shops and we enjoyed it. Our tour also did the museum, which is small but excellent. I would highly recommend it---wish we would have had more time there.

I am not sure if/how it could easily be done independently. Not too many ships call at Itea (and only smaller ones) and I don't remember seeing taxis or tour services at the dock. As said, we were very pleased with our ships tour and would recommend except that we would have liked more time everywhere, which is usually my biggest complaint about ships tours. If you like ruins, the setting of Delphi is not to be missed, and other than Delphi I am not sure what else there is to do/see at Itea.

We were in Itea last Sept. There were plenty of taxis waiting just outside of the pier. We meet another couple and split the cost of the taxi. It was 60 euros for the round trip to Delphi. Our driver was very nice and told us all about the area. He dropped us at the entrance of Delphi and we told him to come back in three hours. We had plenty of time at the ruins and museum. Try doing a search of Itea and you should come up with plenty of reviews.

Here is the link to my pictures.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1e98e90214e77bf9#cid=1E98E90214E77BF9&id=1E98E90214E77BF9%211837

Edited by Eileen G

Delphi is one of my very favourite places.

There is a regular bus service from Itea up the hill to Delphi - takes about 30 mins. Once in Delphi the ruins are magnificent - make sure you go all the way up the hill to the stadium.

Then once you leave the ruin complex, continue along the road out of the village, and on the right hand side you will come to the area of the beautiful Tholos ruins, which is usually quite deserted. We spent a wonderful hour there a few years ago, avoiding a sudden storm by hiding under the ancient olive trees, and breathing in the scent of the olives as they were dashed to the ground by the heavy rains - it was magical.

From there a 20 minute walk back up the hill to the village, which is basically 2 main oneway roads, linked by stepped alleys. Sit outside one of the many restaurants, and enjoy the view down the hillside to Itea and the cruiseship - you can even hike back down if you feel very energetic!! (although you would need good directions).

We hope to be back there on the Ocean Princess next Fall - and I am already anticipating the scent of the olives and the beauty of the scenery:)

• 4 years later...