Drive to Emerald Lake in late Sept

DKJ

I'm trying to convince my sister to rent a car in Skagway on Sept 21st and drive to Emerald Lake instead of taking a tour. But she has been talking with a co-worker who was stationed in Alaska and he told her that the road up the mountain may have snow that time of the year and stated that the road was also very narrow. Any thoughts or experience with this time of the year ?

Thanks

DKJ

Alaska Bound

I was in Alaska in Sept in 2002 and we had snow showers while in Denali but the scenery was simply awesome. The fireweed was red and beautiful against the green evergreens. Wish I was doing an inland tour this time too. I'm going to the Rockies instead. My husband wanted to see them. We are renting a car in Skagway this time and I could pay particular attention to what I think about the highway. I understand it is a regular type highway with adequate lanes (one up and one down). Try to do a search and see if you can find something about the road. I know there were a few postings on it with lengthy discussions. Good Luck.

Some pictures from the drive in Skagway, late September 2009 (cruise was Sept 18-28).

The road does have some twists and turns in it but if you are following the speed limit those will not be an issue in the slightest, and the scenery is absolutely beautiful.

We didn't have snow, but I suppose it could be possible :confused:

skag1.jpg.d58ba38d2761bcc408f2fb45387c8495.jpg

skag2.jpg.df402fc6e21001387323ff011c9c8d82.jpg

skag3.jpg.818dce35df8b9f6d6aa5310cdb11240a.jpg

I'm trying to convince my sister to rent a car in Skagway on Sept 21st and drive to Emerald Lake instead of taking a tour. But she has been talking with a co-worker who was stationed in Alaska and he told her that the road up the mountain may have snow that time of the year and stated that the road was also very narrow. Any thoughts or experience with this time of the year ?

Thanks

DKJ

Alaska Bound

Do a google search for Murray explore north Skagway. I don't think I can post the exact website, but this should get you there. Lots of info and beautiful pictures. I did it on HAL cruisetour in August, and it is beautiful country.

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to get back with anyone interested . We did rent a car from Avis and took the drive to Emerald Lake, highlight of the cruise in my opinion.Roads were a piece of cake.The weather sucked until we pretty much crossed the border and then it was beautiful.Not much traffic other than tour buses.Beautiful

scenery,and actually saw a bear on the side of the road.The goat walk was kind

of interesting, the sled dogs weren't quite what I expected, but loved the little

museum.We took our time and even got back in time to do a bit of shopping.

Murrays was good.

What do you mean the sled dogs weren't quite what you expected?

What did you expect?

How did they disappoint?

What was wrong with them?

I was there in early Sept., 2009 and they seemed really cute and I loved seeing them.

What do you mean the sled dogs weren't quite what you expected?

What did you expect?

How did they disappoint?

What was wrong with them?

I was there in early Sept., 2009 and they seemed really cute and I loved seeing them.

Well, many people think they are going to be those "pretty" plush, perfect dogs, you see in photos.

As you must know, Alaska sled dogs can be darn ugly, and a mix and match of just about anything. :)

I agree about the husky puppies. They were cute because they were puppies, but not what I expected. I think most people think of Siberian Huskies when they are thinking of the sled dogs. Black and white with blue eyes. The Alaskan Husky is a different breed and looks quite different. Which I never knew until I went to Alaska.:)

Not sure if you'll have snow in September, but we really enjoyed the drive last May. The road is well maintained and is well traveled so we never felt worried if we had a breakdown. I have a problem with heights and was able to drive a good way on the return of the trip. I had to pull over and switch with my husband as we approached the summit. :o

The cost was another factor for us. We spent @ $100 for the Avis rental and $25-30 for gas. We stopped at Carcross for lunch at @$25. So for around $150-$175, the three of us were able to have a great day.

Have driven this road several times over the past few years. May '09 we experienced rain, drove more, in to snow & finally sun! Another time, just rain but drove out of it. The road is completely paved. It is well marked. If there are any road issues, there are signs. Tour buses, RVs, motorcycles & cars all traverse this road daily. Just take your time. And do get the Murray guide - he has every single photo op, historical note, etc. listed.

Archived