Galaxy Panama Review Part 4 - The activities

LisadelRio

Activities

There were so many activities on this cruise. The cruise director was Kevin Tann from Malaysia. I really enjoyed his Irish Malaysian accent. I thought he was a lot of fun. And he actually showed for the cruise critic party. In fact, he showed up everywhere. The ******** staff were also fun. I don’t know where these people get all this energy.

Speaking of energy, this was the most active and highest energy Celebrity cruise we’ve been on. To make sure I wasn’t imagining things, I dug out a daily program from the Millennium in Dec 2001. Sure enough, there were almost twice as many entries on the first Galaxy sea day versus the Millennium in 2001.

And then, being the data geek that am I, counted 12 organized activities before noon on the 2001 Millennium and 23 on the 2005 Galaxy. I compared apples to apples, leaving out all the “Meet with Roxanna, our Captains Club Hostess” type entries.

So there was a lot to do, but we don’t really like to do a lot on vacation. We already do a lot in real life and want a break from the hectic pace. The energy level was so high on this trip, that our next vacation will not be a cruise. We’re going to either a small island resort or renting a house in Cozumel, where we will sit on the beach all day for at least a week.

In case you’d like to know what all these things to do were, here are a couple of links to the first sea day program:

Program Front

Program Back

Jack Daniels Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey

One of the activities I enjoyed was Battle of the Sexes Trivia. The women won, but not without a fight. We were tied at the end of the last day and won on the tie breaker. An awesome woman knew something about Orioles baseball and answered the question that men chose to stump us with. I never even heard of the guy who was the answer.

But I did know the answer to one question – “what is the oldest distilled beverage in the US”. Scott asked this question with the warning to be very specific. So I fought for the correct answer, which is Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey. Some of the other women wanted to say Jack Daniels Bourbon, but I insisted that it couldn’t be bourbon, because bourbon comes only from Kentucky. I don’t know baseball, but I do know booze.

So we answered with the correct answer, and Scott said we were wrong. The men answered with Jack Daniels Bourbon, which doesn’t exist on this planet, and got the answer right. Scott’s card had Jack Daniels Bourbon on it – which is the wrong answer. Needless to say, he never backed down and insisted that he was a bar tender and he knew there was Jack Daniels Bourbon. Only in his imagination does this beverage exist.

So, if you are going on Galaxy and see Scott, who is everywhere, tell him for me, please, “Jack Daniels Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey – just read the label. Bourbon comes from Kentucky.”

Jack Daniels Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey

One of the activities I enjoyed was Battle of the Sexes Trivia. The women won, but not without a fight. We were tied at the end of the last day and won on the tie breaker. An awesome woman knew something about Orioles baseball and answered the question that men chose to stump us with. I never even heard of the guy who was the answer.

But I did know the answer to one question – “what is the oldest distilled beverage in the US”. Scott asked this question with the warning to be very specific. So I fought for the correct answer, which is Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey. Some of the other women wanted to say Jack Daniels Bourbon, but I insisted that it couldn’t be bourbon, because bourbon comes only from Kentucky. I don’t know baseball, but I do know booze.

So we answered with the correct answer, and Scott said we were wrong. The men answered with Jack Daniels Bourbon, which doesn’t exist on this planet, and got the answer right. Scott’s card had Jack Daniels Bourbon on it – which is the wrong answer. Needless to say, he never backed down and insisted that he was a bar tender and he knew there was Jack Daniels Bourbon. Only in his imagination does this beverage exist.

So, if you are going on Galaxy and see Scott, who is everywhere, tell him for me, please, “Jack Daniels Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey – just read the label. Bourbon comes from Kentucky.”

Right you are & I copied the Jack Daniels web site statement on NOT BOURBON:

Whiskey Fact #1

Charcoal Mellowing is what makes Jack Daniel's a smooth sippin' Tennessee Whiskey instead of a bourbon

So email this to him & tell him he owes you!

I was on the womens team on the cruise you speak of

Scott is no longer with Celebrity or any other cruise line he left to do voice overs in New York

and all activities staff are stuck with having to use the replies on the cards which are part of TRIVIA game printed in the USA

What bugs me is that Celebrity insist on using USA Trivia irrespective of the fact they have quite a % of european and other nationalities on board who will know zilch about amercian sports or cars etc and the appalling bias of easy questions for the men on womens clothes etc while the women are supposed to know complicated stuff about sports cars or DIY tools

If they used both USA and European Trivia together there would not be the horrendous battles that existed on the game of "battle of the sexes " because it would then be much more straightforward general knowledge questions

Hi Becky,

I'm not from Del Rio,although I am from Texas. I live on a tidal river about 15 miles upstream from the Gulf. My user id translates into "Lisa on the river."

I also have a business called Delrio Design. It was actually named by a friend who noticed that I was using Lisadelrio as a user id on Cruise Critic.

Lisa on the San Bernard River

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the cruise that followed yours. I played battle of the sexes a few times. Scotty was leading the game. They called him loose cannon Scotty. Not sure if it was the same Scott but his name was Scott.

We had the same question on the Jack Daniels Whiskey. That day he would of accepted it if we had said Jack Daniels. Anything with Jack Daniels is what he said.

Ronda

Kevin was the listed as CD in the daily, introduced all the shows, and was on the daily TV show as CD with his assistant Tim. Where was the "real" cruise director?

Hi Lisa,

Loved reading your Galaxy cruise. We took the same cruise a month prior on Feb 3rd, and our Cruise Director was John Challenger, and Kevin was an assistant then. He must have gotten a promotion. I loved hearing him talk--very cute accent!

Chris

Hi Lisa:

Thanks so much for standing up for good 'Old Jack' ! We know our sipping whiskey is just that and not Bourbon.

It is my understanding that John Challenger is the real CD on Galaxy, but has been on vacation since mid-March and that Kevin Tamm, the ACD, is, for all intents and purposes the CD for those cruises while John is vacationing.

Thanks y'all, for straightening out the "Will the real CD please stand up" mystery.:)

I'm glad to hear that Scott, who is the same loose canon, found a good answer for the Jack Daniels question.

Rocky Top Mom, I heard the pool band play "Rocky Top" at least 3 times on our cruise. Did you ever hear it on yours?

Lisa

Archived