Cagliari - pink flamingos, devil's saddle & nuraghi

Wayfairers

Our ship is in Cagliari 7a - 3p (I'm sure back on ship at 2p). The things I would like to see there are pink flamingos, The Devil's Saddle and a nuraghi. Is it possible to see all 3 in that time? Any suggestions? I couldn't find a ship excursion that included all 3 and I'm having difficulty finding a tour company on shore.

I think you will need a guide or private tour if you can find one. The only other option would be to hire a car for the day, but when we hired a car at Cagliari airport last year they were unbelievably slow in processing it.

Thanks Karennella! Good info on the slow car processing - don't think we will go that route - I don't want to spend my day worried about getting lost either.

I've read somewhere that private tours are not readily available at this port. I will keep looking... may have to book a ship excursion.

Found this on line. "....you can stroll along the broad avenues of the waterfront for a different prospective. The waterfront is enveloped by salt flats where hundreds of pink flamingos feed." Sounds like I can see the flamingos on my own. Can anyone confirm this?

Found this on line. "....you can stroll along the broad avenues of the waterfront for a different prospective. The waterfront is enveloped by salt flats where hundreds of pink flamingos feed." Sounds like I can see the flamingos on my own. Can anyone confirm this?

We will be on Celebrity Eclipse, calling in to Cagliari for the day on Oct 20 and are thinking of taking the City Tour bus. It is stated to function year-round, hourly from 09:30 hrs. E10 per person. See www.citytourcaglieri.com for more details and a map.

The third stop is at Molentargiu's Park, home to 11,000 pink flamingos, so this might suit you Wayfairers.

Comments from anyone who has taken the bus would be helpful.

Grazie,

Anthony

I am not trying to be negative as we enjoyed our week in Sardinia very much, but I seem to remember that the foreshores and salt flats were separated by very busy roads. Poetta Beach is somewhat tacky. The problem is, in a way, that it is the north of Sardinia that is most frequented by tourists.

There is one main fast and efficient expressway running up the island and it takes about two hours. Maybe it is worth trying to find a private guide by looking in Port Cervo or Alghero. It may be worth their while to drive down.

From what I read elsewhere on CC (can't remember which board), the city tour Cagliari isn't a HOHO, it is a one hour continuous tour. The website doesn't provide that information though.

It would be interesting to know whether it is HoHo or not. Anyone?

If not are there other good options for exploring the town?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived