Viking Nile Cruise

jaykaycee

We're considering using Viking for a Nile cruise next spring. If anyone has been on this trip, I'd appreciate knowing your feeling on it. We sailed with Viking on the Yangtze, with an extension to Hong Kong, and had a wonderful time, but I know a great cruise in one area of the world doesn't necessarily mean a great one in another part of the world.

Thanks

We sailed with Viking on the Yangtze, with an extension to Hong Kong, and had a wonderful time, but I know a great cruise in one area of the world doesn't necessarily mean a great one in another part of the world.

Thanks

Never been - but hope to be - on a Nile cruise.

We had a great cruise with Viking in China and that influenced us to go on two other Viking cruises - they were good but couldn't compare to the China voyage!

You may like to look at my post of June 23, 2010 - "Review of Viking "Pathways of the Pharaohs" October 2009." We had such a wonderful trip, we booked our China tour with Viking River Tours which leaves August 29 - just 2 weeks away!

If you search "Other Cruise Lines" for "Nile", you will also see a review posted on August 5, 2010 "Nile cruise on viking princess with discover egypt." This is not the same company which I think is leading to some confusion. It looks like Discover Egypt has their own ships, e.g. Viking Princess. There were only 14 (total) of us on the Viking River Tour of Egypt and we were on the Movenpick "Royal Lotus" and "Prince Abbas" with other groups.

Looking at the Viking River Cruises web site for 2012 tours of Egypt - I would suggest the "Pathways of the Pharaohs" itinerary which approaches Abu Simbel by boat and then you fly to Cairo. (Rather than "Pharaohs & Pyramids" which looks like it flys you to Abu Simbel and then you take the boat back.) Approaching Abu Simbel by boat was awesome!

I can't speak for the Discover Egypt tours on their "Viking" ships, but I can highly recommend Viking River Tours in Egypt. (My review has many more details.) We were actually in touch with our guide during the Revolution and he was fine, but they are anxious for tourists to return. I'm sure Viking River Tours will take very good care of you and ensure a wonderful tour of Egypt. After you read my review, please let me know if you have other questions I may be able to answer.

Thank you so much for the info. I'll definitely check out your review from last year. As you may have seen in my post, we also used Viking for our trip to China. It was incredible! We included the extension to Hong Kong, as well. I know you will enjoy it! How were the two ships used in Egypt?

I think I covered the 2 ships pretty well in my review. Overall, they weren't first class, but we found them just fine - clean, with good beds and everything we needed. Interesting - when we boarded the Prince Abbas for our cruise of Lake Nasser, they used a rowboat to get us from the rocky shore out to the gangplank. They took care of our luggage in another rowboat - didn't actually see them doing this. We were all a little puzzled, but they took very good care of us for the transition and our bags were soon in our room. When we return from our China trip I can give you more of a comparison. Our friends with us in Egypt who had already been on the China Viking tour, said the ships weren't quite as nice, but the trip was so fantastic, it didn't matter. We also had a very small group (only 14 total) so our guide was able to move us fairly smoothly. There was a bit of a "glitch" when we were ready to get to the airport from Abu Simbel as the bus he had reserved didn't show. He had us stand in the shade, and paid another bus driver to take us to the airport during the time that group was seeing the ruins. He really had contacts everywhere and back-up plans for everything:)

Archived