Labadee: Sandbar VS Malfini

WaterCrazzy

Hey everyone,

I've been to malfini before in labadee and enjoyed it very much, so I was trying to figure out if I should try something different this time and go to the Sandbar Island Getaway. The description looks great, but I'm looking for some input from someone who has been to the Sandbar Island Getaway to tell me the positives and negatives of it. Thanks, I've included the description below of the tour.

~Watercrazzy~

Sandbar Island Getaway

Come along and experience a slice of paradise! Hop aboard a stylish motorized catamaran for a leisurely ride through Haiti's fantastic reef system while en route to one of natures beautiful creations. This is a great way to experience the picturesque sites of Haiti's mountainous north coast. Once at the Sandbar enjoy a 360 degree view as you literally stand in the middle of the ocean - shipwreck on one side, a tropical island on another, turquoise waters and mountains as far as you can see! So go for swim, sun-tan, relax and maybe make some new friends. At the Sandbar your friendly crew will be spinning the tunes and making sure everyone is enjoying the Caribbean beauty. The catamaran has an ideal layout with comfortable seating and a bar on each deck. A complimentary fruit and rum punch is included. A cash bar will be available onboard the catamaran.

Our family just did the Sandbar excursion last week. We loved Labadee, but wanted a bit of peace and quiet and this was perfect. Near where the catamaran anchors, you can swim easily, I know I did. Also sat on the beach (actually in the water drinking our beers). Some floaties are provided, so we took two - one for each of our daughters. Only thing we thought with that tour was that it was too short!!!!

if you want to see some pictures, email me at jsimarn201 at rogers dot com and I will send you some. I have been trying to upload for 30 minutes and I just lost patience...! ;)

Janique

• 1 month later...

Sandbar Island Getaway was Great!

My only recommendation is to swim out from the island a little ways and look at the sunken bucaneer ships cannons. There are a bunch of cannons laying on the bottom and I didn't know until we were leaving otherwise I would have snorkeled out there (since I brought my snorkel gear)

Watch out for sea urchants (anywhere you go in labadee has them) and you'll love the beach!

Just wanted to post an update for future cruisers trying to make a decision.

Malfini was nice, I'd pick that 1st and Sandbar Island Getaway 2nd. But Malfini wins by a very thin hair. (The view is a little more amazing at Malfini)

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I've been on the Sandbar Island tour 3 times. I thought it was great. I agree, though, I wish it was longer!:p

One of the things I liked more than Malfini, which is still beautiful, is the boat ride down the coast. You can see the local fisherman and we stopped by a old cargo ship that had ran up on one of the reef. I think old rusting ship wrecks are so cool. :rolleyes: Also, when you get to the Sandbar you can look all round, 360 degrees. It's really something else. Both are great though. It's probably just person preference.

I never saw any cannons though. I don't know where those are.:confused:

• 5 months later...

I have been on the Malfini tour many times over many years. It is family run and they try very hard to ensure everyone has a nice day. The cove they take you to is very quiet and extremely relaxing. There are floats to use and a glass bottom kayak to check out the fish. Limited reef and fish to see but still worth taking a peek. Over the years I have watched them build up Labadee from a raw beach into a bit of a circus. It is great for families and for people who want to just walk to a nearby beach but I prefer the tranquility at Malfini (since they only bring about 15-20 people) to the more crowded area near the ship. That said, I think if you go to the far side of the area there may be less crowds there. Will be there tomorrow and update if I see anything else of interest.

Long story short: If you like the more active crowd then there are great options right off the boat. If you want a more intimate, quiet beach day then go with Malifin or the Sandbar. Haven't tried the Sandbar yet but sounds similar to Malfini.