Few questions about itinerary on POA and any suggestions?

onthego1028

First some minimal background. We have never been to Hawaii in fact we are from Florida. Late 40s husband and wife. At least 8 cruises in our lifetime. Celebrating a birthday :p. I have sailed the Mediterranean twice and I don't remember having to do so much research. But this is what I enjoy. I have been on these boards which have been absolutely fabulous and extremely helpful even to the point of addiction for about 2 months and have ordered maps and books. So we are leaving in less than 2 weeks and I have most of the big ticket items down, it is now the little details that I am not too sure.

So these questions are mostly what's left.

Question 1 Hula's or Duke's in Waikiki for first dinner?

Question 2 I had to nix both luaus at Lahaina and Smith's :( because of excursions. In Maui cause I just gotta do the Road to Hana and there is no way back earlier. We could do Hana's the next day, but I just gotta do the sunrise crater. These gottas are from my friend who has been to Hawaii 3 times and all the reading I have done on these boards. So now... my husband actually wants to do a luau so I choose Paradise Cove in Oahu since we have more time in Honolulu. So did I do the right thing?

Question 3 Rent car or tour in Hilo? Lots of different opinions on these boards so I guess that is why I am confused.

Question 4 Can anyone recommend a good restuarant for sunset in Lahaina?

Any and all suggestions for the questions and itinerary are appreciated and honestly I can still change things around, I think.

Hawaii Itinerary

August 24 Wednesday Oahu

Arrive approx 2 PM get rental car from Thrifty drive to Waikiki to hotel the Royal Hawaiian. Walk around Waikiki go to the International Marketplace (henna tattoo) / Dinner at Hula’s Grill or Dukes?

Royal Hawaiian 2259 Kalakaua Ave Honolulu 96815

August 25 Thursday

Wake up at 6:45 to get to Pearl Harbor at about 7:30 – 8:00. Drive up the H2 towards the North Shore. Then the 99 towards Haleiwa / Turtle Beach (aka Laniakea Beach) / Waimea Falls Park / Ted’s Bakery? 59-024 Kamehameha Hwy Haleiwa HI 96712 808-638-8207 Sunset Beach / Turtle Bay/

(following may be done next day depending on time frame)

Laie Point / Giovanni Shrimp Truck – between Turtle Bay and PCC 56-505 Kamehameha Hwy Kahuku, HI 96731 808293-1839

Back to Waikiki

Dinner Plans?

August 26 Friday

Wake at 7:30 get breakfast – where?

Hanauma Bay for snorkeling / Lanai Lookout / Halona Blowhole / Waimanalo Beach Park / Kailua Beach / Nuuanu Pali Lookout – then back 83 North / Byodo-in temple / Chinaman’s Hat / Macadamia Nut Ranch? / Kualoa Ranch / Polynesian Cultural Center?

(If time permits the above if not done previously)

Luau – Paradise Cove (well maybe still not booked)

August 27 Saturday

Wake at 7:00 or 7:30 hike Diamond Head/Enjoy Waikiki and get ready to go to the ship. Maybe shop around some more before returning car to airport.

Board Ship around 2 or so.

August 28 Sunday Maui Ship docs at 8 AM

8:05 Road to Hana Valley Isle Excursions, Inc /– Rent car after tour drive to Lahaina shop, have dinner (where?) and catch sunset.

August 29 Monday Ship leaves 6PM

Sunrise Crater Tour with ship (4AM to 10AM) Drive to Kapalua Beach then Kaanapali Beach –Black Rock

Drive by Lahaina again on the way back to ship.

August 30 Tuesday Hilo Ship docs 8AM – 6PM

Rent car and go to Volcano National Park / Richardson’s Beach Park / Lava Sail-by (binoculars)

August 31 Wednesday Kona Ship docs 7AM – 6PM

SeaQuest Snorkle Tour Check in 8AM

Kona Inn Shops for toe rings and ankle bracelets

September 1st Thursday Kauai Ship docs 8AM

Photo Tour / after?

September 2 Friday Ship leaves 2PM

Helicopter Tour with Mauna loa helicopters 7:45 check in for 8:30 flight.

September 3 Saturday

Disembark cruise ship. Taxi to hotel? Chinatown? Hotel for one day? until flight leaves 9PM

Well I can't help but I am interested to hear how yours works for you because I have about the same thing mapped out for us....we have some differences and you have one more day in Oahu then we do...I was just getting ready to post mine. We don't leave until February but I'm excited:D

First some minimal background. We have never been to Hawaii in fact we are from Florida. Late 40s husband and wife. At least 8 cruises in our lifetime. Celebrating a birthday :p. I have sailed the Mediterranean twice and I don't remember having to do so much research. But this is what I enjoy. I have been on these boards which have been absolutely fabulous and extremely helpful even to the point of addiction for about 2 months and have ordered maps and books. So we are leaving in less than 2 weeks and I have most of the big ticket items down, it is now the little details that I am not too sure.

Question 1 Hula's or Duke's in Waikiki for first dinner? I can't speak for Hula's but we did eat at the bar area of Duke's (the bar area is huge and has plenty of tables). The food was ordinary. Not bad, but nothing to write home about either...except for the Hula Pie!! Make SURE you have a piece--1 slice is good for 2 to 4 people!

Question 2 I had to nix both luaus at Lahaina and Smith's :( because of excursions. In Maui cause I just gotta do the Road to Hana and there is no way back earlier. We could do Hana's the next day, but I just gotta do the sunrise crater. These gottas are from my friend who has been to Hawaii 3 times and all the reading I have done on these boards. So now... my husband actually wants to do a luau so I choose Paradise Cove in Oahu since we have more time in Honolulu. So did I do the right thing?

Question 3 Rent car or tour in Hilo? Lots of different opinions on these boards so I guess that is why I am confused.

Any and all suggestions for the questions and itinerary are appreciated and honestly I can still change things around, I think.

Hawaii Itinerary

August 24 Wednesday Oahu

Arrive approx 2 PM get rental car from Thrifty drive to Waikiki to hotel the Royal Hawaiian. Walk around Waikiki go to the International Marketplace (henna tattoo) / Dinner at Hula’s Grill or Dukes?

August 25 Thursday

Wake up at 6:45 to get to Pearl Harbor at about 7:30 – 8:00. Drive up the H2 towards the North Shore. Then the 99 towards Haleiwa / Turtle Beach (aka Laniakea Beach) / Waimea Falls Park / Ted’s Bakery? 59-024 Kamehameha Hwy Haleiwa HI 96712 808-638-8207 Sunset Beach / Turtle Bay/(following may be done next day depending on time frame)

Laie Point / Giovanni Shrimp Truck – between Turtle Bay and PCC 56-505 Kamehameha Hwy Kahuku, HI 96731 808293-1839

Back to Waikiki

Dinner Plans?

There's virtually no chance you're going to do all that if you arrive at Pearl Harbor at 7:30 or 8:00--we arrived about 6:20/6:30 and within 10 minutes the line was eons long. Also, all we did was the Arizona and the Mighty Mo and we didn't leave until almost noon and we had the 1st tickets to the Arizona!! We did turtle beach and did see turtles sunning themselves on the beach--that was fun. We didn't do Ted's bakery, but rather Leonard's bakery for their malasadas near the Waikiki and Diamond Head area.

August 26 Friday

Wake at 7:30 get breakfast – where? We ate breakfast one morning at the Hilton at Mac 24/7. They serve a dish called the Mac Daddy pancakes. I saw it on the travel channel. 4lbs of pancakes with fruit!! It was worth the stop 4 of us shared the pancakes and still left 25% on the plate. LOL

Hanauma Bay for snorkeling / Lanai Lookout / Halona Blowhole / Waimanalo Beach Park / Kailua Beach / Nuuanu Pali Lookout – then back 83 North / Byodo-in temple / Chinaman’s Hat / Macadamia Nut Ranch? / Kualoa Ranch / Polynesian Cultural Center?

Luau – Paradise Cove (well maybe still not booked) look up high tide for the time period you will be in Waikiki...go see the blowhole at high tide..you will be glad you did. That's when I went to Holona Blowhole and it was worth it.....it's only 2 minutes from Hanauma Bay. Also, we got to Hanauma Bay one day around 10am and couldn't get in--parking full. :( we tried 3 times in a 30 minute period with no luck. (we ended up going before boarding ship and we weren't impressed, but my girlfriend went the day we couldn't get in and she said it was great.)

August 27 Saturday

Wake at 7:00 or 7:30 hike Diamond Head/Enjoy Waikiki and get ready to go to the ship. Maybe shop around some more before returning car to airport.

8:05 Road to Hana Valley Isle Excursions, Inc /– Rent car after tour drive to Lahaina shop, have dinner (where?) and catch sunset.

Sunrise Crater Tour with ship (4AM to 10AM) Drive to Kapalua Beach then Kaanapali Beach –Black Rock

Rent car and go to Volcano National Park / Richardson’s Beach Park / Lava Sail-by (binoculars)

Photo Tour / after? ??? what's this and why can't you do a luau here?

September 3 Saturday

Disembark cruise ship. Taxi to hotel? Chinatown? Hotel for one day? until flight leaves 9PM

A couple of your days it seems to me you have too much planned, but when you're out and about you'll fix that on your own.

Personally a sunset is a sunset you can catch them in Florida or Caribbean won't be any different than Hawaii, you'll also see some good ones from the ship.

I would switch and rent a car and do the Old Lahania Luau and spend some time in Lahaina. The drive is pretty simple with only a couple turns and then your on the coastal hwy to Lahaina with lots of picture opportunites along the way. And the drive back is just as easy with very little traffic.

You wont get another chance to take in a luau unless you plan to go back to Hawaii

Hula's is located on top of Dukes and owned by the same company either one is good but Dukes is on the beach with usually good Hawaiian group playing, they also have a great salad bar that if I remember was included with your entree price. Dukes is perfect for the sunset as wll but make reservations in advance and request a table on the lanai.

They also have one of the best coconut shrimp appetizers they we have ever had.

Thought I would add my itinerary as it goes now...since we have a little over 5 months to wait still.....there are two of us and when we go on vacation we go....we are not the type to grab a towel and hang on the beach...we try and see as much as we possibly can. My DH has some walking issues but other than that we are both pretty healthy...and fluffy.

Hawaii Itinerary

February 16 Thursday Oahu

Arrive approx 11:30 AM get rental car from Thrifty drive to hotel Aulani Hotel (Disney). Drive part of the North Shore – Dole Plantation, Laniakea Beach (Turtle Beach), Waimea Beach Park, stop at Ted’s Bakery (stuff for breakfast tomorrow), Sunset Beach, eat at Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck, Kualoa Park (Chinaman’s Hat only), La’ie Point, Macadamia Nut Factory, back to hotel via to H3

February 17, Friday, Oahu

Pearl Harbor – After drive to Pali Look-out, Leonard’s (malasadas), Diamond Head, Halona Blow Hole, Byodo-In Temple, H3 back to the hotel

February 18, Saturday – Board Ship

Nothing planned other than checking out, returning the car and getting to the ship…probably find a ABC store along the way and pick up some stuff.

February 19, Sunday - Maui

Road to Hana with Valley Isle Tours – 8:05 pick-up

February 20, Monday, Maui

Pick up rental car from Thrifty – drive to Lahiana, Whale Watching at 11:30 with Pacific Whale Foundation, prior to tour walk around Lahiana, Banyan Tree, etc.

February 21, Tuesday, Hilo

Pick-up rental car from Thrifty – drive to VNP, if time go to the waterfalls

February 22, Wednesday, Kona

Open?? Thinking of snorkeling through NCL

February 23, Thursday, Kauai

Pick-up rental car from Thrifty – drive to Waimea Canyon, eat at Island Tacos, drive to the end, eat at Duke’s

February 24, Friday, Kauai

Take plane ride with??

February 25, Saturday L

Disembark – flight doesn’t leave til 3:15 – so need some plans?

We will be on the POA the same week in Feb. I have not planned anything yet. So much to do I don't know where to even start planning. This message board has been a huge help. Guess I will have to really get serious next week and get things booked.

Thank you for taking the time to add suggestions. Okay so I will make pearl harbor an earlier day. I will make reservations at dukes for the lanai. As for the luau I will try to make it work if not it makes for a good excuse just to go back to Maui. Thank you. So you guys think I'm driving around too much? But as you mentioned this is just some kind of guide, we will see how things actually turn out because of time constraints. Very much appreciate all suggestions.

Question 1 Hula's or Duke's in Waikiki for first dinner?

Hawaii Itinerary

August 24 Wednesday Oahu

August 25 Thursday

Wake up at 6:45 to get to Pearl Harbor at about 7:30 – 8:00. Drive up the H2 towards the North Shore. Then the 99 towards Haleiwa / Turtle Beach (aka Laniakea Beach) / Waimea Falls Park / Ted’s Bakery? 59-024 Kamehameha Hwy Haleiwa HI 96712 808-638-8207 Sunset Beach / Turtle Bay/

(following may be done next day depending on time frame)

Back to Waikiki

Dinner Plans?

August 26 Friday

Wake at 7:30 get breakfast – where?

Luau – Paradise Cove (well maybe still not booked)

August 27 Saturday

Photo Tour / after?

September 3 Saturday

I also agree, you are underestimating time in some areas, a major one is your Maui day. Cut out 1/2 what you have planned, and don't get stuck in Lahaina, like you are planning late on your second day. It's a bogged down slow area with traffic and no where near the cruiseship dock.

In Ouhu, Hanauma Bay, is so so at best for Hawaiian snorkeling, "best" on Oahu. As mentioned the parking is in very short supply and they do fill up. There is no point in coming "back", if you are there in the morning.

What are the consequences, if you don't make your tour in Kona?? You are cutting this very close and unless you have the VIP priority tender tickets, even more risky.

I am planning the POA on 10/1 and seem to have almost the exact itenerary planned. We too are staying at the Royal Hawaiian pre-cruise and I was having a hard time deciding on Hula's or Dukes. But from what Pokeraddict says, looks like we'll go with Dukes on the beach.

Maui: We are also doing the Road To Hana the first day in Maui but renting a car the 2nd and going to Lahaina to shop.

Hilo - Renting a car and going to: Chinese Garden, King Kamehameha Statute, Akaka Falls State Park, Botanical Gardens, a Macadamia Nut Farm and the Black Sand Beach. This was actually part of a tour provided by Big Island Tours which I read about on this forum, but we thought we could do the same tour, at our own pace and less expensive.

Kona - nothing planned yet and may not schedule anything. I read that the best view of the POA in the harbour can been seen from the Walmart parking lot via a free shuttle. May do that for pictures.

Kauai - We are also doing the Kauai Photo Tour! I'll be anxiously awaiting your review of the tour. We also have the Smith Family Luau planned that evening. Michelle from the Kauai Photo Tour said that they will drop us off at the Luau instead back at the ship. It will be a long day with no rest or clean up in between the tour & Luau but a Luau was on our bucket list. You might want to check with Michelle and arrange for a drop off at the Luau.

Day 2 we are doing Wings over Kauai instead of the helicopter.

Have a great vacation and be sure to let us know how everything went.

Hi, everyone. You all have such great plans for your cruise. My only suggestion is that while in Kauai, if you haven't planned to do so already, you make sure to see the island by air (either by helicopter or plane) since you can't get to a large percentage of the island any other way. We did the AirVentures plane ride, and it was awesome. We would have done a helicopter ride, but my friend who was going with me weighs slightly over their weight limit of 250 lbs. and would have had to purchase an extra seat at 1/2 price, which made the cost too high for him. The plane has no weight limit.

BUDGET QUEEN Wow I think you helped me back about 4 or 5 years ago when I went to Alaska. You recommended the best seaplane ride with a blonde lady (I can't remember the name of the company or the town we took it at this moment) and was so fantastic, she even let my then 12 year old take over the wheel. It was amazing.

Yes thank you about the information about Maui and you have no idea how my husband gets about getting to the ship on time. So if we only go to the beaches north of Lahaina the next day is there a way to bypass Lahaina on the way back? Or maybe we will just skip the beaches and go straight to Lahaina, if we didn't go the night before. How late do you think things stay open at Lahaina? shopping wise? If we do go to Lahaina the next day do you think that if we head back by 2 we can make it to the ship by 4:30?

As for Kona the Seaquest people seem to think it is no problem getting off the ship and I plan to arrange for a taxi to take us to them.

So what exactly is a VIP priority tender ticket?

BEARDEDWOMAN Not only is our itinerary similar but we will both be celebrating our 50th on our cruises, you in October and me in September.

Learning about the photo tour and making arrangements to go to the luau is fantastic. Now if I can only convince my husband that he has to go nonstop for 12 hours.

Does that mean that in Hilo you are not going to VNP? Hilo is the place that I have done the least research. So maybe I can just do the tour you suggested with the car we have rented.

LUV2BGOOFY I like the way you have your Thursday and Friday set up but may I ask why not the PCC? I think I just might skip that all together if we will be doing a luau somewhere else.

Hi Onthego

we don't want to spend the entire day at one place...I know that PCC is fantastic...I remember it back when I was there in the 80's and I'm sure that it has gotten that much better. We plan on coming back especially since Disney opened their timeshare there and we can get "free" rooms so it might just go for another trip.

Phillygirl - I had a helicopter scheduled for Kauai and cancelled it...I believe we will be taking a plane tour...just haven't decided with which company yet.

TKincaid - hope we get to meet...have you signed up for our Roll call yet? Not much action going on there but I understand that is the norm.

I'm now trying to figure out a way to work the Haleakala Crater into our day on Maui but don't think that I'm going to make it.....unfortunately.

Helicopter/plane tour in Kauai is a must to see the entire island. Be sure to book mid morning after the fog but before the rain (afternoon).

When driving up Waimea Canyon, again don't go too early or you will be too foggy to see much from the top. And also try Shrimp Station across the street from Island Tacos.

BUDGET QUEEN Wow I think you helped me back about 4 or 5 years ago when I went to Alaska. You recommended the best seaplane ride with a blonde lady (I can't remember the name of the company or the town we took it at this moment) and was so fantastic, she even let my then 12 year old take over the wheel. It was amazing.

Yes thank you about the information about Maui and you have no idea how my husband gets about getting to the ship on time. So if we only go to the beaches north of Lahaina the next day is there a way to bypass Lahaina on the way back? Or maybe we will just skip the beaches and go straight to Lahaina, if we didn't go the night before. How late do you think things stay open at Lahaina? shopping wise? If we do go to Lahaina the next day do you think that if we head back by 2 we can make it to the ship by 4:30?

As for Kona the Seaquest people seem to think it is no problem getting off the ship and I plan to arrange for a taxi to take us to them.

So what exactly is a VIP priority tender ticket?

You flew with Island Wings, owner Michelle out of Ketchikan. :) There is late shopping in Lahaina, but no way around the potential traffic. One way there, one way back, unless you want the very time consuming, off limits for many rental cars road other end of loop.

VIP tender tickets is given to Platinium and suite people. I do recommend, you be up and ready to go early, at least 30 minutes prior and be first in line. I have been on this sailings where there were extensive waits for tenders. You never know what the actual numbers will be on your sailing, hopefully you don't have a full ship of early risers.

We are arriving on Thursday at 3:15 pm. Just thought we would walk around the hotel and area for the rest of day. Hilton Hawaiian Villlage

Friday - thinking about driving or doing a tour on the north coast. Any suggestions???

Saturday - Pearl Harbor........Board Ship. Will we have enough time to dour Pearl Harbor before we have to be on board??? I think we have to be on board by 3:00. Also, where would we put our luggage while we do Pearl Harbor? We have a transfer from the hotel to pier in our package. Will the hotel store our luggage?

Thanks everyone!!

I flew w/ Michelle of Island Wings too! She was fantastic and it was one of many highlights of our 2 wk trip to Alaska.

Back to the HI questions, there is no way to really bypass Lahaina. You don't have to go through the downtown area, but Rt. 30 is the only way around that part of Maui. We drove around the Northern end (Rt. 340 I think). It was a very narrow, twisty road and rental car companies forbid it (we did it anyway on 2 separate trips). It's definitely not faster.

Heli tour on Kauai is the way to go. I wouldn't do a plane unless the weight limit is a concern for you. They go much higher and can't turn as easily as a heli, so the passengers don't all get the great view.

Hilo - don't miss the Volcano National Park. I'd skip all the waterfalls, etc. to see it. You can see waterfalls on other islands, but lava no where else. It's a DEFINITE DO!!

We have a transfer from the hotel to pier in our package. Will the hotel store our luggage?

The hotel will definitely store your luggage.

Are you looking for a tour to do where they pick you up for the North Shore? Check out http://moonprincess.com/travel/486/ she did a very extensive review of her trip to Hawaii and this is the Circle Tour on Oahu.

HTH.

Several people asking questions so here are a few of my experiences.

There is plenty of time on Saturday to explore Oahu, we did Pearl Harbor on Friday and thought we were early enough but no, we had to wait till 11 am to do the tour so this set us back some.

Saturday we got up early and hiked Diamond Head to see the sunrise, than drove around some more, went back to hotel to shower and grab our bags than drove around somemore!

WE dropped our bags at the ship early, like noon than went inland to see the sights than returned the car and boarded around 3 with no lines at all

May I suggest the helicopter trip for your first day on Kauai and not day two, we booked ours for day two and it was cancelled due to weather and day one was a much better weather day.

So if we had booked day one and weather was bad we would have still had day two to try again!

We did Smith's luau on our first night in Kauai and loved it.

Kona, we rented a car and drove around and saw some really neat beaches than we went to Kona Beer and sampled the beers and had a great lunch!

Maui we rented a car for day two and just drove, so much to see plus we saw whales from almost every point we stopped at!

Our goal was to relax and have no big plans, only booked three trips. Road to Hana, luau and helicopter ride of Waimea. We didn't want to have to rush here and rush there. We really enjoyed stopping when we wanted to and just being by ourselves!

MCMONMY Yes I thought about doing helicopter first day in Kauai but we are doing a photo tour. So i guess i have to take my chances. On another post someone mentions that a photo tour is not needed and there are so many photo opportunities. My point of view is that you waste less time if someone guides you to these places. I am the tour guide in my family and sometimes it gets overwhelming if I have to plan every detail. Taking pictures is as close to a hobby as I can get and I love my travel pictures.

As for Saturday before boarding what do you suggest between check out and arriving to ship?

Onthego

I also love taking pictures and got some great pictures everywhere!

Like I said we did our own thing and stopped when we wanted to.

I had bought online frankosmaps.com, huge help to planning. This is how we found waterfalls and gardens and little out of the way places.

Smith's gardens were very pretty with tons of photo ops!

We had a car so that is how we got back to the ship, when we were booking the luau online it did state that certain times of the year they have transportation to and from the ship so I would check with them first.

Saturday before boarding we got up early (because of the time difference it was no problem as we were waking up at 2 am everyday!) and drove to Diamond Head and hiked to the top to see the sunrise! Take note, if there are more than 4 tour buses in the parking lot it will be way too crowded! We missed the sunrise because of the crowds but the view was still worth it!

We went to our hotel, freshened up, grabbed our bags and checked out. Headed to the ship about noon to drop off the bags than drove some more.

We than drove inland on the Likelike Hwy, my husband thought it was a fun name and wanted to drive on it. Lovely drive

We than returned the car at the airport, they shuttled us to the ship and we boarded about 3 or 4 pm with no lines.

Our room was ready but our bags were not there so we headed to the Aloha Cafe and sat outside and ate lunch and had a few cocktails!

We aren't about the cruise ship, we are about the ports of call so didn't see a need to rush to the ship. When we were there at noon with our bags the lines were very long! When we returned we just walked right on, no waiting

Saturday before boarding we got up early (because of the time difference it was no problem as we were waking up at 2 am everyday!) and drove to Diamond Head and hiked to the top to see the sunrise! Take note, if there are more than 4 tour buses in the parking lot it will be way too crowded! We missed the sunrise because of the crowds but the view was still worth it!

What time did you get to the parking lot ?

Archived