One thing you WISH you'd know about the Celebration

kdickers

There's always at least one thing everyone wishes they had know BEFORE they got on a certain ship (or went to a specific place etc) so . . . here's your chance to let someone else know beforehand!!!!!!

OK......it's a great deal to go on the Celebration.

The reason is because it's an older ship and

not in A+ condition everywhere.

There was nothing WRONG with it, it's just that

it was not brand new. (RE: June, 2002)

Whether or not they serve cappuccino! *ducking*:p

I KNOW you couldn't resist!!! :D But you know what . . . I STILL haven't found out the answer or . . . maybe I HAVE and I just didn't like the answer they gave!!! :rolleyes: Gotta keep tryin!!!!

Having just today returned from a 5 day trip on Celebration I was unable to locate the ships cappuccino machine. DW found a starbucks several blocks from the dock in Key West so withdrawl was not too bad.

My opinion has not changed on Celebration it was a wondeful trip and was our second. The ship was full with over 1400 people. 600 were under the age of 18 and 400 were under the age of 15. Not sure of the number but a large group of college age spring breakers mostly females in groups of 8. They seem to run in packs like that everywhere they went. Deck chairs and space to put them was hard most of the time and impossible several times. The age old practice of throwing a towel and magazine in a chair at 8 am and leaving it all day was alive and well. Totally unnoticed by ship staff.

Security seemed very laxed in the unrully childrens department, But since I was travelling with and met many school teachers on the trip. Loud or rude behavior was quickly dealt with my the adult's in the area.

Once again the staff is what makes this ship special. The Lido deck buffet line is still not the best around the food was hot most of the time. They have reverted to letting the passengers serve themselves again. I still have the vivid picture of the 12 year old grabbing handfuls of frys and chicken fingers with no regard to tongs and a parent no where to be found. Off duty school teachers once again pointed out his lack of social grace in a timely fashion.

Dinner was excellent each night and dressup night was fun. The ship was clean and I did not hear of or see anyone sick on this trip. Nice smooth ride going and coming even with the fog and rain on Friday night and Sat morning.

I will post a review once we catch up on mail and laundry.

We were on the Celebration this past Oct. and had a great trip! Reading these boards and reviews definitley helped on what to expect with this ship. I will tell you that we ate breakfast every morning and lunch most days (with the exception of maybe one) in the main dining room. We really felt that the quality of the food (for breakfast at least) was definitely better in there verses the Lido Deck buffet line....the scrambled eggs were bad and the omelets were very oily from the pan unlike the main dining room. Since it was our first cruise we really didn't know what to expect and were not impressed with the burgers or buffet area that much. We are sailing on the Glory in November and really looking forward to being on a much newer and larger ship. As far as deck chairs go...never really a problem because there are always extras stacked up in places on deck...just grab one and go!! Have a great trip!!

As far as deck chairs go...never really a problem because there are always extras stacked up in places on deck...just grab one and go!! Have a great trip!!

Thanks tocruzagain,

That's good to know!!

Keep these little tidbits coming!!!!

We had a great time on the Celebration a year ago this month (when it was sailing from Galveston) and I wrote a really positive review back then. Looking back, the one thing I didn't know very well before our trip was how really teeny tiny the Camp Carnival area was. Luckily they do a number of things outside of that area, and I realize this ship was built before large kids club areas became all the rage, but this area was not much larger than a bathroom! So, if you're looking for great kids areas, be warned.

edited to add: Only the younger kids spend much time in the actual "Camp Carnival" area, such as the 5-7 year olds and younger. My DS was 10 at the time and his group was never in that area of the ship much~~~their activities were usually held elsewhere.

Another poster already hit on it, but I think the "newbie" or first-time Carnival cruiser is WOWWED by the price and isn't aware at the time that it is an older, smaller ship. Along with this comes, in some cases, indications of wear and less amenities than are found on the newer, larger ships.

The older ships are usually delegated to the 3,4, and 5 day cruises which tend to draw a more party-oriented group that for some trying Carnival for the first time gives the impression of a "drink-'til-yah-puke" demographic which isn't so true of the longer cruises (with newer ships). :rolleyes:

Having said that, I must confess that one of my all-time favorite Carnival ships is the Fantasy-classed, ELATION. When she was in LA doing the Mexican Riviera, she was always kept in pristine condition and had the greatest deck layout and crew. This is why I now love the Spirit-class so well. Larger and newer, but a great deck layout. :)

KIM....I know that there was a Cap machine on the Ecstasy last year....in the same area where they have the Sushi bar (it's more of a station then a bar)...I'm certain you will find one....take heart my dear, all will be fine!:)

Archived