"Educational" sites

twinsmom2001

I would start with a trip to St George where you could walk through Fort St. Catherine. There are numerous other historical sites you could visit as well.

You might also discuss with them the part that Bermuda played in the Civil War! The Northern troops set up a blockade of Southern Ports. The Southern ships sneaked around the blockages and used Cuba and Bermuda as ports whereby their cotton could be sent on to England and in return they purchased munitions.

Just for starters!

Without knowing the ages of your children, here are a variety of ideas--

From Frommer's Online:

The Best Historic Sites

Scaur Hill Fort Park (Sandys Parish): Fort Scaur and Fort St. Catherine were part of a ring of fortifications that surrounded Bermuda. Built by the British navy, the fort was supposed to protect the Royal Naval Dockyard from an attack that never materialized. During World War II, U.S. Marines were billeted nearby. Overlooking Great Sound, the fort offers views of some of the island's most dramatic scenery.

Verdmont (Smith's Parish): This 1710 mansion is on property once owned by William Sayle, founder and first governor of South Carolina. Filled with portraits, antiques, and china, the house offers a rare glimpse into a long-faded life of old-fashioned style and grace. Resembling a small English manor house, it's the finest historic home in Bermuda.

St. Peter's Church (St. George's Parish): This is the oldest Anglican house of worship in the Western Hemisphere. At one time virtually everyone who died on Bermuda was buried here, from governors to criminals. To the west of the church lies the graveyard of slaves. The present church sits on the site of the original, which colonists built in 1612. A hurricane destroyed the first structure in 1712, but some parts of the interior survived. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1713.

Fort St. Catherine (St. George's Parish): This fort -- with its tunnels, cannons, and ramparts -- towers over the beach where the shipwrecked crew of the Sea Venture first came ashore in 1609 (becoming Bermuda's first settlers). The fort was completed in 1614, and extensive rebuilding and remodeling continued until the 19th century. The audiovisual presentation on St. George's defense system helps you better understand what you're seeing.

Additionally there is the aquarium http://www.bamz.org/ , crystal caves http://www.caves.bm/pages%20folder/crystal.html, the bermuda institute of ocean sciences http://www.bios.edu/visitor_info/index.html and the botanical gardens http://www.bgci.org/

Enjoy!

Laura

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I forgot to put their ages. They are 10 year old twins going into the 5th grade. My son loves history so there looks like there will be so much for him and my daughter loves the ocean. She wants to be a marine biologist, so it looks like she would enjoy the bermudia institute of ocean sciences. Thanks again.

I would start with a trip to St George where you could walk through Fort St. Catherine. There are numerous other historical sites you could visit as well.

You might also discuss with them the part that Bermuda played in the Civil War! The Northern troops set up a blockade of Southern Ports. The Southern ships sneaked around the blockages and used Cuba and Bermuda as ports whereby their cotton could be sent on to England and in return they purchased munitions.

Just for starters!

St Georges has the Deliverance ship, "dunking" ceremony which they used to do and the historical museum there has a wonderful short "movie" about Bermuda's part in Civil War and exhibit. Kings Wharf has maritime museum as well.

This Might be a little past your Twins, but: I'm also a ret. Teacher(May subjs. incl History) and I also taught ROTC & JrROTC as a fmr. Army Officer. I plan to return to teaching ROTC in 2013 when I relocate FM. the NYC area to AZ. and I am researching (currently) one of the few areas I'm weak on: Americas' influence on Bermuda during the 1940's through 1996 when the US Military Left Bermuda(Officially on 2 June 1995 the Airport was turned over to Bermuda for commercial flights, but we had a millitary attache' at the Embassy after that, and we still might). The "Int'l Airport" on St. David's Island used to be a USAF base, which My cousin(Now an AF 3-Star about to retire) was Stationed at as a Maj. In the 1970's after his tour in Vietnam.

The Dockyard has an exibit on the capture of German U-Boat during WW-II, and many of the Buildings currently standing throughout Bermuda were built by the Army Corps of Eng. & the Navy SeaBees(Const. Battialions) During WWII and Just after...

During Much of the cold war we had listening Posts (Radar & such) Throughout the Island(s)...And Bermuda was considered as a "staging" area for Operation Urgent Fury in 1983(The Liberation of Grenada from Communist Rule) but at the last Minute, Barbados & The Navy Base In Puerto Rico was chosen instead.( I was An Army Pilot assigned to that mission)

Bill(DrFootball)

(Energetically will I meet the Enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might.")

Line 5 of the U.S. Army Ranger Creed....

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.94 final beta for Mac

This Might be a little past your Twins, but: I'm also a ret. Teacher(May subjs. incl History) and I also taught ROTC & JrROTC as a fmr. Army Officer. I plan to return to teaching ROTC in 2013 when I relocate FM. the NYC area to AZ. and I am researching (currently) one of the few areas I'm weak on: Americas' influence on Bermuda during the 1940's through 1996 when the US Military Left Bermuda(Officially on 2 June 1995 the Airport was turned over to Bermuda for commercial flights, but we had a millitary attache' at the Embassy after that, and we still might). The "Int'l Airport" on St. David's Island used to be a USAF base, which My cousin(Now an AF 3-Star about to retire) was Stationed at as a Maj. In the 1970's after his tour in Vietnam.

The Dockyard has an exibit on the capture of German U-Boat during WW-II, and many of the Buildings currently standing throughout Bermuda were built by the Army Corps of Eng. & the Navy SeaBees(Const. Battialions) During WWII and Just after...

During Much of the cold war we had listening Posts (Radar & such) Throughout the Island(s)...And Bermuda was considered as a "staging" area for Operation Urgent Fury in 1983(The Liberation of Grenada from Communist Rule) but at the last Minute, Barbados & The Navy Base In Puerto Rico was chosen instead.( I was An Army Pilot assigned to that mission)

Bill(DrFootball)

(Energetically will I meet the Enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might.")

Line 5 of the U.S. Army Ranger Creed....

Thanks for the info. My husband would appreciate it. He minored in History in college and is a Army Medic in the reserves. He enjoys history, especially Military History.

Thanks for the info. My husband would appreciate it. He minored in History in college and is a Army Medic in the reserves. He enjoys history, especially Military History.

G0D bless him and Many thanks for his Service..:) If he's ever deployed may he be brought back to his family safe and sound.....

Bill(DrFootball)

("Air Assault! The Ride of your LIFE, First In-LAST OUT!")

Archived