One more Rome Hotel question

zaban3

I know on our first trip to Europe we couldnt book our first choice of hotels because a group from a cruisecritic roll call had completely booked it full !!!! So, yes, word of mouth will fill a small Rome hotel. And as others have said, the booking engines only get a certain number of rooms to book. I have found you can sometimes get an even better price by calling the hotel directly and offering to pay cash..... green still talks !

In retrospect I am glad we took our second choice. Better location and a bit nicer, altho a bit more $$

If you don't mind putting up a security deposit (which is fully refunded at checkout) you might want to consider renting an apartment for 3 nights. We are doing so in November. I would not do this if staying less than 3 nights but it can be soooo much cheaper and give you more room and a kitchen for coffee, breakfast or whatever if you chose to do a bit of eating in to save even more $$. Meals are EXPENSIVE in Rome !

check out www.rentalsinrome.com They have all price ranges in all areas of Rome.

Just something else to add to the mix ;)

Texan, I am experiencing this right now as the roll call completely sold out the Hotel Sonya. May I ask what your second choice hotel was that worked out so well? We are only staying 2 nights so the rental will not work for us.

Booked at Hotel Lancelot but looking at Hotel De Petris. I guess the location is better and it is less expensive. Any thoughts about the choice between these two. We will be walking most places.

The Hotel De Petris.just about 3 minutes to Trevi Fountain, is in a much better neighborhood for walking to all the main sights.I do not like the location of the Hotel Lancelot at all.It is convenient to the Coliseum but that is not really a great area. We are staying at the Hotel De Petris in May and I chose it because of the neighborhood and near my fav restaurant in Rome.Anytime we go to Rome we have tried to stay in the most central neighborhoods so we can wander at night. A hotel located from Trevi,to Pantheon,to Camp de Fiori up to Piazza Navonna is the perfect location in my opinion.The reviews on Trip Adviser for both hotels are fine.

Texan, I am experiencing this right now as the roll call completely sold out the Hotel Sonya. May I ask what your second choice hotel was that worked out so well? We are only staying 2 nights so the rental will not work for us.

Sure, second choice was Hotel Mozart. Right down from Spanish Steps (metro and taxi stand nearby) and great restaurants and shopping. Still walking distance to Trevi, Pantheon etc. but not as centered as Albergo del Senato which we stayed at our next trip over (2009)

Now, as for the apt. rental. Just because the rental site says minimum 3 nights...... you may still be able to rent for 2. We originally were only going to stay 2 nights precruise this November and I emailed the owner and asked if they would consider renting for 2 nights since it was available. They said yes. We then changed our plans and are now leaving a day earlier and will be staying 3 nights...... but my point is - ask. All they can say is No. Apartment is saving us alot of $$$ !

• 2 weeks later...

Its taking me way longer to pick a hotel than it did to pick a cruise. Right now I am booked at Hotel Modigliani but am seriously thinking about splurging and staying at Albergo del senato. Is it worth the extra several hundred dollars or should be spend that extra money exploring Rome?

Its taking me way longer to pick a hotel than it did to pick a cruise. Right now I am booked at Hotel Modigliani but am seriously thinking about splurging and staying at Albergo del senato. Is it worth the extra several hundred dollars or should be spend that extra money exploring Rome?

Go for the hotel.......and spend -0- walking all over the historic area of Rome. Some people will say you won't spend much time there but the location makes up for it. And the rooftop bar for sunsets is too.

Well opinions will vary but it would definitely NOT be worth the extra money to me.Any time we go to Rome we are only in our hotel to sleep.The most important thing to me is a central location so it makes walking to all the main sights easy. I do not want to have to take public transportation to get to the main areas.We are staying at the Hotel De Petris this year and stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo last time in Rome. Both hotels are nice,priced reasonable and in great locations.The Hotel Smeraldo also has a roof top area to sit on.Nice but I would rather be sitting in a sidewalk cafe watching people. Most of Rome can be walked and taxis are very reasonable priced.

I looked at the Hotel Modigliani on Trip Adviser and it has great reviews and looks very nice. Save your money for private tours on your trip.

This is really a personal choice -- it will just depend on you. I don't generally do many private tours, I prefer to do my own research and DIY. So my "splurge" may be a nicer hotel.

It's not just the hotel -- the Del Senato has a prime location, and the service is excellent. For example, I'll be staying there in a few weeks. I've been researching my fingers off on the Internet trying to figure out how to get into a particular site in Rome that is usually closed. All the info was either outdated or contradictory. So I emailed the Del Senato and asked them if they could help. Within 24 hours, they responded that they had called the group who runs the site, found out that there's a tour on one of the days I am there, and (with my permission), reserved the tour (limited space) for me.

This is really a personal choice -- it will just depend on you. I don't generally do many private tours, I prefer to do my own research and DIY. So my "splurge" may be a nicer hotel.

It's not just the hotel -- the Del Senato has a prime location, and the service is excellent. For example, I'll be staying there in a few weeks. I've been researching my fingers off on the Internet trying to figure out how to get into a particular site in Rome that is usually closed. All the info was either outdated or contradictory. So I emailed the Del Senato and asked them if they could help. Within 24 hours, they responded that they had called the group who runs the site, found out that there's a tour on one of the days I am there, and (with my permission), reserved the tour (limited space) for me.

See,just goes to show that different things are important to different people.:) I prefer less expensive hotels so I can go to Europe every year.The only time we take private tours is if transportation is a issue.We just started cruising last year but have traveled to Europe many times on our own.To me ANY hotel is just a hotel.I just want a place to sleep that is clean,well located and a reasonable price.Also that is nice what they did but I have had the same type of service from other hotels in Rome that did not cost nearly as much.:)

I am sure the DEl Senato is lovely but it is way out of my price range. There are hundreds of suitable hotels in Rome that would be a good choice. I just want people to know that there are many other options available that would make them happy.

See,just goes to show that different things are important to different people.:) I prefer less expensive hotels so I can go to Europe every year.The only time we take private tours is if transportation is a issue.We just started cruising last year but have traveled to Europe many times on our own.To me ANY hotel is just a hotel.I just want a place to sleep that is clean,well located and a reasonable price.Also that is nice what they did but I have had the same type of service from other hotels in Rome that did not cost nearly as much.:)

I am sure the DEl Senato is lovely but it is way out of my price range. There are hundreds of suitable hotels in Rome that would be a good choice. I just want people to know that there are many other options available that would make them happy.

I did say it is a personal choice. ;)

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Rome, at various price points, both more and less expensive than the Albergo del Senato. I have not gotten the same service elsewhere.

BTW, I just checked the rates at Hotel De Petris for the dates I'll be in Rome. The Del Senato is less than 10 euro more per night for the type of room I booked.

I did say it is a personal choice. ;)

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Rome, at various price points, both more and less expensive than the Albergo del Senato. I have not gotten the same service elsewhere.

BTW, I just checked the rates at Hotel De Petris for the dates I'll be in Rome. The Del Senato is less than 10 euro more per night for the type of room I booked.

WOW! Is it really only a 10 euro difference. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

I am paying 430 euro for 3 nights in May 2012 booked directly through the hotel. I will check out Del Senato now.

WOW! Is it really only a 10 euro difference. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

I am paying 430 euro for 3 nights in May 2012 booked directly through the hotel. I will check out Del Senato now.

Well I checked out the Del Senato and the rates for May 18 through May 21 are 920 Euro with Venere dot com,booking dot com and directly with the hotel. That is double what I am paying so for me not worth the additional amount. Thanks for checking it though the difference must be the off season vs. in season prices.

Absolutely, positively !!!! By that I mean it all depends on WHEN you are going (hi season vs lo season) as to how much you will pay for a hotel in Rome ! When asking for recommendations here or anywhere else, remember to take that into consideration. Always check the website for YOUR DATES !

We stayed at the Albergo del Senato both pre and post cruise in May 2009.

Pre cruise was low season...... one price. Post cruise was high season...... another price much higher than the first visit :o

We stayed at Hotel Mozart our very first trip to Rome. Also nice hotel and good location (right near the Spanish steps) but the del Senato was truly special.

It is definately a personal decision.

Letsgo: have you considered an apt. since you will be there 3 nights? Much cheaper than a hotel and there are tons in superb locations. It would also give you more room and a kitchen(ette) which we find to be really nice. We are staying in one next month right behind the del Senato for a LOT LESS than a hotel in that area !

We are looking to spend 3 days pre-cruise (July 2 Celebrity Med. Cruise). After spending many hours online I am considering these three hotels: Lancelot, Raffaello and Hotel Canada. Any thought?

Is it accurate when the sites say "only 1 room left". Do hotels really fill up one year in advance?

What is the "safest" way to book - through the hotel's web sight? email? through a sight such as Venere.com?

We stayed at Hotel Canada in June and had a great stay - lovely hotel, very good price. It is not very near Termini, and the area is best described as "student-friendly" although the hotel itself is beautiful, very comfortable, quite sedate and not filled with students. It is less than 100 metres from the Castro Pretoria metro station, and felt very safe to this country mouse, even well after midnight.

Booking through Venere.com has worked very well for us in the past. It can sometimes be cheaper to book directly with the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from 9/30/11 10 night Eastern Med cruise on the Equinox. Pre-cruise we stayed at Residenza Antica Roma. It is a small hotel, located near both Trevi and Spanish Steps and a few blocks from metro station. Great location, room a bit on the small side, but very reasonably priced. Would definitely use again.

Archived