Appearance of the menus seem very casual.

happy cruzer

The MDR should be a sophisticated, upscale experience. The dress code has gotten more casual, the look of the menu is more casual, as are the menu items (hamburger, meatloaf :eek:). All of this taken together seems to take some of the magic of "dining" in the MDR away, in my opinion.

The MDR should be a sophisticated, upscale experience. The dress code has gotten more casual, the look of the menu is more casual, as are the menu items (hamburger, meatloaf :eek:). All of this taken together seems to take some of the magic of "dining" in the MDR away, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to argue, but I guess Carnival thinks it "should not" be. This trend has been going on for awhile. I saw a guy and girl wearing t-shirts and shorts on Elegant night last cruise for the first time. I just laughed internally - Carnival doesn't care and that is just the way it is. It is a different product, but anyone who has followed the line should not be too surprised.

The sophisticated upscale experience is in the Steakhouse, not the MDR. The MDR is becoming more casual (coats and ties no longer required on Elegant Night...no longer Formal Night). This isn't an accident, but Carnival's evolving business plan. It's not personal - it's business. Keep that in mind.

You have a point...but it's also the dining room with tablecloths, cloth napkins and chandeliers. Maybe even Carnival is very confused about who or what they are!

Exactly! Why not just mimic the ambiance of Chilis....have the waiters not dress in formal vests and button up's.

This whole thread made me laugh.

I wished my life was so dull and boring that I could sit here all day critiquing little asinine things that Carnival does.

My advice get a life. A Cruise is what you make of it and a font or the MDR being casual is sure not going to disturb my cruising experience.

I'm sorry the sophistication has gone:( Not because of the menu, but people refusing to dress up, even a little, to eat there. So, they may be thinking that give the cruisers what they want, and that's a more casual looking menu to go with passengers not wanting to dress up. I am one who will never show up in jeans nor shorts.;)

I'm sure Carnival will be upset to hear that their psychologists and artists were unnecessary, when really all they needed was you!

Carnival isn't Regent or Crystal; they are the "Fun Ship". It seems to me intentional that the new menus are café-like.

I wished my life was so dull and boring that I could sit here all day critiquing little asinine things that Carnival does.

My advice get a life. A Cruise is what you make of it and a font or the MDR being casual is sure not going to disturb my cruising experience.

As opposed to critiquing the threads on here and insulting members? Yes, you must have very important things to do in your "life". :rolleyes:

My mom used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

like like like :D:cool:

Jeez. I don't think even a CRUISE would help the people so uptight regarding this menu. I'm not sure what I'm missing... there's still lobster, there's still shrimp, there's still prime rib, rack of lamb, smoked duck, bitter 'n blanc, creme brulee. But adding hamburgers and the word "didja" makes the menu sad somehow? I don't get it.

Jeez. I don't think even a CRUISE would help the people so uptight regarding this menu. I'm not sure what I'm missing... there's still lobster, there's still shrimp, there's still prime rib, rack of lamb, smoked duck, bitter 'n blanc, creme brulee. But adding hamburgers and the word "didja" makes the menu sad somehow? I don't get it.

It's like I said earlier..Nit Pick Bizarro World.

Seriously...I feel like I am in some nit-picky bizarro world.

This x2. :eek: I'm cruising on the Victory in 39 days and was excited before seeing the new menu, now after seeing it, guess what... I'm still excited! How can anyone seriously have an issue with them changing the font on the menu and not offering shrimp cocktail everyday? Carnival is a budget cruise line. You're not going to get a new BMW for the price of a Hyundai. Hyundais are great cars, but if you want a BMW you gotta pay for it. Go to the steakhouse, it's worth it, trust me. I think alot of cruisers have gotten very spoiled. Where else can you get a seafront hotel with all of your meals and entertainment included for $700 a week? Go ahead, I'll wait....:)

[quote name='happy cruzer']so i know this is a nitpick

put i think the appearance of the new menus is very casual. I would not expect to see a menu with such large, comic font and no caps in any good restaurant. More like a cafe or very casual spot.

The didja and comfort food on every menu including elegant night is very casual as well.

It encourages me not to take the dining room service or dress code seriously since they do not take their menu seriously.

This is fine. It is another item that makes carnival more casual than other cruise lines.

But also to be fair other lines are going this way too, so it may be a trend that meets the needs of the general cruising public.

I just hope the food prep stays as good as before. And i'll deal with the comic font and casual appearance. Jmho.[/quote]

omg.

I just think its sad that the new menu is cafe.
Yes I know its the fun ship...But when did dressing for dinner and dine
become not fun?
It was nice when you had choices if you wanted to dine you went to the main dining room.
If you just wanted to eat you went to the buffet or room service.
I really think CC is sending a mixed message here you have a nice dining room with applebee's food.

[quote name='lhanson38']
I really think CC is sending a mixed message here [B]you have a nice dining room with applebee's food.[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't get the "Applebee's food" comment. I don't see Applebee's food on the menu. I see some comfort food offerings, I see some burgers, and then I see many, many dishes miles away from Applebee's food.

[quote name='lhanson38']I just think its sad that the new menu is cafe.
Yes I know its the fun ship...But when did dressing for dinner and dine
become not fun?
It was nice when you had choices if you wanted to dine you went to the main dining room.
If you just wanted to eat you went to the buffet or room service.
I really think CC is sending a mixed message here you have a nice dining room with applebee's food.[/quote]

I don't know what applebees you are going to but the ones I have gone to do not offer, chautebriand, lamb, alligator, duck so on and so forth. You might want to take a look again. There is no comparison.

By the way, everyone keeps speaking of elegant dining. I don't know the last elegant restaurant I went to that has the wait staff dancing on the tables and chairs lol.

[quote name='lhanson38']There is nothing gourmet about this menu.
This menu is the same as a midprice bistro. The kind of place that I would wear jeans to. Totaly mass market menu.
This is sad.[/QUOTE]
Its a mass market cruise line, so why shouldn't have a mass market menu?

[quote name='bougiet']I don't know what applebees you are going to but the ones I have gone to do not offer, chautebriand, lamb, alligator, duck so on and so forth. You might want to take a look again. There is no comparison.

By the way, everyone keeps speaking of elegant dining. I don't know the last elegant restaurant I went to that has the wait staff dancing on the tables and chairs lol.[/quote]

Ok I don't do applebee..But I do know they do Alligator nuggets..Ick.
My Point is that you have a nice dining room. with a lot of everyday food.
And yes it true it is not fine dining hasn't been in years.
I just really feel like they have dumb down the menu.
I'm a F & B mang for a Inn with 2 dining veneu one is 7 courses fine dining. The other is casual fine dining. A while we do have a burger on the casual menu it is done with smoked guda, red onion marmalade, and portabella mushrooms. And there are no F.F.
I just feel there is dining..And then there is just getting something to eat.
CC Has in the past tried to at least make a dining experice (sp)
But with burgers, mac and cheese,ribs Its like at best Applebees or there like it.

[quote name='Slo_Pokey']OMG, *drools*[/quote]

It is really good the flavors just meld together..
And really I'm not being a snob..I love a good buger in a beach bar with a margarita. Wearing my flip flops and shorts.
I just feel like they set the venue as fine dining. And the 2 should not be mixed.:)

Archived