? for the gty experts

I have read here that if you book a guarantee and are assigned your cabin you sometimes can be asked to be put back in the pool in the hopes of getting a different cabin. There are no more cabins in the category I have been assigned (D3, Explorer), but there is still a balcony gty available.

My question is if they no longer offer the balcony gty can you still ask to go back in the pool or is this not possible since the gty isn't available anymore?

I hope my question is clear. And yes, I know about booking a gty and being willing to accept the worst cabin in that category. I actually am asking for a friend of mine.

My experience is that if you booked a balcony gty and not a specific category gty an the gty is still available you can ask to be put back into the pool. Not sure if this is still an option.

With an OV gty on the Majesty we went back into the pool and received the same cabin. That happened on two more returns to the pool. We finally ended up with an SOV.

I have read here that if you book a guarantee and are assigned your cabin you sometimes can be asked to be put back in the pool in the hopes of getting a different cabin. There are no more cabins in the category I have been assigned (D3, Explorer), but there is still a balcony gty available.

My question is if they no longer offer the balcony gty can you still ask to go back in the pool or is this not possible since the gty isn't available anymore?

I hope my question is clear. And yes, I know about booking a gty and being willing to accept the worst cabin in that category. I actually am asking for a friend of mine.

I've only booked a gty once, and the outcome was good. My understanding, as per the RCI rep, is that once you are assigned a cabin your reservation is no longer designated as a "guaranty cabin".

You can move then your cabin into another available cabin in your assigned category without incurring an extra fee. I was initially assigned an E2 way forward, and kept an eye on other E2s as they became available. I moved twice until I was midship.

I don't know if this answers your question. Are wanting to hold out for something better than what you've been assigned? The way it works, I don't think that you can reject what they've assigned you to, except to move within your assigned category.

Teddie

This is not actually for me, but for a friend of mine. There are no more cabins available in the category of balcony cabin that she was assigned (D3....they only have D1s and D2s now), so just moving to another in that category is not an option. That's why I was thinking the only thing to do is be put back in the pool and see what happens. I told her she might be assigned the same cabin again.

My main question was if there is no longer a balcony gty offered, can you still go back into the pool (does the gty pool still exist)?

I've booked some gtys, normally when I wait til that's all that's left days before the cruise. Last time it was just me and I got a D3 that held 5 that's not available unless you call.

I will tell you something that happened last year. I booked late and changed from one ship to another with some heavy convincing they let me do it into the same price category as a balcony but all balconies were sold out so I got a very large oceanview that also held 5. So the day before the cruise, they had balcony categories back open for sale online. I called and I was a little upset because originally I was supposed to be in a like category so they made the change for me and I was thrilled. So keep in mind it's late in the afternoon the day before the cruise. The next day when I got there, my neighbors on both sides were upset because the people who were booked in my cabin got moved !!!! They had booked the gty, then requested to be with their friends, and whatever happened, they got moved again last minute. That's the only time I've ever heard of it happening. But it makes sense if 2 people get assigned into a gty for 5 and only cabins for 2 are open ,

then a party of 5 is willing to pay or not cruise they'll move you again.

I think I remember the room still listed as a gty even if I have a number

They do plenty of moving rooms just before sailing, stuff might be broken, people cancel last minute, they might hold so many cabins empty for changes, then sell them, and people still get upgraded the day of.

I haven't heard of going back into the pool but try it, is your friend booked directly through Royal ? They might be more open to accepting the request or calling really close to sailing if it's a direct reservation, even the day before. If it's through a TA , they might tell your friend that changes can only be made through the TA.

I originally had a balcony. About a month ago I upgraded to a catagory w, suite guarantee.

Within a day I was assigned a very nice, non adjoining JS in the middle of the 'hump'.

I was hoping for a GS but the JS was as good as they get for that catagory.

I called Royal Caribbean last week because there were no JS left & asked to be put back in the 'pool'. The lady was very kind & said that I could do that but warned me that there were indeed a few JS left that I would not be able to see on the internet site. Although there was the 'possibilty' of getting a GS, she could not guarantee I did not get a different JS......could be adjoining on another part of the ship. She said if that happened, odds were I would not be able to get my current JS, on the hump with the bigger balcony, back.

I decided that I did not want to chance giving up the room I currently had.

This is not actually for me, but for a friend of mine. There are no more cabins available in the category of balcony cabin that she was assigned (D3....they only have D1s and D2s now), so just moving to another in that category is not an option. That's why I was thinking the only thing to do is be put back in the pool and see what happens. I told her she might be assigned the same cabin again.

My main question was if there is no longer a balcony gty offered, can you still go back into the pool (does the gty pool still exist)?

That is a great question....wish I had an answer for you but I don't know:confused:

What I can tell you is that I recently booked a Balcony GTY...I was assigned a connecting D1 aft on deck 6...not a great spot right over the galley...there were no other D1's to move to...they were all given out as GTY's I assume...however there were Cat D2's showing as available. I asked to be put back into the pool....i was told that you are almost always assigned the same cabin again when you do this....especially that it will be the only D1 back in again. Well later in the same day I got assigned a D2 instead...better yet the next day a prime D2 came available and I switched....as you can switch as long as you are in the same category assigned. All this took place 2 weeks prior to sailing.

Do keep in mind that Royal does hold back cabins that you will sometimes not see showing available on their or anyone else's web-site....so just because a Cat shows sold out doesn't always mean there are no cabins in that Cat.

This is another thing that happened once on an Interior GTY....got assigned a Cat K...again didn't like the position and wanted to see if I could switch.....problem was there were no Cat K's available for 2 people....they were however plenty available for 3 or 4 people.....but because they didn't show available for 2, even though i was assigned one that held up to 4 people they wouldn't let me move.

All times Balcony GTS's were still being offered.

Archived