Any sunshine?

baxley

The extended weather forecast for our early Aug trip was for rain, rain and rain, every day. We were there for 2 weeks. Had 3 days of showers/steady rain, the rest of the days were partly cloudy to full on total sunshine. I guess be prepared for the worst (we were) and rejoice if you see the sun !! Alaska was beautiful in the rain and in the sun :). Enjoy !!

Don't sweat it too much. I sail Alaska pretty much every year and the weather forecast is almost always showers. This doesn't really mean it will rain all the time, I've had pretty good luck and in fact have had overall very little rain. Hopefully this trend continues as I sail on Sat for a B2B :)

We did Anchorage-Denali-Talkeetna-Anchorage July 24-31.The weather forecast before we left was for a 30-60% of rain for those days.There was a light rain when we landed in Anchorage Sunday night.Monday there was a light rain(on and off) on our Prince Williams Sound Glacier Cruise.Not bad as we were able see everything and take pictures.Tuesday on the way to Denali (train) overcast but no rain.Wednesday We took the Tundra Wilderness Tour,again overcast but no rain.Was not able to see Mt Mckinley but did see two Grizzly bears(one with a cub),a Wolf,several Mouse and Caribou,Also several Dall sheep.The dirt road at times was a little muddy but overall a good day.Thursday no rain and had some sunshine on the train to Talkeetna.Also, we finally had a view of Mt Mckinley but for the most part still cloudy.Friday morning still had great view of Mt McKinley but low clouds prevented us from doing the glacier landing.However we were able to it at 3:00 PM.Knowing what I know now I wouldn't schedule a mourning glacier landing.Saturday and Sunday were good days, cloudy but with some sunshine.

Looking at the weather forecast before we left we were pretty much down and had prepared for the worst but as it turned out we were pleased with the weather.It was one our better tours,What rain we encounted was very light.Hope this help

FWIW the week before we sailed the forecast was chance of rain. The web cam showed overcast and rain that week from the ship I was sailing.

Our week, actually the day we left the forceast was the same. Check the pictures, YMMV.

What happened last week has no bearing on the next week or the next day for that matter.

People just coming back from Alaska....did you have ANY sun? We leave Friday and it's looking Totally WET! Thanks.

612727839_246KetchikanTotem.jpg.77a03e66bcdb434ef4916429034c9d85.jpg

1817256649_502MendenhallGlacier.jpg.16b91a7f2c54380faec6cafea5d6957d.jpg

1622008647_720ReturningtoSkagway.jpg.799f592ff9d7fd0f32c0c94c6b948973.jpg

Well if you're coming into Southcentral Alaska, it has been raining and raining. Today in Anchorage it was like someone kept turning the faucet on. It was absolutely pouring at time.

I lost my DSL while we were on vacation and when I talked to the repair line on Monday (the techs couldn't do anything online on Sunday) they said it was 5 to 6 day wait because of all the rain we've been having.

And the whole weather map for SC including the Kenai Peninsula and the Mat-Su Valley going towards Denali is rain, rain, rain.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We were in Alaska in July (15-22 cruise and 22-29 landtour), and it rained almost every day. Some days it rained on and off throughout the day, and on some days it poured. The nicest days were in Ketchikan (our first stop) and Fairbanks (our last stop). The worst days were in ISP and Juneau. The rain and cloud covering was so bad in Juneau, that helicopters and floatplanes were cancelled. Our dogsledding tour was cancelled, of course. In ISP, the rain was bad, but did not prevent us from doing what we had planned.....zipline, atv, and whale watching. Don't forget to bring a rain jacket....preferable one that is waterproof, breathes, lightweight and easy to fold.....you will be putting it in your knapsack and taking it out many times during the course of the day.

Have fun.....we did.....despite the weather.

We were in Alaska in July (15-22 cruise and 22-29 landtour), and it rained almost every day. Some days it rained on and off throughout the day, and on some days it poured. The nicest days were in Ketchikan (our first stop) and Fairbanks (our last stop). The worst days were in ISP and Juneau. The rain and cloud covering was so bad in Juneau, that helicopters and floatplanes were cancelled. Our dogsledding tour was cancelled, of course. In ISP, the rain was bad, but did not prevent us from doing what we had planned.....zipline, atv, and whale watching. Don't forget to bring a rain jacket....preferable one that is waterproof, breathes, lightweight and easy to fold.....you will be putting it in your knapsack and taking it out many times during the course of the day.

Have fun.....we did.....despite the weather.

We got off the Millennium the day you got on. We had a completely different experience with the weather! It was SO warm that we wore tank tops in every port and only had to put on layers to go on excursions when needed. In Juneau we drove around in a convertible with the top down, in our tank tops! When we drove to Emerald Lake from Skagway, the temp gauge in our car said it was 84 degress! Even for our week on our land tour, we had gorgeous weather. I am very thankful, but we were prepared for rain and would have enjoyed ourselves even if it rained all the time. Alaska is so incredible! So prepare for the worst and hope for the best!!

Before we went on our cruise last month, the forecast was rain in every port. However, we got lucky and got beautiful sunny weather in Skagway, Ketchikan (!) and Glacier Bay!! So don't lose hope, you might still get some nice weather. Do be ready for the rain, though - layers under a light raincoat work well.

Happy cruising!

We were there July 22-29. Forecast was rain, and we got rain. Worse, we got low fog that prevented floatplanes and helicopters from flying. My advice:

First of all, make sure you have GOOD raingear. Alaska can be beautiful in the rain, but only if you are comfortable. Waterproof-breathable jacket, fleece layer, water-repellent or waterproof pants, hiking shoes or other waterproof shoes. Forget about umbrellas, jeans, and tennis shoes. Hat and windproof gloves are useful out there, though.

Second, make sure you have an idea of what to do if it does rain or the fog cancels flightseeing. You need to have a backup plan in mind, or the weather will leave you discouraged and cranky. Trust me, it is hard to come up with spontaneous new plans for the day when you're standing in the middle of a cold, gray, drizzle with fog. Suggestions for stuff that works well even in the rain:

• Ketchikan - kayaking, totem museum, trails just outside town, fish and chips or salmon chowder at that place on the water by Stan's
  • Icy Strait - whale watching, walking along the beach
  • Juneau - Mendenhall by bus (and trails along it, and visitor's center), rafting, whale watching, state museum
  • Skagway - drive to Emerald Lake, hike out to the lake, take a ranger's walking tour

Third, read up on how to keep your camera dry to take pictures. It's easy to find this info online (ideas for using felt or plastic camera shields you can make yourself, etc.).

Fourth, forget about those blue-sky pictures of scenery you were hoping to take. Look at the beautiful deep greens of the evergreens and the bark darkened by the rain. Appreciate the texture of rainforest plants. Picture yourself as a pioneer in a gray, windswept fishing town. Delight in the deep blues of glacier ice (best visible on a cloudy day). Enjoy the rare chance to kayak in utter silence (no floatplanes overhead!).

It is still raining here and the Kenai Peninsula and up into the Valley. The weather person said somewhere in the area is going to get 3 to 6 inches but I'm not sure who (Anchorage or the Peninsula).

Was out on NOAA and there is a Flood Warning for Misty Fjords issued today.

Oh, the lovely gray days of August (though I have to say it's better than snow :eek:)

At least we can see the mountain tops today, and there's no termination dust!

Thank heaven for that, but I see the fireweed has gone to seed (gone 8 days) so not sure when that happened, but what does the saying say, once the fireweed tops out, 6 weeks to our first snow :eek:

We just got back from our Alaskan cruise yesterday. It was FREEZING up the coast from San Francisco to Juneau, and rained in Juneau to the point that many people had tours cancelled. In Skagway it sprinkled in the morning and was extremely foggy as we took the highway into Canada. We could see nothing off the cliff by the welcome to Alaska sign, but it did clear up once we got into Canada. Glacier Bay day was chilly but clear and it sprinkled in Ketchikan the entire day. Vancouver was our only "comfortable" day. Make sure to pack a beanie, scarf, and gloves for sure!

Thank heaven for that, but I see the fireweed has gone to seed (gone 8 days) so not sure when that happened, but what does the saying say, once the fireweed tops out, 6 weeks to our first snow :eek:

You scared me, but I just looked out my window and mine still has a few more layers to bloom...

Well, the old timers used to say that 6 weeks from firewood bloomed all the way to the top was the time first snow would come. I heard from family members who live higher up than Anchorage that the fireweed is nearly done for 2011.

This is when we get really serious about watching out for the well being of old folks who tend to get depressed when the fireweed is done.

Where I am in Texas right now it is about to be 107 again! Dry as a bone and miserable. Anyone want to trade?

Just returned last night from cruise... Mostly foggy/wet... rained the two days we were in ports... Juneau and Skagway but we just made the best of it and walked in the rain anyways... my own fault for not bringing the umbrella... duh!

Our visit into Victoria was spectacular with sunny skies....

Some days at sea were sunny... some were rainy and wet... but it was so beautiful and I was with my family so it didn't even matter :)

Happy Sailing...

(just bring your umbrella and light weight rain jacket and you will be fine ;)

Archived