How does FLL port compare to MIA port?

MamaParrotHead

All 4 of our cruises have been out of MIA port and looks like this upcoming one will be out of FLL. Just curious as to how they compare on service and passenger flow and such. Also curious as to how the area compares to Port of Miami as far as hotels and restaurants and shopping.

Thanks!

All 4 of our cruises have been out of MIA port and looks like this upcoming one will be out of FLL. Just curious as to how they compare on service and passenger flow and such. Also curious as to how the area compares to Port of Miami as far as hotels and restaurants and shopping.

Thanks!

Stacey FLL is our favorite port to sail out of~! It's so easy and everything you could want in a cruise port. Embarkation is quick and painless and the staff is so friendly~! We've stayed at the Renaissance for 3 previous cruises but this time we are staying at Embassy Suites. Embassy Suites and Hyatt and are two popular choices for hotels as both are right near the Publix shopping center. There's a Total Wine there along with several restaurants. CVS and Walgreens are in the area too. If you decide you want to see the beach area you can hop on a trolly and it will take you there for 50 cents. It's all a very short walk and convenient. The airport is a short 10 minute ride as well. You are going to LOVE sailing out of FLL and it will seem like a dream compared to the hustle of Miami :)

I absolutely agree. FLL is sooooo much easier than that mess in Miami. If I have an option, it's Ft. Lauderdale between those two, and as noted above, the Ft. Lauderdale airport is just a stones throw from the port. As a matter of fact, you can check out your ship, on approach to the airport, (if you're on the correct side of the aircraft!) ;)

"SKY"

Just to add my thoughts...I have not sailed out of FLL but have Miami. Our next cruise still leaves from Miami. We are sailing with my parents, who have sailed out of both. On their recommendation we are staying two days prior to our cruise at the Ft Lauderdale Hilton Marina. If you Google it and see it's location...it is actually just across the bridge from the port. So from my parents, they like FLL and the area better than Miami. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone!

and thanks to you for posting the question. I have my first cruise out of FLL in November. I actually LOVE cruising out of Miami (never had a problem and absolutely love all the things to do in Miami) But everyone is raving so much about the FLL port that I'm notw even more looking forward to getting there :)

Noon to be safe, although 11 is usually fine as well.

We've never sailed from Miami, but have several times from Port Everglades. I wonder if Miami has the same type of send off that you get from the condos at Port Everglades. Still amazes me after all these years that so many people still go out on their balconies week after week and honk horns and wave flags.

Thanks!

Where do you shop and dine in Miami? Overall, Miami has much better shopping and dining that Fort Lauderdale but around the port, Fort Lauderdale has better dining and shopping.

I prefer Gallery One Doubletree and the Galleria Mall (on the waterway across from the beach) or Las Olas and The Riverside.

While 17th Street has fantastic restaurants and shopping, it is too industrialized for my taste. It is the ground zero yachting capitol of North America.

Archived