Changes for VIPs at Galveston!!!

*Mach*

Hey, guys... I've had recent reports of changes going on at the cruise terminal at Galveston so I thought I'd go to a friend of mine who's a shore side agent down there to get some input. This is what she reported in an email this morning...

Yes, there are a lot of changes at the terminal! And, I am now a supervisor for the Magic. The bottom level is in almost full swing with the security all in the first level and the VIP line starting at the door. The VIP escalator is not up and running yet, but should be very soon.

The upstairs changes are in full swing as well with a lot of wall removals going on this weekend. I have not seen any gangway stuff happening, but I don't go in till Saturday. They have been working on the dock area for a while.

Meanwhile, next week we are training on a new check in system which is supposed to be very slick. We will see.

We are leaving here on Oct 11 and return with the ship. Apparently, I will be very busy once I arrive. I should see you then.

Janet

Awesome, huh? There's a new VIP area upstairs that's walled off from the general boarding area. I asked about the new check in system... I'm hoping it will get rid of that crappy little waiting room that VIP guests are crammed into prior to check in...

:)

Brilliant, eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As promised, I am back from my Conquest cruise and thought I'd post my experience with the New VIP proceedures in GAL. We arrived on the hotel shuttle shortly after 1PM. There was a line of people outside down the front of the building. I told my partner to stand in line while I walked up to the door to see if there was a VIP entrance. NOPE. I went back and it took us about 20 minutes to get to the door. In the meantime, the security officer was just letting anyone who felt priveliged (and not VIP) to cut in line and go on in. Once through the door, no signs pointing to a VIP line (I'm thinking by this point what a crock of crap someone reported on here). Finally, I was able to get within talking distance of an agent and asked where the VIP line started. She of course pointed to the far end of the wall. had we known this, it would have saved us about 10 minutes in line.....Meanwhile, we wound our way around and finally made it to the scanner line. There wasn't a specific line dedicated for VIP, so there were already about 20 people that were moved over from the main crowd. Another 10 minutes and then it's our turn to walk through the scanner. We had two bottles of wine in our checked bag (as permitted and required by Carnival). We were told we had to go to the table. What table? I asked. You guessed it, the one with the long line. I keep telling myself that I'm on vacation, no worries mon.

We finished with the table and made our way up the escalators. You then have to cross the main line of people to get to the VIP check in. We waited in the lounge for a few minutes, got checked in, and crossed the main line of people again. After 3 photo ops before the gangway, we finally stepped foot on the ship about 2:10.

Needless to say, my experience with the new VIP proceedures in GAL was not a good one. It was much better before, I think. This was my 3rd Platinum/VIP. Maybe they will have the kinks worked out before my next cruise from there.

We were on the 9-11 Conquest cruise. We dropped our bags around 10:45 and 2 of us stayed with our carry on bags and 2 went to park at Lighthouse.

There was no line at that time and there was a clearly marked VIP line. When the 2 returned from parking the car we went right through the VIP line to the scanner. All 4 of us had water and Cokes in our bags but only 2 of us had to have our bags checked at the table. No problem since the bottles were unopened.

When we got to the escalator the lady there asked if we wanted to use the elevator instead since no one was waiting for it. No one was waiting for VIP check in so were able to be check in immediately and go to to the VIP waiting area. They started boarding at 11:30 and we were in the first group on after the wedding party and wheel chair guests. You still have the long winding way to the ship though.

They did say they were not through with all the remodeling and there would be an escalator just for VIP so you wouldn't have to wait in the other line any more.

This was one of the quickest embarkations for us. We have waited in line for over 2 hours before.

Great!!!!!!

We were on the 9-11 Conquest cruise. We dropped our bags around 10:45 and 2 of us stayed with our carry on bags and 2 went to park at Lighthouse.

There was no line at that time and there was a clearly marked VIP line. When the 2 returned from parking the car we went right through the VIP line to the scanner. All 4 of us had water and Cokes in our bags but only 2 of us had to have our bags checked at the table. No problem since the bottles were unopened.

When we got to the escalator the lady there asked if we wanted to use the elevator instead since no one was waiting for it. No one was waiting for VIP check in so were able to be check in immediately and go to to the VIP waiting area. They started boarding at 11:30 and we were in the first group on after the wedding party and wheel chair guests. You still have the long winding way to the ship though.

They did say they were not through with all the remodeling and there would be an escalator just for VIP so you wouldn't have to wait in the other line any more.

This was one of the quickest embarkations for us. We have waited in line for over 2 hours before.

I'm happy that your embarkation went more smoothly than ours. I'm sure it will be great once they work out all the kinks.

Did you see the Coast Guard guys walking around the decks with guns holstered? Also, the Coast Guard boat that was at the side of the ship all evening with the guy at the front of the boat at the machine gun. We were having dinner (6PM) and looked out the window and saw this. Glad to see security heightened because of 9/11.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious...

We will be platinum this cruise out of Galveston (11/7).

We are traveling with another couple and this is their 3rd or 4th cruise.

Will we be able to stay together and all of us use VIP(i.e. them tag along with us), or will we two couples have to separate and meet up on ship (or, of course we could forego the VIP checkin and wait in line with everyone else)?

Thoughts on how that works from someone in the know?

I've heard many different "opinions," and was wondering what might be the "real story?"

GP

If your reservations are linked together you may be able too. That has been reported in the past. As you said here you will get only opinions. You could call Carnival Customer Service and ask.

Thanks for the response...I was *really* hoping Mach might know/be able to ask his "contact" (shore side agent) at the actual port of debarkation ;).

GP

Hey, GuitarPlayer, we were on the 10-10 sailing of the Triumph out of Galveston. I asked your very question, because we typically sail with friends who are not platinum. And the answer was that no, it is only for the platinum guests. She said they were not allowing it anymore in order to provide a "better" (more special) experience for those platinum and suite guests.

And I have to say that the changes they have made at the Galveston port are great for those with priority embarkation! Last January was my first priority embarkation there, and it took us *forever* to wind through the maze of people to just get to the security screeners. This time, you have a special line for security. No waiting!!! And the check-in was great, too.

Enjoy!

Hey, GuitarPlayer, we were on the 10-10 sailing of the Triumph out of Galveston. I asked your very question, because we typically sail with friends who are not platinum. And the answer was that no, it is only for the platinum guests. She said they were not allowing it anymore in order to provide a "better" (more special) experience for those platinum and suite guests.

And I have to say that the changes they have made at the Galveston port are great for those with priority embarkation! Last January was my first priority embarkation there, and it took us *forever* to wind through the maze of people to just get to the security screeners. This time, you have a special line for security. No waiting!!! And the check-in was great, too.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I hate to leave our friends at embarkation, but I'm dying to see how the "process" is different and what, exactly you get to bypass. We are planning on taking the 5 DD's with us again in 2014...I wonder if they'll let *them* (i.e. our family) go with us through VIP? Oh well, that's a long way off.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I appreciate it!

GP

We are platinum and have cruised with family and friends before who are not. Usually, we go through the VIP line and the others go through the regular line (unless they are staying in our cabin). We were told that one reason your "party" can't go through with you to the VIP area is that the VIP cards are in the VIP registration area, and everyone else's are in the regular check in area. Don't know if this is the case at all the ports or not.

Just curious...

We will be platinum this cruise out of Galveston (11/7).

We are traveling with another couple and this is their 3rd or 4th cruise.

Will we be able to stay together and all of us use VIP?

Thoughts on how that works from someone in the know?

I've heard many different "opinions," and was wondering what might be the "real story?"

GP

It's my understanding that if you're on the same sign n sail charge account then you can board together.

Archived