San Diego May 4, 2012

edgeman61

Is there something going on in San Diego at this time?

I know it's a bit early to look into Hotels for our Pacific Coastal cruise in May 2012 but the rates look to be much higher than for other times of the year. Normally we would just fly in on the day of departure but we wanted to see a little of San Diego before we left.

What makes me think there is some big event happening is that some hotels are sold out already.

I know that there is a craft brewers gathering that week (May 2 thru May 5), is there something else going on that I need to be aware of, a Navy ship coming into port or something like that?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

The convention center calendar shows a OB/GYN convention starting May 7 with 9.500 attendees. As many people arrive a day or so early, any hotels involved in this may have boosted their rates as tends to happen in convention cities. Some of the hotel search sites may have luck with smaller or lower rated hotels that would not be "official" convention hotels.

The convention center calendar shows a OB/GYN convention starting May 7 with 9.500 attendees. As many people arrive a day or so early, any hotels involved in this may have boosted their rates as tends to happen in convention cities. Some of the hotel search sites may have luck with smaller or lower rated hotels that would not be "official" convention hotels.

I had looked at the convention center calander and saw this event which starts on Monday, May 7. I thought that it would have minimal effect on a Friday, May 4 stay but as you stated the attendees may be coming in earlier to enjoy the beautiful weather and many attractions of the area.

I need to find a price point I'm comfortable with and go ahead and book. I really like to have all the pieces of the puzzle put together so I can wait for the trip in a more relaxed state.

Thanks for your response,

There are usually some "Cinco de Mayo" celebrations going on (May 5) but that shouldn't account for greatly increased hotel prices. There could be smaller conventions or corporate events that book one or two hotels that might not show up on the online events calendars. Did you check several hotels? You might do better at some of the hotels that are a little bit out of the city center, such as Harbor Island or Shelter Island or the Old Town area. None of these are far from the cruise terminal or airport, so taxi fares would be reasonable. I'd go ahead and book a room in the hotel you want as long as it's not a "prepaid" rate that has a cancellation penalty. Then keep checking prices every couple of weeks and if you see a decrease, cancel and then rebook.

Archived