midnight buffet????

babymomma1

Yes, there's midnight buffets. I don't know if other lines still have the GRAND BUFFET or not, but they were a sight to behold. But as much as I loved them, and took all those preview pictures, there was so much time putting it together and so much waste.

what kinds of midnight buffets does CCL have other than the Mexican one?

Bill

Boy oh boy am I going to look dumb! I guess I did go to the Grand Buffet on the Miracle. They did this massive display of carved fruits and chocolate not only on the Lido deck but also they had a smaller display in the atrium and buffet area. I do have pictures of it but then when we sailed on the Glory they did not have it. All they had was a piece of carved fruit here and there in the buffet area and they did a Mexican thing. Oh, I am so glad that I was able to witness and take part in probably one of the last Grand Buffets. It is sad they are no longer doing it. My husband and I only took what we would finish on our plates but we did see so many take massive amounts and then leave it for the garbage. Guess Carnival felt the waste was not worth the effort and I kind of don't blame them.

No. It was gone when you sailed Miracle. This was like ten years ago. It was in the MDR. The table streched the length of the room. Giant blocks of cheese, fruit, ice and anything you can think of carved into beautiful displays. It was quite a show. Oh, and people made a big stink when they took those away too, just like the shrimp cocktail. That was back when there was like 16 members on these forums..

Boy oh boy am I going to look dumb! I guess I did go to the Grand Buffet on the Miracle. They did this massive display of carved fruits and chocolate not only on the Lido deck but also they had a smaller display in the atrium and buffet area. I do have pictures of it but then when we sailed on the Glory they did not have it. All they had was a piece of carved fruit here and there in the buffet area and they did a Mexican thing. Oh, I am so glad that I was able to witness and take part in probably one of the last Grand Buffets. It is sad they are no longer doing it. My husband and I only took what we would finish on our plates but we did see so many take massive amounts and then leave it for the garbage. Guess Carnival felt the waste was not worth the effort and I kind of don't blame them.

From what I read, the full blown grand buffets left in 2008. You may have seen a MINI version. I've seen a mini version too, though it looks big to someone who has never seen the BIG one. Anyway, memories.:(

Iv seen the mexican buffet and maybe its because I live in Texas, but I thought that was the worst mexican Id ever eaten. terrible. No wonder no one was eating it.

I've only observe the Mexican cruisine but would never consider eating that type of food right before bed. Same when they used to have the choclate thing late at night. If someone has a cast iron stomach, dig in.

Celebrity still does a Grand Buffet but it is now presented on a sea day as a brunch. It is very much like the midnight version of the past and includes all the carvings, twisted breads, all you want shrimp, lobster dishes and all of the other goodies of the past. I sailed twice on the Solstice this year and enjoyed the buffet on both. There is a big difference in price however between Carnival and Celebrity, but I enjoy both for very different reasons.

Here are some videos

Thanks for these videos. I guess I was never privy to the Grand Buffet but a "Petite Buffet". Unfortunately even the desserts are suffering on the present cruise ships. I think I would rather pay a bit more for my cruise and get back what has been lost before we are all eating beans and bread and water :(

I remember they had one on the Imagination when I went, but I Don't remember if there was one on the Glory or not. My last three, there haven't been. They were kind of cool to see and I'm sure I have pictures somewhere of it. Not surprised they canned them though. Lot of labor and food went into the display, just for a lot of it to be thrown away.

Archived