WATERPROOF / UNDERWATER camera reviews - Sony TX10 and Panasonic TS3 (a/k/a FT3)

rockbock

Thanks for quick reply. What computer software program did you use to auto-correct? sometimes the one I have makes it too dark or icky.

Yep...very technical there :) So really appreciated an "amatuer" typical casual cruisers review. It really helped to see variety of shots and convinced me it can be a cruise worthy purchase.

I actually just used Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I tested a few of the photos in Photoshop, but it takes three clicks to autocorrect in Photoshop, plus you have to open every photo individually. With MS Office, it's just one click and then I can click on to the next photo instead of having to open each photo individually. The Photoshop autocorrect didn't look that much better than MS Office, so I went with the easier one!

I actually just used Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I tested a few of the photos in Photoshop, but it takes three clicks to autocorrect in Photoshop, plus you have to open every photo individually. With MS Office, it's just one click and then I can click on to the next photo instead of having to open each photo individually. The Photoshop autocorrect didn't look that much better than MS Office, so I went with the easier one!

Thanks.

Wow--that helped...had to go find it on computer--was hidden under Microsoft tools...that will help with batch editing for sure. And NO Cost :)

It's odd that the TX5 is priced the same as the TX10, since it's one model lower.

nope, TX5 was the last year (2010) model with video only up to 720p and relatively poor mono sound... but its touch screen *actually* work underwater, unlike the current model TX10... ;)

shoot with my TX5 @ Zuiderdam, last month.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Somonica?feature=mhee#p/u/2/_TV7EYX5cvA

The video quality is actually far, far superior on the TX10. It's odd, however, that the older model's touchscreen worked underwater and the latest model does not. But I can honestly say that there was never a time when I wanted to adjust any settings while underwater, other than to zoom (and the zoom works fine underwater).

The video quality is actually far, far superior on the TX10. It's odd, however, that the older model's touchscreen worked underwater and the latest model does not. But I can honestly say that there was never a time when I wanted to adjust any settings while underwater, other than to zoom (and the zoom works fine underwater).

yap, those 2011 sony models just shoot eye popping videos in such a small package... no wonder so few people actually shop for a camcorder now... :rolleyes:

as for the underwater touch screen, the old TX5 use less responsive "resistive" technology that work under the sea... but the TX10 use smart phone like "capacitive" screen technology which is nice and good on dry land... :o

ps: very nice video and audio from my non-water proof sony HX9v...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Somonica?feature=mhee#p/u/19/x9dPVUsf1-g

I had been debating which underwater camera to buy. We're using a 5 year old Olympus which my husband always has with him. So we missed the pictures of the nurse shark in Honduras, turtle, southern ray and spotted ray in St. Thomas. He had gotten out of the water and I stayed in. It won't happen again.

Your pictures showed me which camera I wanted. I got the camera the other day and boy is it easy to use. We leave on the 11/11/11 Mariner for Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Cayman. I can't wait to use the camera in those spots. I will post the pictures when we get back. Assuming I can figure out how.

Thanks for the review!

Sherry

I'm glad this review has helped some of you decide on your camera purchase.

This camera passed another big test for me last weekend. I've never owned a point and shoot digital camera which could take decent photos in a gymnasium/auditorium setting. I'm not sure why, but they always come out unclear and /or yellowy in color, not matter what setting I use. This camera took great photos in a school gymnasium.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, awesome pics!

I have a question though about ordering through Amazon....I've never actually made such a "large" purchase with them.....only books and such.....and I'm a little nervous about it....any thoughts/experiences you'd care to share?

Wow, awesome pics!

I have a question though about ordering through Amazon....I've never actually made such a "large" purchase with them.....only books and such.....and I'm a little nervous about it....any thoughts/experiences you'd care to share?

Between business purchases and personal purchases, I've probably ordered somewhere in the vicinity of $300,000 to $400,000 from them over the years (with some items costing over $1,000). I've never, ever had a problem with Amazon that they didn't take care of instantly.

Rockbock- thanks so much for posting those pics. I am loving the Sony TX10. After seeing your pictures I am sold on the Sony.

I am a huge Sony fan lover and have been looking into getting an underwater camera. I do believe I have found it in the TX10. Wow came out of my mouth more than a few times looking at the pictures.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, awesome pics!

I have been an Amazon user for years, and never an issue. For a recent large $699 purchase, I chose to also purchase a separate warranty that is more encompassing than store plans. For instance it covers accidents like dropping, cracked screens, water, sand etc. that normal warranty does not. The company is Square Trade and can be purchased while on Amazon site if bought there. If you do not purchase an item on Amazon though (such as Best Buy), you must go directly to their website and get warranty direct from them. I also find Amazon shipping is really fast (I am a prime member and most is free) and lots of time sales tax is not required when price comparing.

I will be purchasing my waterproof camera from Amazon prior to cruise.

• 1 month later...

It's funny that I came across this review a year after I bought my sony tx10. Well, I had no regrets buying it for myself. It's got all I need for a rugged camera. If you guys haven't bought it yet, I think it's still worth it even though there will be newer models this year as the older ones from last year will definitely be having a huge price drop.

Archived