"Real" coffee on the Star

tulch

Besides the Java Cafe, is coffee made from ground beans (versus syrup) available from any of the "available all day" coffee machines on the Star? Also, is the coffee served in the dining rooms made from syrup or ground beans? Traveling companions on upcoming cruise are quite particular!

Besides the Java Cafe, is coffee made from ground beans (versus syrup) available from any of the "available all day" coffee machines on the Star? Also, is the coffee served in the dining rooms made from syrup or ground beans? Traveling companions on upcoming cruise are quite particular!

If your companions are very particular, they may not like the coffee from the machines.

If any of you is travelling in a suite, these come with espresso machines (single use grounds). I don't know if the dining room coffee is from grounds, I do know when we got coffee at Cagneys (nightly specialty restaurant or a suite perk for breakfast and lunch) it was served French press.

When I don't have the luxury of suite life, I drink the "house" coffee such as it is and enjoy brew in port.

Since the flavor can vary greatly among the many brands, tell them to toss a bag of their favorite and some 4 cup filters in their luggage and brew their own on the ship. If you ask the room steward, you can usually get a coffee maker.

I actually feel that NCL has wonderful cofee--but it is not always wonderful at all locations. You may need to search for the "best" coffee. Here is what i have found.

• The best coffee is room service. Not sure why--but on three different ships the room service coffee was great. We ordered a pot each night and used this as our wake up call. It was always delivered on time with a warning phone call about 3 mintues before delivery.
  • At the buffet there was always one of the large pots that was signficantly better than the others. Not sure why--but many people here on CC have made the same observation. So check out the different machines.
  • Oddly enough coffee in the MDRs was not that great--it wasn't bad. I think it soemtimes just sat too long.

Anyone know where the coffee machine with real beans is located on the Star? And thank you for the suggestion (which should have been obvious -- duh, me!!) to just bring your own ground coffee and some filters!

I actually feel that NCL has wonderful cofee--but it is not always wonderful at all locations. You may need to search for the "best" coffee. Here is what i have found.

• The best coffee is room service. Not sure why--but on three different ships the room service coffee was great. We ordered a pot each night and used this as our wake up call. It was always delivered on time with a warning phone call about 3 mintues before delivery.
  • At the buffet there was always one of the large pots that was signficantly better than the others. Not sure why--but many people here on CC have made the same observation. So check out the different machines.
  • Oddly enough coffee in the MDRs was not that great--it wasn't bad. I think it soemtimes just sat too long.

In this thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1459908&highlight=coffee) we established that the addition of Irish whiskey or Kahlua or Cream d'mint or Baily's or Captain Morgan can improve the MDR coffee.

Honestly, the last thing I would do is bring coffee with me--those pots in hotel rooms (or ship rooms) are just never very good. . . coffee always taste bad and then there is no cream etc. Really, at least try room service. . .nice piping hot fresh pot with nice glass cups and fresh cream and a sugar bowl. . .sometimes its more about the ritual. . .:) of course some people do really love their own brand so each to his own. But really, this is not like a few years ago when they were really serving up some coffee syrup swill. The coffee really is fine.

I have the NCL book and it states that it has a Java Cafe (coffee bar) that is complimentary. If I remember our cruise on the GEM the coffee bar that I seen had a charge? It was set up next to the big screen on the GEM, unless I thought there was a charge when in fact there was not.

We are also coffee snobs, used to bring filters & ground coffee but now that Starbucks has come out with their "instant" coffee single servings, life is much easier. Give them a try, they are not cheap , they're not espresso but they are very good, very easy to pack. Just toss however many you need into a small ziplock bag, they are light and take up very little space.

Archived