Travel Warning - Haiti

Jobro2

TPKeller:

Thanks for your post...I don't know why it seems when someone (this time it happened to be me..) submits a post, there always seem to be people who must cause problems or make the person who posted the question stupid for asking such....I noticed this warning on the US State site...it did cause me some concern, which is why I posted such. I thought that that is what this board is for...

Excuse me now while I take cover before the meteor hits....

First, let me say that I have stopped at Labadee 5 times. It is one of my favorite places. The beach and scenery are incredible. I am finding it a bit funny that everyone is saying there are armed guards along a fence. Yes, that does provide reassurance that trouble could be prevented from arriving by land, but what about by sea.

We stopped at Labadee in 2002, and three rowboats rowed up to our ship and the occupants started begging for money. People on the pool deck were throwing dollar bills overboard. They would row as fast as possible to retrieve them before they sank. Eventually security in a silver speed boat chased them away.

Our our last cruise, in March of this year, we saw a similar incident. After the last tender had returned to the ship, we were relaxing on our balcony. when we saw a rowboat go into the beach we had just left. We pulled out our binocs. to see what was up. One man stayed with the boat and two others ran from garbage can to garbage can and scoured the beach grabbing up items. Overall these two experiences were very sad to witness. There are obvioulsly some very poor people in the area. I am just saying I hope RCCL is watching the sea approach as much as they are watching the fence.

Archived