The Skinny on Carnival Splendor's Gym

phroggie

Sorry I didn't notice the free weights and some of the other stuff. I just focused on the strength training machines.

Carnival Splendor has about 12 treadmills, 3 recumbent and 5 upright "bikes" (or was it 5 recumbent and 3 upright?) and 8 ellipticals. All appear to be LifeFitness "95T Inspire" series. I could view the ship's video but I wasn't able to view my iPhone's video on the screen (but I didn't try all that hard, maybe it's possible).

They have very good selection of LifeFitness Signature Series machines that are beautifully maintained (unlike the throughly trashed ones at Bally Total Fitness).

It officially opens at 06:00 but even at 05:45 it was open.

When you go, say "hi!" to Green Tile Chick for me.

Here are some pix of the circuit machines. Sorry for the poor quality but my iPhone is old, the lighting is bad and the ship was rocking.

6067830324_582bf22ca6.jpg

From left: pectoral fly; chest press; shoulder press and squat., on Flickr

----------------------

6067286585_5877e4e84e.jpg

From left: pull down; seated row; bicep curl., on Flickr

-----------------------

6067831384_2302de4f0e.jpg

From left:back extension; abdominal; torso rotation; tricep press

, on Flickr

------------------------

6067287301_d6464e0cb9.jpg

From left: leg extention; seated leg curl; hip abduction; hip adduction, on Flickr

I don't know what it is, but every time I hit the ellipticals on Carnival ships, they just don't feel right. The models are different than my local gym...but I go to several different gyms that have 6 different types of ellipticals between them, and they don't give me problems. Does anyone else think they just feel odd? I use them onboard, but don't enjoy it as much as the ones at home. The bikes and tradmills are okay though.

• 3 years later...

We (my family) are seriously considering going on the Splendor in late August. Does the gym get busy, especially early in the morning for either/both the weight machines and aerobic machines (treadmills, bikes)?

I know it is vacation, but if we go on this cruise I will be missing out on a mud run (I had already registered for), and want to still keep up my exercise routine (maybe even creating my own mini-marathon by swimming a few laps, hopping onto the stationary bike for a few miles, then heading up to the track for a 5K (would it really be 32 laps for a 10K?).

[Yeah, I know this is an old thread, and yeah, I know those pictures are really, really old, but why start a new thread on this same subject?]

We (my family) are seriously considering going on the Splendor in late August. Does the gym get busy, especially early in the morning for either/both the weight machines and aerobic machines (treadmills, bikes)?

I know it is vacation, but if we go on this cruise I will be missing out on a mud run (I had already registered for), and want to still keep up my exercise routine (maybe even creating my own mini-marathon by swimming a few laps, hopping onto the stationary bike for a few miles, then heading up to the track for a 5K (would it really be 32 laps for a 10K?).

[Yeah, I know this is an old thread, and yeah, I know those pictures are really, really old, but why start a new thread on this same subject?]

I was on the Splendor last month and worked out in the gym every day. There was plenty of availability on the treadmills and elliptical machines. I did the weight machines only one day and didn't have a problem getting a machine, although there are only so many, so you might have to wait a few minutes for your turn on a particular one. I didn't run on the track but the sign on it said 10 loops = 1 mile. That would have driven me nuts so I just stuck to the treadmill. I also did the spin classes and yoga classes.

@Xyla:

Thank you for the info!

I also realize that the crowds can change from one week to the next.

I enjoy running on deck early in the morning (and hurdling the water hoses as the crew does their cleaning) - it is a really nice change from running on land. I am surprised that the track is so small, I was on the Legend (RCI) two years ago, which is 1/3 the size of the Splendor, and the track was 1/4 mile. [i may try the track first, then probably also wind up using the treadmill,]

Just waiting to hear back from a few people so I can book it.

Thanks again,

Lon

Edited by Travel R

Every time I would go in there all of the ellipticals were taken except for the one on the end, and I kept hitting my head on the slanted ceiling, lol.

LOL! I'll keep that in mind.

We have booked the trip and cannot wait to go! I was able to move the starting time of my mud run to later in the day (that we return). However, I am planning on doing that mini-triathlon I mentioned above. Since the gym opens an hour earlier (7 am), I will begin with running the 5k on the treadmill (due to the length of the outside track, and so I do not need worry about weather), then hit the stationary bike for 10 miles, then hit swimming pool last (it traditionally is first) and see if I can make anything out of a 12 yard lap. Technically a triathlon can be any three exercises - if swimming does not look like it will be reasonable, does anyone have any other suggestions? (e.g., do they have jump ropes available in the gym?)

If anyone is on my ship (see below), and wants to join me, please do. If anyone tries anything like this on their cruises, let me know how it worked out.

For most of you that are reading this and shaking your heads - yeah, I know it is vacation, but for some of us exercising relaxes the mind, and a little exercising followed by an entire day of physical relaxation can be a good thing.

Edited by Travel R

Travel R, good luck with trying to swim laps. The pools aren't that big, one good push off, a glide, a half stroke and you'll touch the other side. Plus they don't open until 8A and people aren't swimming, mostly floating or lounging in the pool or the kids are bouncing around all over. Prior to 8A they are usually cleaning the pool area and may not let you in the water.